rounding in a clip

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
      I wrote a week or two ago seeking a solution to a problem I had. The
      list has always been most helpful, but for some reason this time I got
      zero responses, so perhaps I asked the wrong way. So I guess I will try
      something simpler and then piece it together.

      If say I take the number 395, I want to divide it by 60 ... and I get
      6.58333333
      I want to round this down to 6 (ie toss the remainder).
      Is there a math function to do this?
      I suppose if I made it a string I could toss everything including and
      after the period.

      I was using:
      ^!Set %name_variable%=^$Calc(^%seconds%/60;0)$

      This seems to create rounding with anything .5 or greater going up.
      Nothing in help I am finding documents this.

      I also find a ROUND function in math help, but again no explaination of
      how it works. How might this compare to the rounddown() function in
      excel for example? That program offers roundup(), rounddown() and round().

      Am I missing something in help?
      Is there a way to simplify what I am doing?
    • loro
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
        At 21:41 2004-10-03, Don Passenger wrote:

        >If say I take the number 395, I want to divide it by 60 ... and I get
        >6.58333333
        >I want to round this down to 6 (ie toss the remainder).
        >Is there a math function to do this?

        Not sure, the math functions aren't really explained, but I think ROUND()
        does what you want. It seems to round to the closest integer with a
        preference for even numbers. I.e. 2.5 is rounded to 2 and 3.5 is rounded to 4.

        ^!Info ^$Calc(ROUND(395/60))$

        Lotta
      • loro
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
          I didn't see this part.

          >I also find a ROUND function in math help, but again no explaination of
          >how it works. How might this compare to the rounddown() function in
          >excel for example? That program offers roundup(), rounddown() and round().

          I don't know Excel, but I have a hunch that CEIL and FLOOR correspond to
          roundup() and rounddown()...

          Lotta
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
            Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
            problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
            control+e and not in clips?

            floor(395/60)=6
            so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

            loro wrote:

            > I didn't see this part.
            >

            >>I also find a ROUND function in math help, but again no explaination of
            >>how it works. How might this compare to the rounddown() function in
            >>excel for example? That program offers roundup(), rounddown() and round().
            >

            > I don't know Excel, but I have a hunch that CEIL and FLOOR correspond to
            > roundup() and rounddown()...
            >
            > Lotta
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Warner Hughes
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
              Don,
              If you subtract .5 from the number first (possibly .4999) it would be the
              same as rounding down.

              Test
              ^!set %x%=^$Calc(395/60-.49999;0)$
              ^!Info ^395/60=^%x%
              ^!set %x%=^$Calc(360/60-.49999;0)$
              ^!Info 360/60=^%x%
              ^!set %x%=^$Calc(359.999/60-.49999;0)$
              ^!Info 359.999/60=^%x%
              Warner

              > Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
              > problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
              > control+e and not in clips?
              >
              > floor(395/60)=6
              > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?
              >
              > loro wrote:
              >
              >> I didn't see this part.
              >>

              >>>I also find a ROUND function in math help, but again no explaination of
              >>>how it works. How might this compare to the rounddown() function in
              >>>excel for example? That program offers roundup(), rounddown() and
              >>>round().
              >>

              >> I don't know Excel, but I have a hunch that CEIL and FLOOR correspond to
              >> roundup() and rounddown()...
              >>
              >> Lotta
              >>

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Don,
              If you subtract .5 from the number first (possibly .4999) it would be the
              same as rounding down.

              Test
              ^!set %x%=^$Calc(395/60-.49999;0)$
              ^!Info ^395/60=^%x%
              ^!set %x%=^$Calc(360/60-.49999;0)$
              ^!Info 360/60=^%x%
              ^!set %x%=^$Calc(359.999/60-.49999;0)$
              ^!Info 359.999/60=^%x%
              Warner

              > Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
              > problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
              > control+e and not in clips?
              >
              > floor(395/60)=6
              > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?
              >
              > loro wrote:
              >
              >> I didn't see this part.
              >>

              >>>I also find a ROUND function in math help, but again no explaination of
              >>>how it works. How might this compare to the rounddown() function in
              >>>excel for example? That program offers roundup(), rounddown() and
              >>>round().
              >>

              >> I don't know Excel, but I have a hunch that CEIL and FLOOR correspond to
              >> roundup() and rounddown()...
              >>
              >> Lotta
              >>

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • loro
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                Don Passenger wrote:
                >Thanks for the quick response Lotta, I am finding an additional
                >problem. It appears that these math functions are only available via
                >control+e and not in clips?
                >
                >floor(395/60)=6
                >so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

                I guess my first reply hasn't rolled in yet, the one about ROUND.
                yahoogroups is slow again.

                ^!Info ^$Calc(ROUND(395/60))$

                You can do the same with CEIL and FLOOR, but I think ROUND is what you're
                looking for.

                Lotta
              • loro
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Me said:
                  >I think ROUND is what you're looking for.

                  Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.

                  ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$

                  Lotta
                • Ben B
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                    On Sunday, Oct 03, 2004
                    Don Passenger wrote regarding "rounding in a clip";

                    > It appears that these math functions are only available via
                    > control+e and not in clips?
                    >
                    > floor(395/60)=6
                    > so this does work ... but how do I get it to go in a clip ... if I can?

                    Hi Don,

                    As an experiment I tried this and it seems to work:

                    ^!Set %value%=^$CALC(FLOOR(395/60))$
                    ^%value%

                    Of course you'll have to modify it to your specific needs.

                    HTH
                    Ben
                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                      I did get your first post after your second. It appears that you simply
                      put it inside the calc. I have to say the help on these two things
                      (math functions and calc) aren't all that explanative. Floor does
                      appear to do it and by putting it in a calc, then I should be rolling.

                      The other answer was interesting. I never thought of it, but
                      subtracting .49999 would get one the same result. Seems to make sense.

                      loro wrote:

                      > Me said:
                      >
                      >>I think ROUND is what you're looking for.
                      >

                      > Sheesh, I read sloppy. You said round DOWN. Then it's FLOOR you want.
                      >
                      > ^!Info ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
                      >
                      > Lotta
                    • Hugo Paulissen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                        Don,

                        Well, your original question WAS overwhelming ;-)

                        This post (and what follows it) could be of some help:

                        Larry Thomas dug into calculations with NoteTab a while back. He
                        lives on...

                        For your specific situation you could look into MOD maybe, it gives
                        you the remainder: 395 MOD 60 = 35... I really cannot help you with
                        the specific use of all the functions.

                        Hugo
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                          Don Passenger wrote:
                          > I wrote a week or two ago seeking a solution to a problem I had. The
                          > list has always been most helpful, but for some reason this time I got
                          > zero responses, so perhaps I asked the wrong way. So I guess I will try
                          > something simpler and then piece it together.
                          >
                          > If say I take the number 395, I want to divide it by 60 ... and I get
                          > 6.58333333
                          > I want to round this down to 6 (ie toss the remainder).
                          > Is there a math function to do this?
                          > I suppose if I made it a string I could toss everything including and
                          > after the period.

                          Don,

                          I recall you saying you always want to round down to a whole number.
                          The following 2 operators appear to always give the same result by
                          rounding down.

                          ^$Calc(FLOOR(395/60))$
                          ^$Calc(INT(395/60);0)$

                          hrs