Re: [Clip] NoteTab software.

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2004
      Hello Gerard,

      At 03:59 AM 7/7/04 +0200, you wrote:
      >I have been watching this thread for some time now, and there may be
      >some misunderstanding as to what Richard wants. Or I have got it all wrong.
      >
      >Start NoteTab, activate PasteClips, and doubleclick !Start in PasteClip
      >window.
      >Open a nice big file for a spectacular result (I did it with the NoteTab
      >King James Bible text.otl, Genesis).
      >Select all, copy, rightclick in selected text and choose Copy to Clipbook.
      >NoteTab offers a name. Call it whatever you want (Genesis or Gen for
      >instance).
      >
      >All you now have to do is keep NoteTab, with PasteClip running, in the
      >background (you can clear the opened document in NoteTab, it's a Clip
      >now) and then type, in this case "Genesis", sans quotes, for example in
      >the body of a mail message, or whatever.
      >
      >Select the typed "Genesis", Ctr+C , and you, or rather NoteTab, will
      >paste the whole of creation ;-)into your doc in the application of your
      >choice.
      >
      >This *looks* horribly complicated, but it takes you less than 1/2 a
      >minute (and it's not much a case of writing a Clip either, but using
      >one). More importantly, in the future all you have to do is activate
      >PasteClips etc.
      >
      >Hope this helps.
      >
      >Gerard

      One of the biggest problems with trying to answer questions such as this by
      email is when someone uses a term that you do not understand. In this case
      for me the term is "pasteclips". Richard started using it and now you are
      using it. I went into NoteTab's help files and did a search and I cannot
      find any reference to "Pasteclips". It just is not there. I have been a
      registered user of NoteTab in all three versions and I have been on these
      lists since 1997 and I cannot remember hearing this term used. I used the
      context of Richard's message and his descriptions of what he was doing to
      try to determine what it was but every time anybody offers help, he comes
      back asking the same questions in a slightly different form. I end up
      getting frustrated and then I just give up for a while and see if someone
      else has a different take on this.

      Richard talks about using the right-click menu to "Copy to Clipboard".
      From that I assumed that he meant that "Pasteclips" was what everybody else
      just calls clips. Clips are programs or macros written in a special
      language by Eric Fookes for the NoteTab editor to allow the user to
      customize the editor to do many special things with plain ascii text
      documents.

      The very first thing that I learned was that clips could be used to "paste"
      text into a open document at the current cursor position when you activate
      them if all they contain is regular text From that I decided that Richard
      must be a rather new user and has just learned or is learning how to use
      clips and in that sense, I can see how he might think of clips as being
      "PasteClips".

      But clips can be used for so very much more than just pasting text into a
      document. Eric has provided a whole array of commands, variables,
      functions, wizards, and other things to allow the user to customize NoteTab
      by writing some very sophisticated and yes complicated programs. These
      programs are mostly limited to NoteTab's handling of ascii files but can be
      made to interact with other applications.

      Richard wants a button on NoteTab's toolbar that will do the "Copy to
      Clipboard" function but so far as I know there is no way to make this
      happen in a simple manner. One might be able to write a clip but that gets
      really very complicated.

      What I would have to do is create a clip something like this:

      ^!SetFocus Clipbook
      ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 C

      The first line switches the focus to the clipbook since that is what I
      think that Richard is trying to copy from.

      The second line sends a shifted F10 key followed by the letter C to
      NoteTab. If you click on a clip to focus it for copying and press and hold
      the shift key and then press the F10 function key, NoteTab will react as if
      you had clicked the right mouse button and the shortcut menu will "Copy to
      Clipboard" will appear. If you look at the items on that shortcut menu,
      you will see that the C in Copy in the "Copy to Clipboard" is underlined.
      This means that you can select that item when the menu is displayed by
      pressing the C key instead of clicking it with the mouse. This allows the
      keyboard macro to activate it without have to have a special program to
      simulate mouse cursor movements and button clicks.

      So ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 C performs the "Copy to Clipboard" when it is run.
      The problem here is that it only copies the clip I just wrote to the
      clipboard. If I want to copy another clip in the library or in another
      library with this clip, I cannot because I cannot activate it.

      But Richard asked for a button to do this. Well, actually there is a
      feature for NoteTab called Clipbars which is a second very customizable
      toobar that the user can create for themselves that will run a clip while
      another is in focus like this. And all you have to do is drag the new clip
      up onto the clipbar and a new button will be added to the bar and from then
      on you can "Copy to Clipboard" all you want with out worrying about which
      clip you are on. It will copy any clip from any clipbook displayed in the
      clipbook panel just by clicking on the button.

      So what is my probelm????? Well, Richard indicates he has NoteTab Light
      the freeware version. The freeware version does NOT support clipbars. If
      Richard really really wants this very very badly, he is going to have to
      get out his check book or credit card and buy one of the for sale versions
      of the software. NoteTab Standard is the cheapest but NoteTab Pro is the
      best.

      I hope that this helps.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
        Larry Thomas wrote:
        > Hello Gerard,
        >
        > At 03:59 AM 7/7/04 +0200, you wrote:
        >

        > So what is my probelm????? Well, Richard indicates he has NoteTab Light
        > the freeware version. The freeware version does NOT support clipbars. If
        > Richard really really wants this very very badly, he is going to have to
        > get out his check book or credit card and buy one of the for sale versions
        > of the software.

        Sorry about that Larry,
        I could have hit myself, as I forgot to check a wee thing before
        posting: I am using NTB Pro, and does NTB Lite support? ... No!

        Cheers,
        Gerard
        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        Paul Krugerstraat 48A
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
          Hi

          Thanks for your information.

          I will explain how I got to use the term PasteClip.

          Near the top left hand side of the window when you open up the software is a drop down box just below the tool bars. In it there are options in alphabetical order. The first one is AutoCorrect and the next one is CaptureLinks. There are a number more including the option of PasteClips which I have selected. There is a menu below with a heading in red of About this Library. Under it is a list of pasteclips I have saved. You may call them clips. When I right click on the name of the PasteClip or clip in the menu there is an option for "Copy to Clipboard" It would be good if there was a button for this operation.

          I created the clips or pasteclips by right clicking on any of the existing Pasteclips or clips and then selected ad new clip. I then typed in the name of the clip or pasteclip I want to saved it as. Then I pasted the text into the blank window on the right that I wanted to save as the clip or PasteClip.

          For the remainder of the letter I will use the term "clip" for what I previously called a "PasteClip".

          A better way instead of using the "Copy to Clipboard" option may be if there was a function to use a keystroke to automatically copy a clip to the clipboard without having to activate the Notetab Light software to select a clip. It would be good if I could associate copying each clip to the clipboard with a different keystroke. For example if the first clip that I saved is named General Email then I could set it up so it will automatically copy to the clipboard if I press Ctr+G.

          If I name the second clip "Christian Email" then I could set it up so it will automatically copy the clip to the clipboard if I press Ctr+H.

          Is this possible to easily do?

          Regards Richard.

        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
            Hi Richard,

            Wow! Oh Boy! I hardly know where to start but I will try.

            At 10:34 AM 7/8/04 +1000, you wrote:
            >Hi
            >
            >Thanks for your information.
            >
            >I will explain how I got to use the term PasteClip.
            >
            >Near the top left hand side of the window when you open up the software is
            a drop down box just below the tool bars. In it there are options in
            alphabetical order. The first one is AutoCorrect and the next one is
            CaptureLinks. There are a number more including the option of PasteClips
            which I have selected. There is a menu below with a heading in red of About
            this Library. Under it is a list of pasteclips I have saved. You may call
            them clips. When I right click on the name of the PasteClip or clip in the
            menu there is an option for "Copy to Clipboard" It would be good if there
            was a button for this operation.

            The top left hand side of the window you describe here is the clipbook
            library drop down list. When you click on the down arrow on the right end
            of this list, it drops down with a list of all of the clipbook libraries
            contained in your Libraries folder. You can see that list also with
            Windows Explorer by browseing to C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light\Libraries
            and you will see the files, each one with a .clb extension on it. When you
            learn more you can create your own clipbook library and add your own clips
            to it. You can also see this list by looking at the bottom of the NoteTab
            window where you will see a row of buttons with the names on them. You can
            switch from library to library by clicking on one of these Library button
            or you can go to the drop down list as you have done and select the library
            from there.

            It is a bit funny but for a new user, you picked one of the hardest
            libraries to start out in. This library has a couple of special clips in
            it that do things that are hard to explain to a new user but I will try.
            The last two clips near the bottom of the list are greyed out and you
            cannot double click on them to make them run the way you can a normal clip.
            The reason for this is that Eric locked them out by placing and Underscore
            before the clipname. Example: One is named _OnOpen. The reason Eric did
            this is that these clips are special in that they are normally run by some
            event occurring when you run NoteTab. The name "OnOpen" is a special name
            for a clip and you can only have one clip in a library with that name. If
            you do, when ever you select or open that library, NoteTab will
            automatically run that clip. The second clip is name OnClipboardChange and
            it is run everytime you copy anything to the clipboard.

            The way you use the PasteClips Library is that you can go to any
            application, MS Word, Wordpad, Eudora or even NoteTab itself. Open a
            document or a message. If you look at the list of clips below the drop
            down list you will see a list of clips such as ys, nts, ntp, ch, and
            others. If you go to an open document in MS Word for example and type in
            ys then highlight it and click on Words "copy" button on Words toolbar, you
            will activate NoteTab's "OnClipboardChange" which will replace the ys you
            typed with "Yours Sincerely,". Do you see what I mean by complicated. If
            you type nts and highlight it and click on the copy button NoteTab's
            "OnClipboardChange" clip will be run and it will replace nts with "NoteTab
            Standard".

            >I created the clips or pasteclips by right clicking on any of the existing
            Pasteclips or clips and then selected ad new clip. I then typed in the name
            of the clip or pasteclip I want to saved it as. Then I pasted the text into
            the blank window on the right that I wanted to save as the clip or PasteClip.

            Now, I would suggest for the sake of simplicity Richard that from now on,
            you do not create any more clips inside the existing example clipbook
            libraries that Eric provided and just keep these as examples to study for
            writing clips. You should create your own clipbook and add your libraries
            there and test them from there which will be much easier for you.

            >For the remainder of the letter I will use the term "clip" for what I
            previously called a "PasteClip".

            >A better way instead of using the "Copy to Clipboard" option may be if
            there was a function to use a keystroke to automatically copy a clip to the
            clipboard without having to activate the Notetab Light software to select a
            clip. It would be good if I could associate copying each clip to the
            clipboard with a different keystroke. For example if the first clip that I
            saved is named General Email then I could set it up so it will
            automatically copy to the clipboard if I press Ctr+G.

            >If I name the second clip "Christian Email" then I could set it up so it
            will automatically copy the clip to the clipboard if I press Ctr+H.

            >Is this possible to easily do?

            As you can see from my previous posts, there is no way to do this with
            NoteTab Light. I am not so sure you want to do this anyway. You should go
            ahead and create your own clipbook library and add clips to it and learn
            how they work first before you worry about the "Copy to Clipboard" button
            just yet.

            You can learn how to create your own clipbook from the help file but I will
            give you a quick example here. Place your mouse cursor over the drop down
            list of library names and click the right mouse button. You will see a
            special menu appear and the first item on it is "New". Click on "New" and
            a dialog box will appear that is labeled "Clipbook Library". Enter a name
            for your new library, "1Test" or "2Test" for example. When you do you will
            see a new name appear that you entered and the list below will be empty.
            Now you can right click on the empty list and select "add new clip" and
            then name your new clip, enter it and click ok and you have a new clip.

            By the way, the proper use os the "Copy to Clipboard" item is to go to
            another clipbook library, select a clip you want to copy and select "Copy
            to Clipboard" and return to your new library and click on an empty place on
            the clips list and right click and select "Add from Clipboard" and the clip
            you copied will be added to your new library complete with the same name it
            had in the other library.

            I hope this helps you get started

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Richard Hole
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 11, 2004
              Hi Larry or whoever can help,

              Thanks for your letter. Sorry not to reply sooner.

              I started my own library but actually deleted the clips of ys, nts, ntp, ch, etc in the PasteClips library before I received your letter. I hope it won't harm the program. It sound like using them would be very slow where you say
              "If you go to an open document in MS Word for example and type in
              ys then highlight it and click on Words "copy" button on Words toolbar, you will activate NoteTab's "OnClipboardChange" which will replace the ys you typed with "Yours Sincerely,"

              It is strange how a button can be created for almost anything else apart from "Copy to Clipboard" unless we can find out a way to do it. Do you think it will be done in any future versions?

              Using keystrokes to paste clips in directly would be much quicker tan activating the NoteTab program, clicking on the clip and copying it to the clipboard before pasting it. Can you do this with the paid for version of the program?

              Your help is appreciated
              Regards Richard.

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 12, 2004
                Hi Richard:

                > I want to paste text from the PasteClips board to any
                > program ...

                another suggestion.

                Regards ... Alec