Re: [Clip] rounding in a clip

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
      Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
      problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
      control+e and not in clips?

      floor(395/60)=6
      so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

      loro wrote:

      > I didn't see this part.
      >

      >>I also find a ROUND function in math help, but again no explaination of
      >>how it works. How might this compare to the rounddown() function in
      >>excel for example? That program offers roundup(), rounddown() and round().
      >

      > I don't know Excel, but I have a hunch that CEIL and FLOOR correspond to
      > roundup() and rounddown()...
      >
      > Lotta
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Warner Hughes
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
        Don,
        If you subtract .5 from the number first (possibly .4999) it would be the
        same as rounding down.

        Test
        ^!set %x%=^$Calc(395/60-.49999;0)$
        ^!Info ^395/60=^%x%
        ^!set %x%=^$Calc(360/60-.49999;0)$
        ^!Info 360/60=^%x%
        ^!set %x%=^$Calc(359.999/60-.49999;0)$
        ^!Info 359.999/60=^%x%
        Warner

        > Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
        > problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
        > control+e and not in clips?
        >
        > floor(395/60)=6
        > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?
        >
        > loro wrote:
        >
        >> I didn't see this part.
        >>

        >>>I also find a ROUND function in math help, but again no explaination of
        >>>how it works. How might this compare to the rounddown() function in
        >>>excel for example? That program offers roundup(), rounddown() and
        >>>round().
        >>

        >> I don't know Excel, but I have a hunch that CEIL and FLOOR correspond to
        >> roundup() and rounddown()...
        >>
        >> Lotta
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Don,
        If you subtract .5 from the number first (possibly .4999) it would be the
        same as rounding down.

        Test
        ^!set %x%=^$Calc(395/60-.49999;0)$
        ^!Info ^395/60=^%x%
        ^!set %x%=^$Calc(360/60-.49999;0)$
        ^!Info 360/60=^%x%
        ^!set %x%=^$Calc(359.999/60-.49999;0)$
        ^!Info 359.999/60=^%x%
        Warner

        > Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
        > problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
        > control+e and not in clips?
        >
        > floor(395/60)=6
        > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?
        >
        > loro wrote:
        >
        >> I didn't see this part.
        >>

        >>>I also find a ROUND function in math help, but again no explaination of
        >>>how it works. How might this compare to the rounddown() function in
        >>>excel for example? That program offers roundup(), rounddown() and
        >>>round().
        >>

        >> I don't know Excel, but I have a hunch that CEIL and FLOOR correspond to
        >> roundup() and rounddown()...
        >>
        >> Lotta
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • loro
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
          Don Passenger wrote:
          >Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
          >problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
          >control+e and not in clips?
          >
          >floor(395/60)=6
          >so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

          I guess my first reply hasn't rolled in yet, the one about ROUND.
          yahoogroups is slow again.

          ^!Info ^$Calc(ROUND(395/60))$

          You can do the same with CEIL and FLOOR, but I think ROUND is what you're
          looking for.

          Lotta
        • loro
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
            Me said:
            >I think ROUND is what you're looking for.

            Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.

            ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$

            Lotta
          • Ben B
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
              On Sunday, Oct 03, 2004
              Don Passenger wrote regarding "rounding in a clip";

              > It appears that these math functions are only available via
              > control+e and not in clips?
              >
              > floor(395/60)=6
              > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

              Hi Don,

              As an experiment I tried this and it seems to work:

              ^!Set %value%=^$CALC(FLOOR(395/60))$
              ^%value%

              Of course you'll have to modify it to your specific needs.

              HTH
              Ben
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                I did get your first post after your second. It appears that you simply
                put it inside the calc. I have to say the help on these two things
                (math functions and calc) aren't all that explanative. Floor does
                appear to do it and by putting it in a calc, then I should be rolling.

                The other answer was interesting. I never thought of it, but
                subtracting .49999 would get one the same result. Seems to make sense.

                loro wrote:

                > Me said:
                >
                >>I think ROUND is what you're looking for.
                >

                > Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.
                >
                > ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
                >
                > Lotta
              • Hugo Paulissen
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Don,

                  Well, your original question WAS overwhelming ;-)

                  This post (and what follows it) could be of some help:

                  Larry Thomas dug into calculations with NoteTab a while back. He
                  lives on...

                  For your specific situation you could look into MOD maybe, it gives
                  you the remainder: 395 MOD 60 = 35... I really cannot help you with
                  the specific use of all the functions.

                  Hugo
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Don Passenger wrote:
                    > I wrote a week or two ago seeking a solution to a problem I had. The
                    > list has always been most helpful, but for some reason this time I got
                    > zero responses, so perhaps I asked the wrong way. So I guess I will try
                    > something simpler and then piece it together.
                    >
                    > If say I take the number 395, I want to divide it by 60 ... and I get
                    > 6.58333333
                    > I want to round this down to 6 (ie toss the remainder).
                    > Is there a math function to do this?
                    > I suppose if I made it a string I could toss everything including and
                    > after the period.

                    Don,

                    I recall you saying you always want to round down to a whole number.
                    The following 2 operators appear to always give the same result by
                    rounding down.

                    ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
                    ^$Calc(INT(395/60);0)$

                    hrs