alternate ini file

  • donaldhines
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
      I want NoteTab to start with an alternate INI file.
      I can easily set up a shortcut with a command line parameter of
      /INI="c:\mydir\myinifile.ini" BUT then NoteTab won't start with my
      alternate ini file if I just doubleclick a .txt file.

      So, how can I make Notetab ALWAYS start with a different ini file in a
      different directory?

      thanks.

      Donald
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
        Hi Donald,

        >I want NoteTab to start with an alternate INI file.
        >I can easily set up a shortcut with a command line parameter of
        >/INI="c:\mydir\myinifile.ini" BUT then NoteTab won't start with
        >my alternate ini file if I just doubleclick a .txt file.
        >
        >So, how can I make Notetab ALWAYS start with a different ini file
        >in a different directory?

        Although Help only mentions spaces, then the short DOS name needed,
        it probably also includes long names. I didn't test, but try this:

        /INI="c:\mydir\c:\mydir\myinif~1"

        /INI=FileName
        Specify an alternative INI file. If you don't indicate a path,
        the program's directory is assumed. If you indicate a path name,
        there should not be any spaces in it (if this is the case, use
        the short DOS name instead). You do not need to specify an
        extension (it is always INI).

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
          Donald,

          One thing that I do for the different ini files I use for different
          purposes/projects, is to put the shortcut in the Send To directory. Then
          when I right-click the file and choose send to, I can choose the ini for
          the desired purpose. Just make sure your shortcut brings up the one you
          want and copy it to the Send To directory.

          On Win 95/98 Send To is under Windows. On Win 2k and XP is is under
          c:\Documents and Settings\username\Send To. It is a hidden folder, so if
          you do not see it, change the view settings.

          In my experiece the Send To in Win 98 only sends to the main program and
          does not seem to see the ini file. This works perfectly on Win2k and XP.

          Larry Hamilton
          lmh@...
          My Webpage

          donaldhines wrote:
          > I want NoteTab to start with an alternate INI file.
          > I can easily set up a shortcut with a command line parameter of
          > /INI="c:\mydir\myinifile.ini" BUT then NoteTab won't start with my
          > alternate ini file if I just doubleclick a .txt file.
          >
          > So, how can I make Notetab ALWAYS start with a different ini file in a
          > different directory?
          >
          > thanks.
          >
          > Donald
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
            donaldhines wrote:
            > I want NoteTab to start with an alternate INI file.
            > I can easily set up a shortcut with a command line parameter of
            > /INI="c:\mydir\myinifile.ini" BUT then NoteTab won't start with my
            > alternate ini file if I just doubleclick a .txt file.
            >
            > So, how can I make Notetab ALWAYS start with a different ini file in a
            > different directory?

            If, when you 2 click a text file, then that is the associations in
            Windows. (what program is associated with a given type of a file)

            I thought Larry H. sendto a good idea, ie choice of which/where to open
            the file.

            I forget where association are set. You are allowed to set it to one
            program of your choosing.

            Perhaps do a search on association(s) using the MS Windows help.
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
              Donald:

              It sounds like you've used the Notetab-Help-Replace MS Notepad ... option?
              If not, ignore this message.

              The mechanism Notetab uses to replace Notepad as the default for opening all
              txt files is to remove the original Notepad.exe and replace it by a copy of
              NotePad.stb (found in Notetab's program files folder)

              When it does this it also creates a notepad.ini file in the same %Windir%
              location. This file contains the path-to and name of the file to be executed
              instead of the original MS provided Notepad.

              This will be the path to Notetab. Append to that the command parameters you
              want used and you will be able to specify use of your custom special INI
              file or any other parameters you want invoked when double clicking a txt
              file.

              btw: You can actually put in there the path to *any* executable but 9 times
              out of 10 that would be a very silly thing to do. :-)

              Regards ... Alec

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
                > The mechanism Notetab uses to replace Notepad as the default
                > for opening all txt files is to remove the original Notepad.exe
                > and replace it by a copy of NotePad.stb (found in Notetab's
                > program files folder)
                >
                > When it does this it also creates a notepad.ini file in the
                > same %Windir% location. This file contains the path-to and
                > name of the file to be executed instead of the original MS
                > provided Notepad.

                THATS IT!!! :)
                Thank you VERY much, I was not aware of the notepad.ini/path-to
                Perfect. Much appreciation!

                Donald Hines