Re: [Clip] Convert Outline to text file

  • melchior prisi
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi,
      ----- on 01.08.2004 18:15 Jim Hall wrote:
      > Unfortunately, you can't open an outline file as a "FLAT" file in NT.

      You can:

      - Open a new document
      - Menu: Document / Insert File...
      - Choose the desired otl file

      There's your flat file.

      Remove the first line and save as .txt

      Regards,

      Melchior

      --
      http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
      http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi Dick,

        Use File | Export... if you don't mind the headings with dashed
        lines under them.

        About Outline Stuff
        Outline Stuff requires NoteTab version 4.8
        http://www.notetab.net
        http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
        http://www.notetab.net/zip/outline.zip
        Last updated on 08-01-2004 by Jody Adair

        Click on the Clip called "Extract Outline Text..." about a dozen
        Clips from the top. Option to browse for Outline and the leave or
        strip headings.

        >How do I remove all of the =H lines in an outline document, to
        >convert back to a plain text file?
        >
        >I have a clip that adds headings to a multi-section document,
        >saves it as a.otl, and re-opens. The result is a very nicely
        >outlined document, so that I can find and edit different
        >sections.
        >
        >But now I want to remove all the headings, so as to get back to a
        >plain text file.
        >
        >While in the OTL document, I can't search on "H=" lines. If I use
        >Remove Header it also removes all the contents (of course). If I
        >save it as a .txt, and re-open, it still opens as an outline.
        >
        >I guess I could write a clip to go to each topic, and Append To
        >File the contents, but that isn't very "elegant". ;-)

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
          > Dick Gascoigne wrote:

          > How do I remove all of the =H lines in an outline document,
          > to convert back to a plain text file?
          >
          > I have a clip that adds headings to a multi-section document,
          > saves it as a .otl, and re-opens. The result is a very nicely
          > outlined document, so that I can find and edit different sections.
          >
          > But now I want to remove all the headings, so as to get back
          > to a plain text file.
          >
          > While in the OTL document, I can't search on "H=" lines.
          > If I use Remove Header it also removes all the contents (of course).
          > If I save it as a .txt, and re-open, it still opens as an outline.
          >
          > I guess I could write a clip to go to each topic, and Append
          > To File the contents, but that isn't very "elegant". ;-)
          >
          > Dick Gascoigne
          > Singapore

          Dick,

          This is a short clip to do what you want.

          It will load the file text from any outline you select into a new file,
          delete the first line, find all lines that begin with H= and delete the
          H= leaving the rest of the title as a section label.

          It then saves the otl text as a text file, in the \outlines\ folder,
          using the same filename as the otl file, eg., 'test.otl' will be saved
          as 'test.txt' leaving the otl file intact for you to keep or dispose of
          later.

          When pasting it into a clip ensure the single long line is rejoined, it
          will probably be split by the email program. The long line is separated
          above and below with a blank comment line beginning with a lone semi-colon.

          In writing I assumed you outline files were in the NoteTab \outlines\
          folder.

          H="Otl2Text"
          ^!ClearVariables
          ^!SetDebug 1
          ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
          ;
          ^!Set %otl2edit%=^?{(T=O;F="OTL FILE|*.otl")Select Otl To Convert To
          Text=^$GetAppPath$Outlines\}
          ;
          ^!SetCode %otl%=^$GetFileText("^%otl2edit%")$
          ^!Menu File/New
          ^!InsertCode ^%otl%
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Find ^\=\sV4 TIRS
          ^!IfError EXIT
          ^!DeleteLine
          ^!Replace "^h\=" >> "" TIRSA
          ^!Save AS ^$GetAppPath$Outlines\^$GetName(^%otl2edit%)$.txt
        • Dick Gascoigne
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
            Hi, everyone -
            Thanks Jim, Jody, Melchior and HSavage for all your good suggestions.

            The Insert File works best for me - I hadn't even thought of it until
            reading Melchior's message.

            Before I saw HSavage's clip I had written a quick and dirty one to do
            somewhat the same. But I like yours better :-)

            If anyone is interested, the document starts out as a computer program with
            many subroutines - all in one several-thousand line text file. I run a clip
            that finds each subroutine name, and pastes an "^PH=<name>" line above it,
            then saves the file as an .otl.

            That makes it easy to jump back and forth between the subroutines to follow
            the Call's. But, after making changes to the code, I needed to strip out the
            H= lines to get back to the original form. Now I can !

            Works slick now. Thanks again.

            Dick in Singapore