Re: [Clip] Find and Replace in a csv-file (only a specified column)

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi Bauke,

      >I'm looking for a clip that makes it possible to do a 'find & replace'
      >in one or more columns within a csv-file.

      The Replace in Block... had some problems <g>, so I reworked it.
      You can only do one column at a time. I still need to do more
      work, because as is, it deals with the whole field in each row.
      That is to say that it won't replace parts of a field, but the
      whole field. For instance, if you have a field with the date in
      it and only wanted to change the year from "2004" to "04" it
      won't do that right now, but will later after I do some other
      things. :) It will only change the full date 08/10/2004 >
      08/10/04 Just download the noteblock.zip w/o the Clipbar below
      for now.

      You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
      which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
      fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, and more... As
      always, use on a test document first to ensure there are no bugs. ;)

      http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
      http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
      Clipbar w/ buttons

      Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

      >Bauke (Netherlands; sorry for my English)

      What's to be sorry for; it's good! :)

    • Bauke P. de Vries
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hello,

        I'm sorry, but the 'Replace in block' clip in the NoteBlock lib is not
        what I need.

        I get (from a MySQL database) csv-files that look like this:

        "Oli";"Full name shgdfhgdh";"Address";"1";"City";"Shortname";"textfield";"0"
        "MdV";"Full name";"Address";"2";"City";"Shortname";"textfield-can be
        long";"1"

        What I would like to do is to take away the quotes in field 4 (find &
        replace just in field 4), but I have more files and sometimes I want to
        do a F&R in field 3 and 7 for example.

        Can this be done? And how?

        Thanks again,

        Bauke (Netherlands)

        Met vriendelijke groet,

        *Bauke P. de Vries
        *

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hi Patricia,

          >I have data bases with individuals whose dates of birth and death
          >in various forms --

          >May 15, 1900
          >May 1900
          >1900
          >
          >I would like to sort the data by year and would like to separate
          >the day, month and year into separate columns. The purpose would
          >be to sort the material by date of birth.

          That's a tall order! :)

          I don't know if I will have the time for this one - it'd be
          pretty difficult or at least time consuming to do, but I would
          need to see a few rows of the data. You can dummie the names or
          any other data you don't want published, but leave the fields
          intact. I also need the fields that you send in shown as you want
          it corrected to. In the rows as they are, I need one example of
          each date format that you have like if the four above it all of
          them, then I'd need examples of those four full rows. The dates
          will need to be reformatted into the same format (as much as
          possible) and the month converted into a number (and then back
          after sorting). All that would be done by the Clip of course.

          Is now:
          May 15, 1900
          May 1900
          1900

          Needs to be something like:
          1900 May 15
          1900 May
          1900

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
            Hi Bauke,

            >"Oli";"Full name shgdfhgdh";"Address";"1";"City";"Shortname";"textfield";"0"
            >"MdV";"Full name";"Address";"2";"City";"Shortname";"textfield-can be
            >long";"1"
            >
            >What I would like to do is to take away the quotes in field 4
            >(find & replace just in field 4), but I have more files and
            >sometimes I want to do a F&R in field 3 and 7 for example.

            The quotes there are part of the delimiter. Is that what you want
            to replace or is there actually other text where "1" is and it is
            within that that you want the quotes removed? That is what I was
            speaking of when I gave the date example in my previous post that
            I need to still do yet, that is, replace text within each field,
            not the whole field. As it is now it will replace the whole field
            with something else if the field is what is searched for in that
            column.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
              Hi Bauke,

              >"Oli";"Full name shgdfhgdh";"Address";"1";"City";"Shortname";"textfield";"0"
              >"MdV";"Full name";"Address";"2";"City";"Shortname";"textfield-can be
              >long";"1"
              >
              >What I would like to do is to take away the quotes in field 4 (find &
              >replace just in field 4), but I have more files and sometimes I want to
              >do a F&R in field 3 and 7 for example.

              I have NoteBlock:Replace in Block fixed now so that it will make
              replacements within a field/column, at least with common
              delimiters. It's really a pain doing some of the things when
              quotes are involved due to a bug in NoteTab dealing with
              variables and quotes, delimiters also.

              I didn't hear back from you about whether you wanted to actually
              remove the quotes around the "1" in your field 4 or not. It is
              actually part of the delimiter and I did not make the Clip to
              remove those. That can be done with a regular expression easier
              probably so long as your file isn't super large.

              You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
              which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
              fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, replace in
              fields, and more... As always, use on a test document first to
              ensure there are no bugs and you should have a backup. ;)

              http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
              http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
              Clipbar w/ buttons

              Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
                Bauke & Patricia
                (with Jody's forbearance I hope)

                Both these tasks can be done with Jody's clip stuff and/or purpose-built
                clips I think, but if what you really want is to get the job done without
                necessarily becoming a clip maven :-) there is a freeware program designed
                to work with CVS files which amongst many other very neat manipulations will
                do find and replace in specific columns.

                Have a look at:
                CVSed http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/software/software.htm

                FWIW: this was originally recommended to me by David Elliot on one of the
                Notetab lists (probably OFF-TOPIC) where any future discussion of this
                program should more properly be directed.

                Regards ... Alec