Re: [Clip] Searching Groups (was Dos to Document)

  • loro
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
      At 03:39 2004-09-23, John Mitchell wrote:
      >This may be marginally off topic but the original question and your
      >response reminds me that the process of searching for stuff in large
      >Yahoo groups is often so long winded that it's much easier to ask the
      >question than do the research. Is there a way of searching *all* of a
      >group rather than several hundred appends, and then another several
      >hundred, and so on.......?

      Sorry, but I wouldn't know. I avoid going there as much as I can. I
      searched my own archived posts, got the date and poster that way and then I
      could find it quick enough at yahoogroups. No magic involved, I'm afraid. :-)

      Lotta
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
        John: some time ago Sheri created a set of clips and techniques which can be
        used with a little bit of effort to create your own searchable copy of an
        entire Yahoo-group archive. Hers was a an elegant soulution but when I've
        don it I've simply created a list of URLs that will create pages of 100
        items at a time and saved and then indexed them. I'm not sure whether the
        same technique still works - I think Yahoo has made it harder to send
        multiple requests without interrupting them with requests to visit some
        intermediate link.

        Some other groups create searchable archives and post them in their files
        area. Keynote and PowerPro are (or were) available in Keynote format, Zoot
        in a zot database.

        create a searchable archive available to anyone. I don't think it can be
        done retroactively though and I'm not sure what involvement is required by
        the list owner. (It may be as little as just allowing the pseudo-user to
        subscribe). I'm also not sure whether or not email addresses get munged or
        not (a la web-view of a yahoo group archive). It doesn't bother me, but some
        people don't like having email addys widely availabe on the web. ... later:
        just checked by searching for my email name "burale" and it looks like email
        addresses are munged.

        If you search for Notetab it gets a lot of mentions in other groups indexed
        by gmane but apparently its not being done for any of the Notetab groups.

        Lotta: I wondered where you'd got the post numbers :-) I found three posts
        by Larry Thomas of the same clip in my own X1 archives, but you'd already
        posted the link before I read the original request.

        Regards ... Alec