help write clip to append block to a closed file

  • kitPATh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26 8:56 AM
      hi all,
      I thought I saw a clip for something similar before. But can't find in the message archive. Append is too general.

      I keep track of posts for the day in an outline file. Each poster has a heading. The data are rows of one persons messages (subjects) for that day.

      After tallying and recording for the day -- got that part -- I add the data to the person's file for month. So -- instead of opening each person's file for a month log of messages, and copy-paste the update.... I'm hoping there's a way to append selected text to the unopened file.

      Does such a clip exist already? Help, please?

      patH(Riv)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26 10:44 AM
        Hi kitPATh,

        You want: ^!AppendToFile "FileName" AnyText

        ^!AppendToFile "C:\Path\...\FileName.ext" ^$GetSelection$

        You might copy the path\filename that I am guessing might be the
        heading and then select the text, and then click on the Clip,
        then pates the filename in . The wizard would be like:

        ^!AppendToFile "C:\Path\^?[Filename].ext" ^$GetSelection$
        or, it might not like the ^& instead of ^$GetSelection$
        ^!AppendToFile "C:\Path\^?{Filename}.ext" ^&
        or
        ^!AppendToFile "C:\Path\^$GetTopicName$.txt" ^$GetSelection$

        FYI, at no extra cost ;) ^!TextToFile "FileName" AnyText

        ...will make a file if it does not exist. If the file exists,
        then it will be overwritten with the new data. (Not what you want
        at this time, nor the following ;)

        ^!Append %Variable%=Value
        Appends value to the content of %Variable%. This command also has
        the advantage of allowing assignments of function names and ^?{}
        prompts without causing these to be evaluated. This command is
        particularly useful for creating sophisticated Clip Wizards.

        :Loop
        ^!Find "data" s
        ^!Set %Variable1%=^$GetLine$
        ^!Append %Variable2%=^%Variable1%
        ^!Goto Loop

        Note: Not designed to use a function in the value place like the
        following which is invalid. You need to set the data in a
        variable first and then pass it to the ^!Append variable through
        it like the example above.

        ^!Append %Variable2%=^$GetLine$

        > I keep track of posts for the day in an outline file. Each
        > poster has a heading. The data are rows of one persons messages
        > (subjects) for that day.
        >
        > After tallying and recording for the day -- got that part -- I
        > add the data to the person's file for month. So -- instead of
        > opening each person's file for a month log of messages, and
        > copy-paste the update.... I'm hoping there's a way to append
        > selected text to the unopened file.

        Take care,
        Jody Adair

        and even thou doest err some!
        http://clean-funnies.com
        http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
      • kitpath
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26 1:40 PM
          thank you jody, i will try this now. (I'm having trouble with a slow-
          server today. cache is clean. i've don't all i can do -- if you don't
          hear back today, it could be the server..) -- THANKS again.
          patH(Riv)