Re: [Clip] rounding in a clip

  • Warner Hughes
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
      Don,
      If you subtract .5 from the number first (possibly .4999) it would be the
      same as rounding down.

      Test
      ^!set %x%=^$Calc(395/60-.49999;0)$
      ^!Info ^395/60=^%x%
      ^!set %x%=^$Calc(360/60-.49999;0)$
      ^!Info 360/60=^%x%
      ^!set %x%=^$Calc(359.999/60-.49999;0)$
      ^!Info 359.999/60=^%x%
      Warner

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
        Don Passenger wrote:
        >Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
        >problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
        >control+e and not in clips?
        >
        >floor(395/60)=6
        >so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

        I guess my first reply hasn't rolled in yet, the one about ROUND.
        yahoogroups is slow again.

        ^!Info ^$Calc(ROUND(395/60))$

        You can do the same with CEIL and FLOOR, but I think ROUND is what you're
        looking for.

        Lotta
      • loro
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
          Me said:
          >I think ROUND is what you're looking for.

          Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.

          ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$

          Lotta
        • Ben B
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
            On Sunday, Oct 03, 2004
            Don Passenger wrote regarding "rounding in a clip";

            > It appears that these math functions are only available via
            > control+e and not in clips?
            >
            > floor(395/60)=6
            > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

            Hi Don,

            As an experiment I tried this and it seems to work:

            ^!Set %value%=^$CALC(FLOOR(395/60))$
            ^%value%

            Of course you'll have to modify it to your specific needs.

            HTH
            Ben
          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
              I did get your first post after your second. It appears that you simply
              put it inside the calc. I have to say the help on these two things
              (math functions and calc) aren't all that explanative. Floor does
              appear to do it and by putting it in a calc, then I should be rolling.

              The other answer was interesting. I never thought of it, but
              subtracting .49999 would get one the same result. Seems to make sense.

              loro wrote:

              > Me said:
              >
              >>I think ROUND is what you're looking for.
              >

              > Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.
              >
              > ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
              >
              > Lotta
            • Hugo Paulissen
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                Don,

                Well, your original question WAS overwhelming ;-)

                This post (and what follows it) could be of some help:

                Larry Thomas dug into calculations with NoteTab a while back. He
                lives on...

                For your specific situation you could look into MOD maybe, it gives
                you the remainder: 395 MOD 60 = 35... I really cannot help you with
                the specific use of all the functions.

                Hugo
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Don Passenger wrote:
                  > I wrote a week or two ago seeking a solution to a problem I had. The
                  > list has always been most helpful, but for some reason this time I got
                  > zero responses, so perhaps I asked the wrong way. So I guess I will try
                  > something simpler and then piece it together.
                  >
                  > If say I take the number 395, I want to divide it by 60 ... and I get
                  > 6.58333333
                  > I want to round this down to 6 (ie toss the remainder).
                  > Is there a math function to do this?
                  > I suppose if I made it a string I could toss everything including and
                  > after the period.

                  Don,

                  I recall you saying you always want to round down to a whole number.
                  The following 2 operators appear to always give the same result by
                  rounding down.

                  ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
                  ^$Calc(INT(395/60);0)$

                  hrs