Re: [Clip] rounding in a clip

  • loro
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
      Don Passenger wrote:
      >Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
      >problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
      >control+e and not in clips?
      >
      >floor(395/60)=6
      >so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

      I guess my first reply hasn't rolled in yet, the one about ROUND.
      yahoogroups is slow again.

      ^!Info ^$Calc(ROUND(395/60))$

      You can do the same with CEIL and FLOOR, but I think ROUND is what you're
      looking for.

      Lotta
    • loro
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
        Me said:
        >I think ROUND is what you're looking for.

        Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.

        ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$

        Lotta
      • Ben B
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
          On Sunday, Oct 03, 2004
          Don Passenger wrote regarding "rounding in a clip";

          > It appears that these math functions are only available via
          > control+e and not in clips?
          >
          > floor(395/60)=6
          > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

          Hi Don,

          As an experiment I tried this and it seems to work:

          ^!Set %value%=^$CALC(FLOOR(395/60))$
          ^%value%

          Of course you'll have to modify it to your specific needs.

          HTH
          Ben
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
            I did get your first post after your second. It appears that you simply
            put it inside the calc. I have to say the help on these two things
            (math functions and calc) aren't all that explanative. Floor does
            appear to do it and by putting it in a calc, then I should be rolling.

            The other answer was interesting. I never thought of it, but
            subtracting .49999 would get one the same result. Seems to make sense.

            loro wrote:

            > Me said:
            >
            >>I think ROUND is what you're looking for.
            >

            > Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.
            >
            > ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
            >
            > Lotta
          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
              Don,

              Well, your original question WAS overwhelming ;-)

              This post (and what follows it) could be of some help:

              Larry Thomas dug into calculations with NoteTab a while back. He
              lives on...

              For your specific situation you could look into MOD maybe, it gives
              you the remainder: 395 MOD 60 = 35... I really cannot help you with
              the specific use of all the functions.

              Hugo
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                Don Passenger wrote:
                > I wrote a week or two ago seeking a solution to a problem I had. The
                > list has always been most helpful, but for some reason this time I got
                > zero responses, so perhaps I asked the wrong way. So I guess I will try
                > something simpler and then piece it together.
                >
                > If say I take the number 395, I want to divide it by 60 ... and I get
                > 6.58333333
                > I want to round this down to 6 (ie toss the remainder).
                > Is there a math function to do this?
                > I suppose if I made it a string I could toss everything including and
                > after the period.

                Don,

                I recall you saying you always want to round down to a whole number.
                The following 2 operators appear to always give the same result by
                rounding down.

                ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
                ^$Calc(INT(395/60);0)$

                hrs