Re: [Clip] Changing numbers to hyperlinks in 1647 HTML pages

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
      Jeff Scism wrote:
      [ . . ]
      > The line I need to change is formatted as follows:
      >
      > (Son of No. 1) through (Son of No. 1646)
      >
      > The goal is to via directory replacement clip, to change each NUMBER
      > that follows "No. " into a hyperlink
      > This clip works for that:
      > ^!INSERT <A HREF="^&.htm">^&</A>
      >

      > How do I get the program to find the "No. " in each document and select
      > the word AFTER it for the Insert conversion to a link?

      regex tagged match comes to mind. but then to do so may requisite to
      use the replace command instead of insert command

      (find-tagged-match-regex then the next code line is replace and/or may
      just only need the right replace-tagged-match-regex as a one liner
      instead of two lines) a.k.a. U may need two lines of code *OR* you may
      need one line of code.
      --

      idea of tagged match is to change something that is next or adjacent to
      something else

      potentially a solution. as to the best or whether overcomplicated or
      not, well I'll leave that for further discussion if seen and needed by
      other list memebers.

      might search the yah archives for regex and/or tagged match

      two help files in Notetab. regex is NOT in the clip help of those two

      --
      Alan.
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
        ^!set %prev%=^$strcopyright("000^$calc(^$getname(^##)$-1)$";3)$.htm
        ^!insert <a href="^%prev%">nnn</a>

        This would insert the following to file 007.htm

        Nice clip, but in this case the "Parent" is REALLY the Parent, of the
        individual, and the page referenced may not be the previous page in order.

        Thanks, THIS one does look useful.
        --
        ~~

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        "Just the facts, maam."
        Sgt. Joe Friday,
        LAPD Badge #714
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
          > Each of 1647 HTML pages needs to link to the proper "parent"
          document.

          > The pages are in the SAME directory, and are numbered 01-1647.htm
          with a
          > few of them suffixed with the lower case a,b,c, etc.
          >
          > The line I need to change is formatted as follows:
          >
          > (Son of No. 1) through (Son of No. 1646)
          >
          > The goal is to via directory replacement clip, to change each
          NUMBER
          > that follows "No. " into a hyperlink
          > This clip works for that:
          > ^!INSERT <A HREF="^&.htm">^&</A>
          >

          > How do I get the program to find the "No. " in each document and
          select
          > the word AFTER it for the Insert conversion to a link?
          >
          > I am already using the DIRSTUFF clips to do the sequential changes
          on
          > some other portions of webpages, but I am looking for the process
          of
          > selecting the next word (which is a sequentially numbered
          reference),
          > for the Looped Clip running.
          >
          > FLOW CHART:
          >
          > Select directory (this I can do)
          > Find in all Documents "No. " (this I can do)
          > SELECT the word AFTER "No. " to the clipboard
          > ^!INSERT <A HREF="^&.htm">^&</A> (this I can do)
          > Close and save silently
          > loop to Next document in the directory (this I can do)
          >

          > Jeff Scism
          >
          > --
          > ~~

          Well if you really want to be gutsy and you are using NoteTab Pro or
          Std, you might be able to do this without a clip. By using the built
          in Search/Search Disk tool. I use Search Disk a lot, it saves me
          countless hours in situations like this.

          Before trying this however, you'd better do a LOT of testing of this
          on dummy files. This also assumes you will want to wrap ALL
          occurrences of numbers contained within the following text:

          Son of No. ###

          where ### represents any number of or sequences of digits.

          with HTML anchor tags. And to do this in all the HTML documents
          within a folder.

          Now if that doesn't scare you away, here's how you can do it with
          Search Disk. First press CTRL+D to bring up the Search Disk Dialog
          box. Click on the REPLACE tab and make sure the "Reg Expr." box is
          NOT checked. Then click the CANCEL button to close Search Disk.
          as they are below:

          Son of No\. {[0-9]+}

          Then select the bottom line (<a href="\1.htm">\1</a>) and copy it to
          the Windows clipboard. Next select the top line (Son of No\. {[0-9]
          +}) and press CTRL+D to bring up the Search Disk dialog box again.
          With that open click the replace tab and you should see your selected
          text in the "Find What" box. Click in the "Replace With" box and
          paste in <a href="\1.htm">\1</a> that you had previously copied to
          the Windows clipboard by pressing CTRL+V.

          Next (still in Search Disk) in the "Search Directory Options"
          section, browse to the folder that contains the files you want to
          process. After you have selected that folder and pressed OK, make
          sure the "Search Directory Options" path looks something like this:

          C:\my tests\temp\*.htm*

          where the path ends with *.htm*

          Ok, you're just about ready to do this. The last steps are to
          optionally check the "Backup" box to make backups of all the files
          that will be changed, and to uncheck the "Subdirectories" box, and
          then finally, to check the "Reg Expr." box.

          Take a deep breath then press the START button and sit back and watch
          what happens. If you did everything correctly after a minute or two
          (depending upon the speed of your computer) you should see a NoteTab
          box pop up telling you how many changes were made to how many files.

          As I said though, I'd do a LOT of testing with this on dummy files
          before trying it on the real ones.

          Good luck,

          John

          PS Alternatly, you can use a clip to find the number to be replaced
          by searching for "
          Son of No\. {[0-9]+}" as long as you have the RegExp option checked.
        • Ben B
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
            On Sunday, Aug 01, 2004
            Jeff Scism wrote regarding "Changing numbers to hyperlinks in 1647 HTML pages";

            > The line I need to change is formatted as follows:
            >
            > (Son of No. 1) through (Son of No. 1646)
            >
            > [...]
            >
            > How do I get the program to find the "No. " in each document and select
            > the word AFTER it for the Insert conversion to a link?
            >
            > [...]
            >
            > Select directory (this I can do)
            > Find in all Documents "No. " (this I can do)
            > SELECT the word AFTER "No. " to the clipboard
            > ^!INSERT <A HREF="^&.htm">^&</A> (this I can do)
            > Close and save silently
            > loop to Next document in the directory (this I can do)

            Hi Jeff,

            The following regexp works on your example text. It assumes a single
            space between "No." and "<one or more digits>". The "^!Jump SELECT_END"
            may not be necessary if there is only a single instance to be changed in
            each document.

            ^!Find "No\.\s\d+" R
            ^!Find "\d+" RH
            ^!INSERT <A HREF="^&.htm">^&</A>
            ^!Jump SELECT_END

            HTH
            Ben
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
              John,

              Thank You.

              I will give it a shot.

              I will copy about ten to a back up directory and run it there, leaving
              my current source docs untouched.

              I appreciate it greatly.
              --
              ~~

              Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

              "Just the facts, maam."
              Sgt. Joe Friday,
              LAPD Badge #714
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
                Hi Jeff,

                I think I made what you want. Look in the latest (uploaded) DirStuff for:

                Update History
                ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                08-01-2004 Added "No. word" to link..." Special HTML link formatter

                It's under the --- Format Links --- section. If you get "Out of Memory"
                errors, you'll need to do it on smaller amounts of files at a time and
                possibly restart NoteTab each set. Definitely make backups!

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
                  Hi Jeff,

                  Sorry, forgot the link, although you already have it in the Library. ;)
                  There's some options as well in the Clip...

                  NoteTabbers Assistant Library Page
                  http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
                  Direct download for DirStuff
                  http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
                    OK Ben's solution worked within the DIRSTUFF code pakage, except on
                    single digit page Numbers (1-9) which I did manually in the TEST files.

                    (Now I have to chamge the extensions from *.bak back to *.htm...
                    --
                    ~~

                    Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                    "Just the facts, maam."