Archives

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
      Anyone,
      How do I get into the archives of the clips list in order to do some
      research on a subject?
      Ed
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
        message archives are here
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/messages
        At 9/21/2004 03:09 PM -0500, Ed Brown wrote:

        >Anyone,
        >How do I get into the archives of the clips list in order to do some
        >research on a subject?
        >Ed

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 23, 2004
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Julie <gleits@c...> wrote:
          > message archives are here
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/messages
          > At 9/21/2004 03:09 PM -0500, Ed Brown wrote:
          >
          > >Anyone,
          > >How do I get into the archives of the clips list in order to do
          some
          > >research on a subject?
          > >Ed

          There are zips of the message archives dating from 1999 forward in
          our Yahoo files area. Updated today.

          Go into the "Message Archive Zips" folder.

          You should be able to load these into an email client or Fookes
          Mailbag Assistant and search to your hearts content :)

          Yahoo also has a (primative) search facility for the online
          archives, but you can only search 140 messages per click (next,
          next, next, etc).

          Sheri
        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
            Sheri

            Many thanks for the pointer. For anyone else with a need to set up local
            searchable archives, here's how to do it with Thunderbird or Mulberry.

            1. Download one or more of the zip files from
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/
            2. Unpack the contents. Each zip contains a mailbox (.mbx) file.
            3. Copy the expanded .mbx files into your Thunderbird or Mulberry local
            mail directory.
            4. For Thunderbird, rename the files to remove the .mbx filetype.
            5. Fire up Thunderbird/Mulberry and the archive files will now appear as
            local mailboxes.
            6. That's it!

            The same process could no doubt be applied to other mail clients. Since
            local mailboxes are so quick and easy to process I downloaded all of the
            zipped archives and combined them into a single local mailbox. No more
            frustrating, snail-paced searches on Yahoo groups!

            Regards, John M

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
              Hi John and Sheri,

              Sheri that was nice of you to archive the messages like that.
              Seems to me I saw a utility that downloaded a group to archive
              all in one shot. Perhaps on the Off Topic list. Did you use
              something like that? (You can reply to this on the Off Topic list
              as well, thanks! :)

              I notice you have them in Eudora's format. Oh, I remember seeing
              the descmap.dll file to use in OE for the Eudora mailboxes. I
              know I can File | Import into OE. Is that what you mean? It's
              good that Mozilla was able to read them. PocoMail should be able
              to also.

              >Many thanks for the pointer. For anyone else with a need to set
              >up local searchable archives, here's how to do it with
              >Thunderbird or Mulberry.
              >
              >1. Download one or more of the zip files from
              >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/
              >2. Unpack the contents. Each zip contains a mailbox (.mbx) file.
              >3. Copy the expanded .mbx files into your Thunderbird or Mulberry local
              >mail directory.
              >4. For Thunderbird, rename the files to remove the .mbx filetype.
              >5. Fire up Thunderbird/Mulberry and the archive files will now appear as
              >local mailboxes.
              >6. That's it!

              Happy Bag'n!
              Jody

              Options, UnSubscribe
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mailbag

              http://www.fookes.us/redir
              http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2004
                Hi John and Jody,

                Glad you are finding the archives useful. It took a few hours to
                pull them together. I was unaware of any special utilities that pull
                messages but a clip-driven process I created a few years ago still
                works well. The part that captures the online messages is actually
                pretty fast (I'm on cable). The messages get downloaded into a
                multitude of text files via a clip-operated IE browser window. Then
                the files are consolidated in NoteTab and edited to remove
                extraneous garbage and format compatible message headers, Yahoo
                message numbers, etc. The edits are mostly clip driven (Perl) search
                and replace operations. I create Eudora mailboxes, but since Eudora
                uses the generic unix message format, the resulting archives are
                compatible with most software readers.