Re: [Clip] help write clip to append block to a closed file

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2004
      Hi kitPATh,

      You want: ^!AppendToFile "FileName" AnyText

      ^!AppendToFile "C:\Path\...\FileName.ext" ^$GetSelection$

      You might copy the path\filename that I am guessing might be the
      heading and then select the text, and then click on the Clip,
      then pates the filename in . The wizard would be like:

      ^!AppendToFile "C:\Path\^?[Filename].ext" ^$GetSelection$
      or, it might not like the ^& instead of ^$GetSelection$
      ^!AppendToFile "C:\Path\^?{Filename}.ext" ^&
      ^!AppendToFile "C:\Path\^$GetTopicName$.txt" ^$GetSelection$

      FYI, at no extra cost ;) ^!TextToFile "FileName" AnyText

      ...will make a file if it does not exist. If the file exists,
      then it will be overwritten with the new data. (Not what you want
      at this time, nor the following ;)

      ^!Append %Variable%=Value
      Appends value to the content of %Variable%. This command also has
      the advantage of allowing assignments of function names and ^?{}
      prompts without causing these to be evaluated. This command is
      particularly useful for creating sophisticated Clip Wizards.

      ^!Find "data" s
      ^!Set %Variable1%=^$GetLine$
      ^!Append %Variable2%=^%Variable1%
      ^!Goto Loop

      Note: Not designed to use a function in the value place like the
      following which is invalid. You need to set the data in a
      variable first and then pass it to the ^!Append variable through
      it like the example above.

      ^!Append %Variable2%=^$GetLine$

      > I keep track of posts for the day in an outline file. Each
      > poster has a heading. The data are rows of one persons messages
      > (subjects) for that day.
      > After tallying and recording for the day -- got that part -- I
      > add the data to the person's file for month. So -- instead of
      > opening each person's file for a month log of messages, and
      > copy-paste the update.... I'm hoping there's a way to append
      > selected text to the unopened file.

      Take care,
      Jody Adair

      and even thou doest err some!
      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
    • kitpath
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2004
        thank you jody, i will try this now. (I'm having trouble with a slow-
        server today. cache is clean. i've don't all i can do -- if you don't
        hear back today, it could be the server..) -- THANKS again.