Convert Outline to text file

  • Dick Gascoigne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 5:56 PM
      How do I remove all of the =H lines in an outline document, to convert back
      to a plain text file?

      I have a clip that adds headings to a multi-section document, saves it as a
      .otl, and re-opens. The result is a very nicely outlined document, so that I
      can find and edit different sections.

      But now I want to remove all the headings, so as to get back to a plain text
      file.

      While in the OTL document, I can't search on "H=" lines.
      If I use Remove Header it also removes all the contents (of course).
      If I save it as a .txt, and re-open, it still opens as an outline.

      I guess I could write a clip to go to each topic, and Append To File the
      contents, but that isn't very "elegant". ;-)

      Dick Gascoigne
      Singapore
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
        Dick,

        At 05:56 PM 7/31/2004, you wrote:
        >How do I remove all of the =H lines in an outline document, to convert back
        >to a plain text file?
        >
        >I have a clip that adds headings to a multi-section document, saves it as a
        >.otl, and re-opens. The result is a very nicely outlined document, so that I
        >can find and edit different sections.
        >
        >But now I want to remove all the headings, so as to get back to a plain text
        >file.
        >
        >While in the OTL document, I can't search on "H=" lines.
        >If I use Remove Header it also removes all the contents (of course).
        >If I save it as a .txt, and re-open, it still opens as an outline.
        >
        >I guess I could write a clip to go to each topic, and Append To File the
        >contents, but that isn't very "elegant". ;-)

        Unfortunately, you can't open an outline file as a "FLAT" file in NT.

        You need to use another editor to open the outline file and remove the file header:

        = V4 OutlineMultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

        Then you can open the resulting file as a Flat file in NT and remove the H= headers with a clip or a search and replace.

        The only application that I am aware of that will allow you to work with .OTL files as Flat files and as Outline files both is
        RS's excellent complement to NoteTab called InSight.

        You can learn more about InSight here:

        http://www.dataomega.com/insight

        Regards,

        Jim
      • melchior prisi
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
          Hi,
          ----- on 01.08.2004 18:15 Jim Hall wrote:
          > Unfortunately, you can't open an outline file as a "FLAT" file in NT.

          You can:

          - Open a new document
          - Menu: Document / Insert File...
          - Choose the desired otl file

          There's your flat file.

          Remove the first line and save as .txt

          Regards,

          Melchior

          --
          http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
          http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
            Hi Dick,

            Use File | Export... if you don't mind the headings with dashed
            lines under them.

            About Outline Stuff
            Outline Stuff requires NoteTab version 4.8
            http://www.notetab.net
            http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
            http://www.notetab.net/zip/outline.zip
            Last updated on 08-01-2004 by Jody Adair

            Click on the Clip called "Extract Outline Text..." about a dozen
            Clips from the top. Option to browse for Outline and the leave or
            strip headings.

            >How do I remove all of the =H lines in an outline document, to
            >convert back to a plain text file?
            >
            >I have a clip that adds headings to a multi-section document,
            >saves it as a.otl, and re-opens. The result is a very nicely
            >outlined document, so that I can find and edit different
            >sections.
            >
            >But now I want to remove all the headings, so as to get back to a
            >plain text file.
            >
            >While in the OTL document, I can't search on "H=" lines. If I use
            >Remove Header it also removes all the contents (of course). If I
            >save it as a .txt, and re-open, it still opens as an outline.
            >
            >I guess I could write a clip to go to each topic, and Append To
            >File the contents, but that isn't very "elegant". ;-)

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
              > Dick Gascoigne wrote:

              > How do I remove all of the =H lines in an outline document,
              > to convert back to a plain text file?
              >
              > I have a clip that adds headings to a multi-section document,
              > saves it as a .otl, and re-opens. The result is a very nicely
              > outlined document, so that I can find and edit different sections.
              >
              > But now I want to remove all the headings, so as to get back
              > to a plain text file.
              >
              > While in the OTL document, I can't search on "H=" lines.
              > If I use Remove Header it also removes all the contents (of course).
              > If I save it as a .txt, and re-open, it still opens as an outline.
              >
              > I guess I could write a clip to go to each topic, and Append
              > To File the contents, but that isn't very "elegant". ;-)
              >
              > Dick Gascoigne
              > Singapore

              Dick,

              This is a short clip to do what you want.

              It will load the file text from any outline you select into a new file,
              delete the first line, find all lines that begin with H= and delete the
              H= leaving the rest of the title as a section label.

              It then saves the otl text as a text file, in the \outlines\ folder,
              using the same filename as the otl file, eg., 'test.otl' will be saved
              as 'test.txt' leaving the otl file intact for you to keep or dispose of
              later.

              When pasting it into a clip ensure the single long line is rejoined, it
              will probably be split by the email program. The long line is separated
              above and below with a blank comment line beginning with a lone semi-colon.

              In writing I assumed you outline files were in the NoteTab \outlines\
              folder.

              H="Otl2Text"
              ^!ClearVariables
              ^!SetDebug 1
              ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
              ;
              ^!Set %otl2edit%=^?{(T=O;F="OTL FILE|*.otl")Select Otl To Convert To
              Text=^$GetAppPath$Outlines\}
              ;
              ^!SetCode %otl%=^$GetFileText("^%otl2edit%")$
              ^!Menu File/New
              ^!InsertCode ^%otl%
              ^!Jump 1
              ^!Find ^\=\sV4 TIRS
              ^!IfError EXIT
              ^!DeleteLine
              ^!Replace "^h\=" >> "" TIRSA
              ^!Save AS ^$GetAppPath$Outlines\^$GetName(^%otl2edit%)$.txt
            • Dick Gascoigne
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
                Hi, everyone -
                Thanks Jim, Jody, Melchior and HSavage for all your good suggestions.

                The Insert File works best for me - I hadn't even thought of it until
                reading Melchior's message.

                Before I saw HSavage's clip I had written a quick and dirty one to do
                somewhat the same. But I like yours better :-)

                If anyone is interested, the document starts out as a computer program with
                many subroutines - all in one several-thousand line text file. I run a clip
                that finds each subroutine name, and pastes an "^PH=<name>" line above it,
                then saves the file as an .otl.

                That makes it easy to jump back and forth between the subroutines to follow
                the Call's. But, after making changes to the code, I needed to strip out the
                H= lines to get back to the original form. Now I can !

                Works slick now. Thanks again.

                Dick in Singapore