Re: [Clip] rounding in a clip

  • loro
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
      Me said:
      >I think ROUND is what you're looking for.

      Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.

      ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$

      Lotta
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
        I did get your first post after your second. It appears that you simply
        put it inside the calc. I have to say the help on these two things
        (math functions and calc) aren't all that explanative. Floor does
        appear to do it and by putting it in a calc, then I should be rolling.

        The other answer was interesting. I never thought of it, but
        subtracting .49999 would get one the same result. Seems to make sense.

        loro wrote:

        > Me said:
        >
        >>I think ROUND is what you're looking for.
        >

        > Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.
        >
        > ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
        >
        > Lotta
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
          Don,

          Well, your original question WAS overwhelming ;-)

          This post (and what follows it) could be of some help:

          Larry Thomas dug into calculations with NoteTab a while back. He
          lives on...

          For your specific situation you could look into MOD maybe, it gives
          you the remainder: 395 MOD 60 = 35... I really cannot help you with
          the specific use of all the functions.

          Hugo
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
            Don Passenger wrote:
            > I wrote a week or two ago seeking a solution to a problem I had. The
            > list has always been most helpful, but for some reason this time I got
            > zero responses, so perhaps I asked the wrong way. So I guess I will try
            > something simpler and then piece it together.
            >
            > If say I take the number 395, I want to divide it by 60 ... and I get
            > 6.58333333
            > I want to round this down to 6 (ie toss the remainder).
            > Is there a math function to do this?
            > I suppose if I made it a string I could toss everything including and
            > after the period.

            Don,

            I recall you saying you always want to round down to a whole number.
            The following 2 operators appear to always give the same result by
            rounding down.

            ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
            ^$Calc(INT(395/60);0)$

            hrs