Re: [Clip] Find and Replace in a csv-file (only a specified column)

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
      Patricia Tidmarsh wrote:

      > I have data bases with individuals whose dates of birth and death in various forms --

      > May 15, 1900
      > May 1900
      > 1900
      >
      > I would like to sort the data by year and would like to separate the day,
      > month and year into separate columns. The purpose would be to sort the
      > material by date of birth.
      >
      > TIA

      what format do you have it in now?
      is it csv formatted?
      I assume date isn't the only field
      why don't you attach one or two sample lines from the file

      even though it is in different formats, date is alway in one consistent
      field?
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
        Modern Military Julian Calendar (ZULU or Coordinated Universal Time (old
        GMT))

        The Military Dating system is a modernized version of the Julian system
        with the EXCEPTION that the year counts reflect the Gregorian year (Anno
        Domini) vs, the original Julian start date.

        The Date format is as follows YYYYDDDHHMM:SS

        Y= The Calendar year, (Currently 2004)
        D= The nmumerical sequence of days in that year, beginning with January
        1, at 0000:01 hrs in ZULU time. (ZULU is the Military's reference time
        zone which corresponds with 0 degrees Longitude.)

        Often the Z suffix "(Z)" will be appended to indicate the ZULU time is
        the reference, if the Time indicated is the Time zone whewre the event
        occurs, a L "(L)"is suffixed to indicate "Local Time"

        The New calendar year begins at YYYY0000:01(Z). Often the Local Time
        will also be referenced, usually by indicating a +\- (number 1-12) to
        indicate how much adjustment is needed to make a local reference.

        The H= HOURS on a 24 hour clock, There is no AM/PM in military time it
        is sequential hours after Midnight, (0000:01 HRS)(Contrary to popular
        belief there IS NO 2400 Hours, it is 0000:00 Hrs. (The first minute of
        the NEW day) Even people in the Military get this confused, and still
        "say" 2400 Hrs for Midnight. It is also accepted to avoid unneeded
        argument. (Is it the LAST second of the previous day or the First second
        of the new day?) Logically there has to be a "zero" point.).

        M= Minutes of the successive Hour, 1-60.

        S= Seconds of the successive Minute, 1-60.

        This sytem has several benefits when dealing with a Global reference. It
        puts the whole world on a single time reference. If the ZULU clock is
        used world wide coordination is possible.

        It also allows true chronological filing of date referenced events, the
        YEAR is referred, then the Month, Day, Hour, Minute, Second....

        This system is used to clock almost everything computer driven,
        Messages sent through the Internet are clocked in this manner, and
        (referenced to Coordinated Universal Time, the "old" GMT) and traceable
        in that manner, It is in the "home" computer that the conversions occur
        that appear in your VISABLE message header. (That is why you have to set
        your local time zone and clock correctly in your computer).

        --
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        "Just the facts, maam."
        Sgt. Joe Friday,
        LAPD Badge #714

        Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
        VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

        Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hi Bauke,

          >I'm looking for a clip that makes it possible to do a 'find & replace'
          >in one or more columns within a csv-file.

          The Replace in Block... had some problems <g>, so I reworked it.
          You can only do one column at a time. I still need to do more
          work, because as is, it deals with the whole field in each row.
          That is to say that it won't replace parts of a field, but the
          whole field. For instance, if you have a field with the date in
          it and only wanted to change the year from "2004" to "04" it
          won't do that right now, but will later after I do some other
          things. :) It will only change the full date 08/10/2004 >
          08/10/04 Just download the noteblock.zip w/o the Clipbar below
          for now.

          You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
          which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
          fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, and more... As
          always, use on a test document first to ensure there are no bugs. ;)

          http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
          http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
          Clipbar w/ buttons

          Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

          >Bauke (Netherlands; sorry for my English)

          What's to be sorry for; it's good! :)

        • Bauke P. de Vries
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
            Hello,

            I'm sorry, but the 'Replace in block' clip in the NoteBlock lib is not
            what I need.

            I get (from a MySQL database) csv-files that look like this:

            "Oli";"Full name shgdfhgdh";"Address";"1";"City";"Shortname";"textfield";"0"
            "MdV";"Full name";"Address";"2";"City";"Shortname";"textfield-can be
            long";"1"

            What I would like to do is to take away the quotes in field 4 (find &
            replace just in field 4), but I have more files and sometimes I want to
            do a F&R in field 3 and 7 for example.

            Can this be done? And how?

            Thanks again,

            Bauke (Netherlands)

            Met vriendelijke groet,

            *Bauke P. de Vries
            *

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
              Hi Patricia,

              >I have data bases with individuals whose dates of birth and death
              >in various forms --

              >May 15, 1900
              >May 1900
              >1900
              >
              >I would like to sort the data by year and would like to separate
              >the day, month and year into separate columns. The purpose would
              >be to sort the material by date of birth.

              That's a tall order! :)

              I don't know if I will have the time for this one - it'd be
              pretty difficult or at least time consuming to do, but I would
              need to see a few rows of the data. You can dummie the names or
              any other data you don't want published, but leave the fields
              intact. I also need the fields that you send in shown as you want
              it corrected to. In the rows as they are, I need one example of
              each date format that you have like if the four above it all of
              them, then I'd need examples of those four full rows. The dates
              will need to be reformatted into the same format (as much as
              possible) and the month converted into a number (and then back
              after sorting). All that would be done by the Clip of course.

              Is now:
              May 15, 1900
              May 1900
              1900

              Needs to be something like:
              1900 May 15
              1900 May
              1900

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
                Hi Bauke,

                >"Oli";"Full name shgdfhgdh";"Address";"1";"City";"Shortname";"textfield";"0"
                >"MdV";"Full name";"Address";"2";"City";"Shortname";"textfield-can be
                >long";"1"
                >
                >What I would like to do is to take away the quotes in field 4
                >(find & replace just in field 4), but I have more files and
                >sometimes I want to do a F&R in field 3 and 7 for example.

                The quotes there are part of the delimiter. Is that what you want
                to replace or is there actually other text where "1" is and it is
                within that that you want the quotes removed? That is what I was
                speaking of when I gave the date example in my previous post that
                I need to still do yet, that is, replace text within each field,
                not the whole field. As it is now it will replace the whole field
                with something else if the field is what is searched for in that
                column.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Hi Bauke,

                  >"Oli";"Full name shgdfhgdh";"Address";"1";"City";"Shortname";"textfield";"0"
                  >"MdV";"Full name";"Address";"2";"City";"Shortname";"textfield-can be
                  >long";"1"
                  >
                  >What I would like to do is to take away the quotes in field 4 (find &
                  >replace just in field 4), but I have more files and sometimes I want to
                  >do a F&R in field 3 and 7 for example.

                  I have NoteBlock:Replace in Block fixed now so that it will make
                  replacements within a field/column, at least with common
                  delimiters. It's really a pain doing some of the things when
                  quotes are involved due to a bug in NoteTab dealing with
                  variables and quotes, delimiters also.

                  I didn't hear back from you about whether you wanted to actually
                  remove the quotes around the "1" in your field 4 or not. It is
                  actually part of the delimiter and I did not make the Clip to
                  remove those. That can be done with a regular expression easier
                  probably so long as your file isn't super large.

                  You might be interested in trying out my Library called NoteBlock
                  which works specifically with delimited files. You can sort by
                  fields (column), delete fields, reorder fields, replace in
                  fields, and more... As always, use on a test document first to
                  ensure there are no bugs and you should have a backup. ;)

                  http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
                  http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
                  Clipbar w/ buttons

                  Block, field, and column are used interchangeably in the Library.

                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
                    Bauke & Patricia
                    (with Jody's forbearance I hope)

                    Both these tasks can be done with Jody's clip stuff and/or purpose-built
                    clips I think, but if what you really want is to get the job done without
                    necessarily becoming a clip maven :-) there is a freeware program designed
                    to work with CVS files which amongst many other very neat manipulations will
                    do find and replace in specific columns.

                    Have a look at:
                    CVSed http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/software/software.htm

                    FWIW: this was originally recommended to me by David Elliot on one of the
                    Notetab lists (probably OFF-TOPIC) where any future discussion of this
                    program should more properly be directed.

                    Regards ... Alec