Re: Re: [Clip] Searching Groups (was Dos to Document)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
      John: some time ago Sheri created a set of clips and techniques which can be
      used with a little bit of effort to create your own searchable copy of an
      entire Yahoo-group archive. Hers was a an elegant soulution but when I've
      don it I've simply created a list of URLs that will create pages of 100
      items at a time and saved and then indexed them. I'm not sure whether the
      same technique still works - I think Yahoo has made it harder to send
      multiple requests without interrupting them with requests to visit some
      intermediate link.

      Some other groups create searchable archives and post them in their files
      area. Keynote and PowerPro are (or were) available in Keynote format, Zoot
      in a zot database.

      create a searchable archive available to anyone. I don't think it can be
      done retroactively though and I'm not sure what involvement is required by
      the list owner. (It may be as little as just allowing the pseudo-user to
      subscribe). I'm also not sure whether or not email addresses get munged or
      not (a la web-view of a yahoo group archive). It doesn't bother me, but some
      people don't like having email addys widely availabe on the web. ... later:
      just checked by searching for my email name "burale" and it looks like email
      addresses are munged.

      If you search for Notetab it gets a lot of mentions in other groups indexed
      by gmane but apparently its not being done for any of the Notetab groups.

      Lotta: I wondered where you'd got the post numbers :-) I found three posts
      by Larry Thomas of the same clip in my own X1 archives, but you'd already
      posted the link before I read the original request.

      Regards ... Alec