Re: [Clip] rounding in a clip

  • loro
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
      Me said:
      >I think ROUND is what you're looking for.

      Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.

      ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$

      Lotta
    • Ben B
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
        On Sunday, Oct 03, 2004
        Don Passenger wrote regarding "rounding in a clip";

        > It appears that these math functions are only available via
        > control+e and not in clips?
        >
        > floor(395/60)=6
        > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

        Hi Don,

        As an experiment I tried this and it seems to work:

        ^!Set %value%=^$CALC(FLOOR(395/60))$
        ^%value%

        Of course you'll have to modify it to your specific needs.

        HTH
        Ben
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
          I did get your first post after your second. It appears that you simply
          put it inside the calc. I have to say the help on these two things
          (math functions and calc) aren't all that explanative. Floor does
          appear to do it and by putting it in a calc, then I should be rolling.

          The other answer was interesting. I never thought of it, but
          subtracting .49999 would get one the same result. Seems to make sense.

          loro wrote:

          > Me said:
          >
          >>I think ROUND is what you're looking for.
          >

          > Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.
          >
          > ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
          >
          > Lotta
        • Hugo Paulissen
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
            Don,

            Well, your original question WAS overwhelming ;-)

            This post (and what follows it) could be of some help:

            Larry Thomas dug into calculations with NoteTab a while back. He
            lives on...

            For your specific situation you could look into MOD maybe, it gives
            you the remainder: 395 MOD 60 = 35... I really cannot help you with
            the specific use of all the functions.

            Hugo
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
              Don Passenger wrote:
              > I wrote a week or two ago seeking a solution to a problem I had. The
              > list has always been most helpful, but for some reason this time I got
              > zero responses, so perhaps I asked the wrong way. So I guess I will try
              > something simpler and then piece it together.
              >
              > If say I take the number 395, I want to divide it by 60 ... and I get
              > 6.58333333
              > I want to round this down to 6 (ie toss the remainder).
              > Is there a math function to do this?
              > I suppose if I made it a string I could toss everything including and
              > after the period.

              Don,

              I recall you saying you always want to round down to a whole number.
              The following 2 operators appear to always give the same result by
              rounding down.

              ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
              ^$Calc(INT(395/60);0)$

              hrs