[Clip] Re: Simple mailmerger - more...

  • Claes Gauffin
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 1999
      Hi Erno,

      The clip I submitted earlier lacked separators between
      the letters. You used "%%". That is not necessary.
      For once Word shows a grain of courtesy and acknowledges
      page breaks...

      /Claes

      ^!Open addresses.txt
      ^!Jump DOC_START
      ^!Set %allines%=^$GetLine$
      ^!Set %linecount%=1
      :loop1
      ^!Jump +1
      ^!Set %line%=^$GetLine$
      ^!Append %allines%=;^%line%
      ^!Inc %linecount%
      ^!If ^%linecount%<^$GetLineCount$ loop1
      ^!SetArray %adr%=^%allines%
      ^!Close
      ^!Open letter.txt
      ^!Toolbar Select All
      ^!Set %letter%=^$GetSelection$
      ^!Close
      ^!Toolbar New Document
      ^!Set %adrctr%=1
      :loop2
      ^!InsertText ^%letter%^%NL%^%PAGE%
      ^!Replace "$" >> "^%adr^%adrctr%%" TIWAS
      ^!Inc %adrctr%
      ^!If ^%adrctr%<=^%adr0% loop2
    • Charles Cairns
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 18, 1999
        Hey all,

        I'm working on a clip that sorts exported messages from
        Outlook 2000 and am running into a syntax error. The lines
        in question (NoteTab Std give the error on the second):

        ^!Select ALL
        ^!Set
        %Counter%=^$StrCount("SUBJECT";^$GetSelection$;true;false)$

        I'm testing two different exported files and the really
        *weird* thing is, one file processes as expected while the
        other give an error.

        Any ideas?

        --csc
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 18, 1999
          Hi Charles,

          >The lines in question (NoteTab Std give the error on the second):

          Try it with the select having quotes:

          ^!Select ALL
          ^!Set %Counter%=^$StrCount("SUBJECT";"^$GetSelection$";true;false)$

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Clip List...
          mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        • Charles Cairns
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 18, 1999
            Jody wrote:

            > Try it with the select having quotes:

            I'll give that a try, thank you!

            --csc
          • Charles Cairns
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 18, 1999

              Kay wrote:

              > Any clip code in what you're trying to process?

              Yes! The file giving me trouble does have clip code in it. The other doesn't. Is
              that a problem?

              --csc
            • Kay Roath
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 18, 1999
                10/18/1999 4:32 PM Charles Cairns wrote

                > Hey all,

                > I'm working on a clip that sorts exported messages from
                > Outlook 2000.......

                > I'm testing two different exported files and the really
                > *weird* thing is, one file processes as expected while the
                > other give an error.

                > Any ideas?

                Any clip code in what you're trying to process?

                --- Grandma Kay ---
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 18, 1999
                  Hi Charles,

                  > Kay wrote:

                  >> Any clip code in what you're trying to process?
                  >
                  > Yes! The file giving me trouble does have clip code in it. The
                  > other doesn't. Is that a problem?

                  Definitely! Especially if you have the ^$Get type functions in
                  the document. ^$Str will probably fail as well. The reason for
                  it is both those do something and adds it to your existing
                  function. That will cause the syntax error.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 18, 1999
                    Hi Charles,

                    > Yes! The file giving me trouble does have clip code in it. The
                    > other doesn't. Is that a problem?

                    This should allow you to use your Clip on files that have code in
                    them. I wouldn't run this on anything important till you test it
                    out good. I only tested it on one Clip.

                    ^!Replace "^" >> "<Shift6>" WAS
                    ^!Info Do your script here.
                    ^!Replace "<Shift6>" >> "^" WAS

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 19, 1999
                      Jody wrote:

                      > This should allow you to use your Clip on files that have code in
                      > them...

                      > ^!Replace "^" >> "<Shift6>" WAS
                      > ^!Info Do your script here.
                      > ^!Replace "<Shift6>" >> "^" WAS

                      Thanks, Jodie. I'll try it, but would like to understand it: The >> is new to
                      me. Does this replace the TAB? Also, I gather that Notetab sees a difference
                      between <Shift6> and ^, is this right? What's the difference?

                      On related note, I notice that my clip hangs on line-final ". Similar problem? I
                      did a work-around to replace all " with ', but that's not very elegant.

                      --csc
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 19, 1999
                        Hi Charles,

                        ^!Replace "^" >> "<Shift6>" WAS
                        ^!Info Do your script here.
                        ^!Replace "<Shift6>" >> "^" WAS

                        > Thanks, Jodie. I'll try it, but would like to understand it:
                        > The >> is new to me.

                        It is one of the two ways NoteTab lets us write the Replace
                        command. The old way which is still there is with a tab.

                        ^!Replace[TAB]"<Shift6>"[TAB]"^"[SPACE - I think - see help]WAS

                        > Does this replace the TAB?

                        If you are talking about the tab in the replace command, yes. If
                        you are talking about the non-printing ^t, no, it does not effect
                        that.

                        > Also, I gather that Notetab sees a difference between <Shift6>
                        > and ^, is this right? What's the difference?

                        Those are not commands. I just used the <Shift6> 'cause I felt
                        like it. <g> Anything out of the ordinary could be used. I just
                        told NoteTab to replace all the ^ with <Shift6> and then after
                        you process whatever you have to do just reverse the order to
                        return the file to its original state.

                        You could do something like below if you wanted to be more sure,
                        but I believe the first should work fine and will get it all in
                        case I missed something.

                        ^!Replace "^$" >> "~~~~" WAS
                        ^!Replace "^!" >> "~~~~" WAS
                        ^!Replace "^%" >> "~~~~" WAS
                        ^!Info [L]Do your script here^p^p^$GetText$.
                        ^!Replace "~~~~" >> "^$" WAS
                        ^!Replace "~~~~" >> "^!" WAS
                        ^!Replace "~~~~" >> "^%" WAS

                        If the Info box cuts off part of your file it is, because the
                        file was larger than the 32kb maximum allowed.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 19, 1999
                          > Those are not commands. I just used the <Shift6>
                          > 'cause I felt
                          > like it. <g>...

                          After thinking about it for awhile, I thought that must be
                          what you were doing.

                          > You could do something like below if you wanted
                          > to be more sure...
                          >
                          > ^!Replace "^$" >> "~~~~" WAS...

                          Turns out the $ was indeed a problem, thank you.

                          On a related note, what I'm trying to do is attractively
                          tidy up a delimited textfile exported from Outlook 2000.
                          This isn't a NoteTab question, but if anyone can reply
                          offlist with an answer I'd be much obliged: I can't for the
                          life of me figure out how to export "date received" or "date
                          sent" along with the "to," "from," "body," etc. (Been to the
                          ng's and Microsoft, but no luck. If I can't figure it out,
                          I'll post the clip here without that part.)

                          --csc
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 19, 1999
                            Hi Charles,

                            >> You could do something like below if you wanted to be more
                            >> sure...
                            >>
                            >> ^!Replace "^$" >> "~~~~" WAS...
                            >
                            > Turns out the $ was indeed a problem, thank you.

                            The first Clip I sent would have taken care of that as well. :)
                            I hope you get some help with Outlook.