Re: [Clip] Find and Replace in a csv-file (only a specified column)

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi Bauke,

      >I'm looking for a clip that makes it possible to do a 'find & replace'
      >in one or more columns within a csv-file.

      The Replace in Block... had some problems <g>, so I reworked it.
      You can only do one column at a time. I still need to do more
      work, because as is, it deals with the whole field in each row.
      That is to say that it won't replace parts of a field, but the
      whole field. For instance, if you have a field with the date in
      it and only wanted to change the year from "2004" to "04" it
      won't do that right now, but will later after I do some other
      things. :) It will only change the full date 08/10/2004 >
      08/10/04 Just download the noteblock.zip w/o the Clipbar below
      for now.

      You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
      which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
      fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, and more... As
      always, use on a test document first to ensure there are no bugs. ;)

      http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
      http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
      Clipbar w/ buttons

      Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

      >Bauke (Netherlands; sorry for my English)

      What's to be sorry for; it's good! :)

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hi Bauke,

        >"Oli";"Full name shgdfhgdh";"Address";"1";"City";"Shortname";"textfield";"0"
        >"MdV";"Full name";"Address";"2";"City";"Shortname";"textfield-can be
        >long";"1"
        >
        >What I would like to do is to take away the quotes in field 4
        >(find & replace just in field 4), but I have more files and
        >sometimes I want to do a F&R in field 3 and 7 for example.

        The quotes there are part of the delimiter. Is that what you want
        to replace or is there actually other text where "1" is and it is
        within that that you want the quotes removed? That is what I was
        speaking of when I gave the date example in my previous post that
        I need to still do yet, that is, replace text within each field,
        not the whole field. As it is now it will replace the whole field
        with something else if the field is what is searched for in that
        column.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hi Bauke,

          >"Oli";"Full name shgdfhgdh";"Address";"1";"City";"Shortname";"textfield";"0"
          >"MdV";"Full name";"Address";"2";"City";"Shortname";"textfield-can be
          >long";"1"
          >
          >What I would like to do is to take away the quotes in field 4 (find &
          >replace just in field 4), but I have more files and sometimes I want to
          >do a F&R in field 3 and 7 for example.

          I have NoteBlock:Replace in Block fixed now so that it will make
          replacements within a field/column, at least with common
          delimiters. It's really a pain doing some of the things when
          quotes are involved due to a bug in NoteTab dealing with
          variables and quotes, delimiters also.

          I didn't hear back from you about whether you wanted to actually
          remove the quotes around the "1" in your field 4 or not. It is
          actually part of the delimiter and I did not make the Clip to
          remove those. That can be done with a regular expression easier
          probably so long as your file isn't super large.

          You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
          which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
          fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, replace in
          fields, and more... As always, use on a test document first to
          ensure there are no bugs and you should have a backup. ;)

          http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
          http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
          Clipbar w/ buttons

          Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
            Bauke & Patricia
            (with Jody's forbearance I hope)

            Both these tasks can be done with Jody's clip stuff and/or purpose-built
            clips I think, but if what you really want is to get the job done without
            necessarily becoming a clip maven :-) there is a freeware program designed
            to work with CVS files which amongst many other very neat manipulations will
            do find and replace in specific columns.

            Have a look at:
            CVSed http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/software/software.htm

            FWIW: this was originally recommended to me by David Elliot on one of the
            Notetab lists (probably OFF-TOPIC) where any future discussion of this
            program should more properly be directed.

            Regards ... Alec