Re: [Clip] How do I delete whole lines?

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 24, 2004
      On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:34:09 -0700, Alan C. wrote:

      [ . . ]

      Oh, Karin, you could have put the replace commands near very first so as to remove from orig doc. But, then, namn: would have been gone which the rest of the clip relied on.

      Here's, enclosed below, another major approach, significantly different (simpler approach) than the more complex logic clip that I shared the other day.

      My file I tested on wasn't too big which it did have 18 posts in it.

      On a big file, I'd be interested to hear back about if there's any speed difference of any much significance between some these different approaches of clips.

      With the original source doc open, this clip uses export command (seems to be a quick, easy way to make a copy of a file) then uses the close command to close the original doc. Then opens the exported copy. Then, simply, does all of its work on the copy.

      if have trouble with ascii char 26 perhaps suggest try go to yahoo groups on the www and copy the clip from there. I be glad to post it on my site but please just ask if anyone have need for it that way.

      Now I'll get back to my Perl coding. here the clip:

      H="junkb3"
      ^!Set %csvfile%=c~~s~~v.txt
      ^!Set %ntbdocs%=^$GetShort(^$GetDocumentPath$)$
      ^!Export ^%ntbdocs%^%csvfile% ASCII
      ^!Close
      ^!Open ^%ntbdocs%^%csvfile%
      ^!SetWordWrap OFF
      ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
      ^!Jump DOC_START
      :repeat
      ^!Find "Namn:" IST
      ^!IfError do_more
      ^!Select 6
      ^!Set %aPost%=^$GetSelection$
      ^!Set %csv%=^$StrReplace("^p";";";"^%aPost%";False;False)$
      ^!InsertSelect ^%csv%^%NL%
      ^!Goto repeat
      :do_more
      ^!Replace "Namn: " >> "" WAIS
      ^!Replace "Gatuadress: " >> "" WAIS
      ^!Replace "Postnummer: " >> "" WAIS
      ^!Replace "Postort: " >> "" WAIS
      ^!Replace "Telefon: " >> "" WAIS
      ^!Replace "E-post: " >> "" WAIS
      ^!Replace "\n+" >> "\n" WAISR
      ; ----<end<----

      --
      Alan.
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 24, 2004
        At 11:55 AM 6/24/04 +0200, you wrote:
        >Hi, Larry,
        >

        >That is an approach that I like, because it makes me to search for and
        hopefully find the answer - learning by doing. Our website is dedicated to
        help people to use their computers and to solve problems (for free). I use
        that "learning by doing" approach in all tutorials that I've written.

        >So I searched and found:
        >
        >; First I'm asking for the file name:
        >^!Set %csvfile%=^?{Ange filnamnet=}
        >
        >; Then for the folder:
        >^!Set %ntbdocs%=^?{(T=D)Ange mappen där filen skall sparas=}
        >
        >; Then for the number of fields:
        >^!Set %faelt%=^?{Ange antalet fält=}
        >
        >; And the field name on the first line in every post:
        >^!Set %faeltnamn%=^?{Ange fältnamnet på första raden i posten=}
        >
        >;In ":upprepa" (repeat) I then search the original file for the first
        field name:
        >^!Find "^%faeltnamn%" IST
        >^!IfError avslut
        >
        >; And choose as many lines as %faelt% says:
        >^!Select ^%faelt%
        >
        >It started to work when I changed "^!Select %faelt%" to "^!Select ^%faelt%".
        >
        >Now I'll try to bring all those ^!Set... together in one dialog box.

        If you read further in the help on wizards, you will see that thare are two
        different forms. One uses square brackets ([]) and I thnk that you would
        want to use this form. NoteTab's clip parser goes through the clip and
        runs all of the square brack wizards first before it runs the clips over
        all. The second from of wizard uses braces ({}) also called curley
        brackets by others on the list. These wizards are not run by NoteTabs clip
        parser until it executes the line where each one is located.

        If you just want to open a single imput dialog with all of the imputs
        showing at the beginnig of your clip, then you use brackets ([]) and it
        will happen that way. You must be careful to use a different description
        for each one or you will only get one entry box.

        ^?[Enter folder name=] ^?[Enter folder name=]

        will only produce one entry box fore the two.

        ^?[Enter folder name01=] ^?[Enter folder name02=]

        will produce one dialog contain two entry boxes, one for name01 and one for
        name02.

        If you want multiple entry boxes for braces ({}) or curley brackets you
        need to use the form below:

        ^!Set %var01%=^?{Enter file name01=}; %var02%=^?{Enter file name02=}

        You should also read and try the other forms of wizards which will allow
        you to browse to directories, specify save or open parameters and display
        checkboxes for multiple entries, etc. All of these can be helpful and you
        can place them in an ^!Info style box to try them out without risking
        damaging any of you documents.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 24, 2004
          Hi again,

          I forgot -- your doc has headers in it. My last clip didn't accomodate for ridding of the headers. If something comes to mind in that regard, I'll share it.

          Hmm, if I have a good day, I'll get lucky and won't forget what a certain Perl command means and therefore will not accidentally get my hard drive formatted.

          Have fun!

          --
          Alan.
        • Karin Andersson
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 25, 2004
            Hi,

            When I use:

            ^!Set %csvfile%=^?{(T=O)Ange filnamnet=};%faelt%=^?{Ange antalet=};%faeltnamn%=^?{Ange namnet=}

            and later:

            ^!AppendToFile ^%csvfile% ^%csv%^%NL%

            it works if %csvfile% is for example D:\Testar\test.csv but not if %csvfile% is D:\Mina dokument\test.csv.

            The clip finds the file, but it doesn't append %csv% to it.

            I understand that the difference is the blank in "Mina dokument", but how do I get AppendToFile to append to the file also when there is a blank in the folder name?

            Regards,
            Karin
          • Karin Andersson
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 26, 2004
              Hi!

              The conditions again: A mail archive file consists of about 5000 posts like this:

              Namn: Some name
              Gatuadress: Some address
              Postnummer: Some ZIP code
              Postort: Some city
              Telefon: Some phone number
              Fax: Some fax number
              E-post: A mail address
              And so on ....

              Between the posts there are plenty of other stuff, like headers, helloes, regards...

              And I wanted to sift out the data posts and make a csv file with the data but nothing more.

              My solution below has some advantages:
              I can state the number of fields to be included.
              I have the new file open when I delete the field names - I can see the names and type them correct:-).
              It works fairly fast - when testing with 11000 posts and 4 fields it took less than one minute.

              But:
              Is there a possibility to change

              ^!SetArray %faelten%=^?{Type the field name to be deleted.}
              ^!Replace "^%faelten% " >> "" A

              so that I can write all the field names at once, separetad with for example a semicolon or something like that?

              And: I'm choosing the number of fields with

              ^!Select ^%faelt%

              starting from the field name in %faeltnamn%.

              It would be nice if I could choose for example 3 fields but not necessarily from the beginning of the post, say the fields "Namn", "Telefon" and "E-post".

              Regards,
              Karin

              The clip:
              --------------

              ; Open a dialog
              ^!Set %csvfile%=^?[(T=O)Save in - if the file doesn't exist it will be created.=];%faelt%=^?[The number of fields in each post=];%faeltnamn%=^?[The name on the first field=]

              ; Use 1 to open the new file, 0 to not open it.
              ^!Set %open%=1

              ^!Skip If ^%csvfile% doesn't exist it will be created.^%NL%If the file already exists the new posts will be added.^%NL%^%NL%Do you want to add posts in ^%csvfile%?
              ^!Goto end

              ^!SetScreenUpdate ON
              ^!Jump DOC_START
              :upprepa
              ^!Find "^%faeltnamn%" IST
              ^!IfError avslut
              ; Choose how many fields to get from each post.
              ^!Select ^%faelt%
              ^!Set %aPost%=^$GetSelection$
              ^!Set %csv%=^$StrReplace("^p";";";"^%aPost%";False;False)$
              ; Add the value to the new file and make a linebreak.
              ^!AppendToFile "^%csvfile%" ^%csv%^%NL%
              ^!Goto upprepa
              :avslut
              ^!Select 0
              ^!Open ^%csvfile%
              ;Counter for the field names
              ^!Set %Count%=0
              :Lista
              ^!SetArray %faelten%=^?{Type the field name to be deleted.}
              ^!Replace "^%faelten% " >> "" A
              ;Add to Count
              ^!Inc %Count%
              ^!If ^%Count%=^%faelt% Spara ELSE Lista
              :Spara
              ^!Save

              ^!IfTrue ^%open% end
              ^!Close
              ; -----<slut<--

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 26, 2004
                next will handle from zero on up to six fields. if need more than six, merely add onto the replace code pay particular attention to the each digit which each is one array item.

                if you know you'll always have at least one field, then the correspondingly very first iffalse could be eliminated.

                square bracket wiz need not be all on same line as all @ next will pop up at once for the user.
                --

                ; wizard code
                ^!Set %csvfile%=^?[(T=O)Save in - if the file doesn't exist it will be created.=];%faelt%=^?[The number of fields in each post=]
                ^!SetArray %faeltnamn%=^?[ea field name separate by colon=Namn:;Gatuadress:]

                ^!Info faeltnamn0: ^%faeltnamn0%
                ^!Info faeltnamn1: ^%faeltnamn1%
                ^!Info faeltnamn2: ^%faeltnamn2%
                ^!Info faeltnamn3: ^%faeltnamn3%

                ; replace code
                ^!IfFalse ^%faeltnamn1% Skip
                ^!Replace "^%faeltnamn1% " >> "" WAIS
                ^!IfFalse ^%faeltnamn2% Skip
                ^!Replace "^%faeltnamn2% " >> "" WAIS
                ^!IfFalse ^%faeltnamn3% Skip
                ^!Replace "^%faeltnamn3% " >> "" WAIS
                ^!IfFalse ^%faeltnamn4% Skip
                ^!Replace "^%faeltnamn4% " >> "" WAIS
                ^!IfFalse ^%faeltnamn5% Skip
                ^!Replace "^%faeltnamn5% " >> "" WAIS
                ^!IfFalse ^%faeltnamn6% Skip
                ^!Replace "^%faeltnamn6% " >> "" WAIS
                ^!IfFalse ^%faeltnamn7% Skip
                ^!Replace "^%faeltnamn7% " >> "" WAIS
                ; -----<end---------

                --Alan.

                On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:26:34 +0200, Karin Andersson wrote:
> [...]
                > ^!Open ^%csvfile%
                > Counter for the field names
                > ^!Set %Count%=0
                > :Lista
                > ^!SetArray %faelten%=^?{Type the field name to be deleted.}
                > ^!Replace "^%faelten% " >> "" A
                > Add to Count
                > ^!Inc %Count%
                > ^!If ^%Count%=^%faelt% Spara ELSE Lista
                > :Spara
                > ^!Save
                >
                > ^!IfTrue ^%open% end
                > ^!Close
                >  -----<slut<--
                >
                > 2004-06-24 klockan 16:19 skrev Larry Thomas:
                >

                >>You should also read and try the other forms of wizards which will allow
                >>you to browse to directories, specify save or open parameters and display
                >>checkboxes for multiple entries, etc.  All of these can be helpful and you
                >>can place them in an ^!Info style box to try them out without risking

              • Alan C.
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 26, 2004

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 27, 2004
                    Hi Alan,

                    Many, many thanks!

                    I really learned quite a lot from that. I've been using NoteTab since about four years and still I discover new possibilities. The reason for my questions is that I'm trying to learn enough about clip writing to make a basic tutorial about it in Swedish.
                    A tutorial like this would lend extra substance to my recommendations about using NoteTab.
                    Even if it's true that most Swedes read English quite well, it can be very hard to understand the English help file - I'm a professional translater from English to Swedish, but I do have difficulties to understand as the clip writing is a completely new concept for me.

                    But I made some changes in your code. In the beginning I now have:

                    ^!Set %csvfile%=^?[(T=O)Save in - if the file doesn't exist it will be created=];%faelt%=^?[The number of fields in each post=]
                    ^!SetArray %faelten%=^?[The field names separated by semicolon=Namn:;Gatuadress:;]
                    ^!Set %Count%=0

                    Then I changed Lista to:

                    :Lista
                    ^!Inc %Count%
                    ^!Replace "^%faelten^%Count%% " >> "" A
                    ^!If ^%Count%=^%faelt% Spara ELSE Lista

                    Then - as far as I can see - I don't need the "; replace code" block. I tested with a big file - 100000 lines (lots of redundant lines plus 8300 posts) - and with 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 field names. The resulting CSV file is perfect and the clip works fast, also when I use "^!SetScreenUpdate ON" (it's funnier if you can see what's happening...).

                    Regards,
                    Karin

                    2004-06-26 klockan 22:51 (wrote) Alan C.:

                    >next will handle from zero on up to six fields.  if need more than six,
                    >merely add onto the replace code pay particular attention to the each
                    >digit which each is one array item.
                    >
                    >if you know you'll always have at least one field, then the
                    >correspondingly very first iffalse could be eliminated.
                    >
                    >square bracket wiz need not be all on same line as all @ next will pop up
                    >at once for the user.
                    >--
                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 27, 2004
                      Karin Andersson wrote:
                      [ . . ]
                      > A tutorial like this would lend extra substance to my recommendations about using NoteTab.

                      I suspect that lots of people who have never before encountered NoteTab
                      would not right away notice the power of the clip language. But,
                      conversely, someone with some programming experience likely would.

                      I'm a professional translater from English to Swedish, but I do have
                      difficulties to understand as the clip writing is a completely new
                      concept for me.

                      I came from non programmer background. An investment of time and effort
                      with help from others on this list, and Jody's clip basics tutorial, for
                      me made significant progress. It's like learning a new language, not a
                      light weight thing, takes a while.

                      The help file is much more accessible now to someone with no programming
                      experience or background. But it helps if you have some sort of such
                      experience before you began to use the help file.

                      Jody, this list owner, has a tutorial for the clip basics. His site is:

                      www.notetab.net

                      I haven't checked recently but, if interested, you might look there. If
                      nothing else, perhaps contact info or maybe where the tutorial is to be had.

                      > But I made some changes in your code. In the beginning I now have:
                      >
                      > ^!Set %csvfile%=^?[(T=O)Save in - if the file doesn't exist it will be created=];%faelt%=^?[The number of fields in each post=]
                      > ^!SetArray %faelten%=^?[The field names separated by semicolon=Namn:;Gatuadress:;]
                      > ^!Set %Count%=0
                      >
                      > Then I changed Lista to:
                      >
                      > :Lista
                      > ^!Inc %Count%
                      > ^!Replace "^%faelten^%Count%% " >> "" A

                      I had tried just exactly that, loop and iterate, tried it a few days ago
                      and couldn't get it/same to work which is the only reason I posted the
                      replace "block" that you saw so to speak. I probably had a typo in my
                      code that I was unable to find at the time.