ClipWriter Review/Feedback

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 30, 2004
      Somewhat to my surprise, given the obvious connection between Notetab
      Pro and ClipWriter, there is very little discussion of ClipWriter
      anywhere in the Notetab groups. I was hoping to find user opinions and
      comments, good or bad.

      If there are any ClipWriter users out there who would like to share
      their experiences please post here or feel free to contact me directly
      at notetab AT lists DOT joggernet DOT com. Likewise, if you tried
      ClipWriter and decided to revert to the Notepad clip editor I'd be
      interested to hear your thoughts.

      Regards, John M
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
        Hi John,

        Have a look at my ClipcodeSyntax_v4.02.zip in our Files area as
        well. It is a clip-driven clip writer, works with all flavors of
        NoteTab, and is free.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
          Hi All,

          Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
          computer and preferably the SP number? I need to use a Clip to do
          it. If it is in the registry it cannot be a binary entry. I would
          hope that is where I look instead of guessing a file dates. <g>

          It would be something like the following. I can build the Clip; I just
          need to know where to look. ^$ExpandEnv("Str")$ doesn't find it, but
          it looked kind of good until it returned Windows_NT for my XP SP2.

          ^$GetRegValue("[BaseRoot\]Key[:Name]")$ (added in v4.8)
          Returns the value stored under the specified key in the Windows
          Registry. If BaseRoot is not defined, then HKEY_CURRENT_USER is
          used. If no value is specified for Name, the "(Default)" name is
          used. Returns an empty string if the key does not exist. Example:
          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Beta:UserName)$ -> Raymond

          ^$GetRegValue(Control Panel\International:sDate)$ -> /

          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.386)$ -> vxdfile

          Version 4.83: if the Key value contains a colon, the Clip
          interpreter will incorrectly assume it marks the limit between the
          Key and Name elements. To remedy this situation, use a double
          colon after the key name. Example:
          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\c:Temp::Folder)$

          Thanks!
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
          See ya in the funnies!
          http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
          http://www.sojourner.us/software
          notetab.net, fookes.us

        • Julie
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
            winver works from the run line
            If that's what you're asking :-)

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
              oh yeah... it just needs to be converted to text somehow ;-)

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                Hi Julie,

                Yeppers, but thanks! :) There's got to be away. I'm sure one of
                the programmers will know how to get what Windows version and
                service pack a computer is running via Clip code. I imagine it is
                just a matter of knowing where to look for it in the registry.

                >oh yeah... it just needs to be converted to text somehow ;-)
                >
                >At 09:04 PM 10/11/2004 -0400, you wrote:
                >
                >> winver works from the run line If that's what you're asking :-)

              • Pete Turner
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                  G'day Jody,

                  > Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
                  > computer and preferably the SP number? I need to use a Clip to do
                  > it. If it is in the registry it cannot be a binary entry. I would
                  > hope that is where I look instead of guessing a file dates. <g>

                  You might find what you're looking for (on Windows 2000, at least) in
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

                  Pete
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                    Jody,

                    Here is a clip I started a couple of years ago.

                    At least as a "data pack rat" my wife cannot complain about all the junk
                    lying around! ;-)

                    It at least shows where the version information is located for the 9x
                    and NT variations of Windows. This one is hard-coded to do Windows NT
                    variations, since that is the PC I was using. This should at least get
                    you started. I recall it took me a few hours of Googling to track this
                    down. I found a lot of information at sites for C++ coding. I would like
                    to know how to find the SP# if you find it.

                    ---------< start clip >---------
                    ;07/24/2002 Larry Hamilton lmh@...
                    ;Windows 95, 98 and Me:
                    ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
                    ;Windows NT, 2000 and XP:
                    ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

                    ^!SetDebug ON
                    ;
                    ^!Set
                    %ProductName%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                    NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
                    ;
                    ;
                    ^!Set
                    %CurrentVersion%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                    NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentVersion)$
                    ;
                    ;
                    ^!Set
                    %CurrentType%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                    NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentType)$
                    ;

                    ;
                    ;^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                    NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
                    ;
                    ^!Info ^%ProductName% ^%CurrentVersion% ^%CurrentType%
                    ---------< end clip >-----------

                    Here is a VBScript file I was working on at that time and it shows what
                    version of Windows each number equals. I think this is a modification of
                    something I found online, but I do not see any links. I do not have any
                    notes on service packs though, but I am sure it must be in the registry
                    somewhere.

                    <Copy Below This Line - NOTE: The single quote/apostrophe is a VBS comment.>
                    '07/24/2002 Larry Hamilton lmh@...
                    'Windows 95, 98 and Me:
                    '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
                    'Windows NT, 2000 and XP:
                    '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

                    Option Explicit:Dim ws, t, p1, p2, n, g, q, cn, cg
                    Set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
                    t = "View Windows Version Utility"
                    p1 = "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"
                    n = ws.RegRead(p1 & "ProductName")
                    g = ws.RegRead(p1 & "CurrentVersion")
                    q = ws.RegRead(p1 & "CurrentType")
                    'cn = InputBox("Product Name", t, n)
                    'cg = InputBox("Version", t, g)

                    WScript.Echo "ProductName: " & n
                    'If g > 5.0 Then 'Windows 2000 Test
                    If g > 4.9 Then
                    ' WScript.Echo "CurrentVersion: " & g & " Not Supported"
                    WScript.Echo "CurrentVersion: " & n & " Not Supported"
                    Else
                    WScript.Echo "CurrentVersion: " & g
                    End If
                    WScript.Echo "CurrentType: " & q
                    'WScript.Echo
                    WshShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\software\Windows
                    NT\CurrentVersion")
                    'WScript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Microsoft\software\Windows
                    NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName")
                    'WScript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Microsoft\software\Windows
                    NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion")
                    'WScript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Microsoft\software\Windows
                    NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentType")

                    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\software\(officeversion)\registration

                    'Windows Versions:
                    '¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                    'Windows 9x versions:
                    '¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                    '4.0.950 Windows 95
                    '4.0.1111 Windows 95 OSR 2 & 2.1
                    '4.0.1212 Windows 95 OSR 2.5
                    '4.1.1998 Windows 98
                    '4.1.2222 Windows 98 Second Edition
                    '4.9.3000 Windows ME

                    'Windows NT versions:
                    '¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                    '3.51.1057 Windows NT 3.51
                    '4.0.1381 Windows NT 4.0
                    '5.0.2195 Windows 2000
                    '5.01.2600 Windows XP

                    <Copy Above This Line>

                    Larry Hamilton
                    lmh@...
                    My Webpage

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                      Hi Pete

                      >G'day Jody,

                      :-)

                      ^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$

                      Can you tell me what that puts out for your Win2000 machine please?
                      What it does get wrapped; it's one line.

                      This is what my XP SP2 looks like FWIW: 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

                      And the ProductName, but it doesn't tell much: Microsoft Windows XP

                      You can just put that bare code into a Clip and click on it into a new document:
                      ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$

                      Thanks,
                      Jody

                      >> Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
                      >> computer and preferably the SP number? I need to use a Clip to do
                      >> it. If it is in the registry it cannot be a binary entry. I would
                      >> hope that is where I look instead of guessing a file dates. <g>
                      >

                      >You might find what you're looking for (on Windows 2000, at least) in
                      >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
                      >

                      >Pete
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Pete Turner
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                        G'day Larry,

                        > I would like to know how to find the SP# if you find it.

                        NT\CurrentVersion\CSDVersion

                        contains a text string e.g. 'Service Pack 4' (this on Windows 2000).

                        Pete
                      • Pete Turner
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                          Hi Jody,

                          ^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                          NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$

                          gives me nothing, as I don't have that node in my Windows 2000 registry.

                          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                          NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
                          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                          NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentVersion)$
                          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                          NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentBuildNumber)$
                          ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                          NT\CurrentVersion:CSDVersion)$

                          gives me the following:-

                          Microsoft Windows 2000
                          5.0
                          2195
                          Service Pack 4

                          Which is what appears on the winver window: Version 5.0 (Build 2195:
                          Service Pack 4).

                          I'll have a look on my Win XP machine when I get home tonight and see
                          what I can find.

                          Pete

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Larry Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                            Jody/Pete,

                            I modified my clip to use the last three values below and get this on
                            Windows XP Home SP2:

                            Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2

                            The clip for the buildlab gives me:

                            2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

                            I reviewed my notes and found this to distinguish between XP Home and Pro:

                            How to detect and distinguish XP Home Edition and Professonal Edition

                            There is a value name
                            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions\ProductSuite.
                            Its data is 'Personal' on XP home while '' on XP professonal.

                            I cannot get the above key read by NoteTab.

                            Here is the revised clip that I sent earlier:

                            ;07/24/2002 Larry Hamilton lmh@...
                            ;^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FundWare\7.16:U)$
                            ;Windows 95, 98 and Me:
                            ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
                            ;Windows NT, 2000 and XP:
                            ;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

                            ^!SetDebug ON
                            ^!Set
                            %ProductName%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                            NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
                            ^!Set
                            %CurrentVersion%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                            NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentVersion)$
                            ;^!Set
                            %CurrentType%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows
                            NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentType)$
                            ^!Set
                            %CurrentBuildNumber%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                            NT\CurrentVersion:CurrentBuildNumber)$
                            ^!Set
                            %CSDVersion%=^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                            NT\CurrentVersion:CSDVersion)$

                            ^!Info ^%ProductName% ^%CurrentVersion% ^%CurrentType%
                            ^%CurrentBuildNumber% ^%CSDVersion%

                            Larry Hamilton
                            lmh@...
                            My Webpage

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                              Hi Pete

                              >^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
                              >NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$
                              >
                              >gives me nothing, as I don't have that node in my Windows 2000 registry.

                              OK, that's good to know. Actually, as far as the locations of
                              Notepad.exe on Win2000 I don't think there is a difference in any
                              of the SPs, so all I need for it is ProductName. That is used for
                              Win98 also.

                              If you are still running XP SP1 or just straight XP at home (Pro
                              or Home version makes no difference, or shouldn't) I could use
                              the BuildLab if it is there and the ProductName. In XP it is
                              important for me to know what the regular and SP1 Notepad
                              locations are and how to identify them in the registry, the OS
                              that is.

                              ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$
                              ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$

                              Actually, if you could run this Clip and anybody else that wants,
                              I'd appreciate it. I'll also put it on the web, because there's a
                              few long lines. Please just mail me the results in private eMail
                              so we don't clutter up this list, or if you want to post them on
                              the ntb-NextRelease if you are on that list that is OK also on
                              Re: [NRN] Where's Notepad on XP SP2? or the same thing, but [NTO]
                              for the Off Topic list. Private eMail is fine too. ;)

                              It's online at: http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

                              <--- Copy below this line --->
                              H=Find notepad.* (GetHidden)...
                              ; eMailed on 10-12-2004, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
                              ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us
                              ; It's online at: http://www.notetab.net/html/findnotepad.htm

                              ^!ClearVariables
                              ^!SetWizardLabel Windows Installation Drive Letter and choose option
                              ; long line
                              ^!Set %Dir%=^?{=_C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N}:\; %ChangeDLLcache%=^?{Temporarily change dllcache to unHidden -H==_Yes|No}

                              ^!SetHintInfo Getting Directory Information...
                              ^!Set %dllcacheAttr1%=^$GetFileAttr(^$GetSysPath$dllcache)$
                              ^!IfFalse ^%ChangeDLLcache% Skip
                              ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetSysPath$dllcache" -H
                              ^!Set %dllcacheAttr2%=^$GetFileAttr(^$GetSysPath$dllcache)$
                              ; It appears that the file attributes and some of the sort orders are broken
                              ; in WinXP SP2. SIZE and DATE are two...
                              ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                              ^!SetArray %FileList%=^$GetFiles("+^%Dir%";notepad.*;ARSH;SIZE)$
                              ^!Set %Count%=^%FileList0%
                              ^!Set %Index%=0; %FileCount%=^%Count%

                              :Loop
                              ^!Inc %Index%
                              ^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% Finish
                              ^!Set %FileName%=^$GetFileSize(^%FileList^%Index%%)$ = ^%FileList^%Index%%
                              ^!Append %Files%=^$GetPath("^%FileName%")$^$GetFileName("^%FileName%")$^%nl%
                              ^!Goto Loop

                              :Finish
                              ; The GetRegValue lines are fairly long
                              ^!Toolbar New Document
                              ^!Insert ^%Files%
                              ^!SelectTo 1:1
                              ^!Menu Modify/Lines/Sort/Ascending
                              ^!Jump Select_End
                              ^!SetFileAttr "^$GetSysPath$dllcache" ^%dllcacheAttr1%
                              ^!Insert ^p^pTotal Files: ^%FileCount%^p^p
                              ^!Insert Original FileAttr for ^$GetSysPath$dllcache\: ^%dllcacheAttr1%^p
                              ^!Insert Changed Attr for ^$GetSysPath$dllcache\ to: ^%dllcacheAttr2%^p
                              ^!Insert Current Attr for ^$GetSysPath$dllcache\: ^$GetFileAttr(^$GetSysPath$dllcache)$^p^p
                              ^!Insert Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab:^p
                              ^!Insert ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$^p
                              ^!Insert Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName:^p
                              ^!Insert ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$^p^p

                              <--- Copy above this line --->
                              <--- Right click over a Library --->
                              <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                                Hi Larry

                                Yes, I got that already, but thanks much! I was hoping it would
                                be and it might be just a few differences. All know when I get
                                some more results. The lines will be wrapped and it is just for
                                writing out write now as I gather info. But, this is sort of
                                what I'm shooting for:

                                H=WinOS
                                ^!IfSame "^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$" "Microsoft Windows 98" Next else Look4XP
                                ^!Info Is Win98
                                ^!Goto VersionFound

                                ; ^!IfSame "" "" Next else Look4XPSP1
                                ; ^!IfSame "" "" Next else Look4XPSP2

                                :Look4XPSP2
                                ^!Info "^$StrCopy("^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$";6;8)$" "xpsp_sp2" Next else Look42K
                                ^!IfSame "^$StrCopy("^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$";6;8)$" "xpsp_sp2" Next else Look42K
                                ^!Info Is XP SP2
                                ^!Goto VersionFound

                                :Look42K
                                ^!IfSame "^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$" "Microsoft Windows 2000"
                                ^!Info Is w2k
                                ^!Goto VersionFound

                                :VersionFound

                              • Don Passenger
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                                  the first appeared to do nothing
                                  the later said simply Microsoft Windows 2000

                                  > ^!Info ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$
                                  >
                                  > Can you tell me what that puts out for your Win2000 machine please?
                                  > What it does get wrapped; it's one line.
                                  >
                                  > You can just put that bare code into a Clip and click on it into a new document:
                                  > ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$

                                • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                                    Jody asked:

                                    > Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
                                    > computer and preferably the SP number?

                                    It doesn't give the SP number, but does give the build number.

                                    ^$GetDosOutput("ver")$
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                      Hi Wayne,

                                      >> Where do I look to find what version of Windows is installed on a
                                      >> computer and preferably the SP number?
                                      >
                                      >It doesn't give the SP number, but does give the build number.
                                      >
                                      >^$GetDosOutput("ver")$

                                      Yes, Alan C. sent me that one a few days ago. I think these work the
                                      best. I just need to find somebody on a WinME and WinNT machine
                                      to get the information for me now.

                                      ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:CSDVersion)$
                                      ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:ProductName)$
                                      ^$GetRegValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion:BuildLab)$

                                      The BuildLab appears to only be on XP machines.

                                      I see why Eric has a time with this between versions of Windows.
                                      Now, it appears MS has a full release with SP2 incorporated into
                                      it that does not have the ServicePackFiles\i386\ folder and
                                      NoteTab's Help Replace MS Notepad is working again it it. ;) I
                                      have to check for the existence of the
                                      ^$GetWinPath$ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe for account for it
                                      until I can get somebody to send me their CurrentVersion settings
                                      that have that install.

                                      If you don't like the weather here, hang around 10 minutes and
                                      it'll change. If you don't like the current Windows build, hang
                                      around 5 minutes and it'll change. <g>

                                      FWIW, in WinXP SP2, the servicepack and dllcache copies of
                                      notepad ahve to be renamed or removed in order to replace
                                      notepad. Windows can restore from either of those places.
                                      Furthermore, you need to get rid of the copy in
                                      C:\Windows\notepad.exe if you want to shut Windows up from crying
                                      about its beloved notepad missing. <g> In Win2000 and XP and XP
                                      SP1 only the dllcache has to be dealt with to the best of my
                                      knowledge, but I am just now getting to thos in my Clip. The Clip
                                      is designed to do replace/restore MS Notepad (toggle) in all
                                      versions of Windows.