Re: [Clip] How to place a line at the top of the screen?

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 21, 2004
      At 07:46 AM 6/21/04 +0200, you wrote:
      >Hi,
      >----- on 21.06.2004 04:37 you wrote:
      >> Far as I know there is no ^!insert command in NoteTab.
      >
      >^!insert doesn't appear in the help file (anymore),
      >nevertheless it works fine and reliable:
      >
      >H="test"
      >^!set %line%=a line^%nl%
      >^!toolbar new document
      >^!insert ^%line%
      >;-----

      Thanks for the info. I probably stick with ^!InsertText as my memory is
      not so good as to remember that ^!Insert is good code.

      >Just
      >^%line%
      >does the same, but for me clip code is better
      >to read if there is always a ^!command, a :label
      >or a ;comment at the left...

      Just a comment here... The very first use of NoteTab that I remember from
      when it was called Super NoteTab was as a text paste utility. There have
      always been ^!commands in NoteTab from as far back as I can remember but I
      first used clips simply to paste blocks of text into open documents - which
      is why Eric has had to use ^!, ^%, ^$, and ^? type prefixes to the various
      commands, variables, functions, and wizards to keep the parser from
      inserting these items themselves directly into the open document.

      And then for a while, I became so focused on using commands, variables,
      functions, etc that I was rather surprised when another user wrote a clip
      last year that used large blocks of text to be pasted into the document
      with the other clip elements interspersed with the text. I had just
      forgotten how useful the text pasting feature could be when used with the
      other elements. I was using it by itself or just using the other elements
      by themself instead of using them together.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 21, 2004
        Larry Thomas wrote:

        >> Hi,
        >> ----- on 21.06.2004 04:37 you wrote:
        >>
        >>> Far as I know there is no ^!insert command in NoteTab.
        >>
        >> ^!insert doesn't appear in the help file (anymore),
        >> nevertheless it works fine and reliable:
        >>
        >> H="test"
        >> ^!set %line%=a line^%nl%
        >> ^!toolbar new document
        >> ^!insert ^%line%
        >> ;-----
        >
        > Thanks for the info. I probably stick with ^!InsertText as my memory is
        > not so good as to remember that ^!Insert is good code.
        >
        > Just a comment here... The very first use of NoteTab that I remember
        from
        > when it was called Super NoteTab was as a text paste utility. There have
        > always been ^!commands in NoteTab from as far back as I can remember
        but I
        > first used clips simply to paste blocks of text into open documents
        >
        > Regards,

        Hi,

        A quick comment, I've, previously, read on these lists ^!Insert was and
        is valid code. It is no longer documented and was superseded by the
        other ^!Insert... commands so I opted to use the current, documented,
        commands.

        I assume Eric had a valid reason for changing this and creating more
        specific commands, and, keep in mind, a future version may eliminate
        this code altogether since it is old and undocumented.

        hrs
      • melchior prisi
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 21, 2004
          Hi;
          ----- on 21.06.2004 14:25 hsavage wrote:
          > A quick comment, I've, previously, read on these lists
          > ^!Insert was and is valid code.
          (...)
          > keep in mind, a future version may eliminate
          > this code altogether since it is old and undocumented.

          You are right.
          I didn't intend to /recommend/ it...

          Regards,
          Melchior

          --
          http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
          http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 22, 2004
            Melchior,

            I took the idea of using ^!setview from H. Savage and added a variable to make it more useful. One aspect of scrolling is that, once you get close to the end of file, the cursor still lands on the line number you specify but that line is not at the top of window.

            H="Set View to Line N"
            ; 06-22-04 new; asks for a line number and scrolls that line to the top of the window.
            ^!Set %line_number%=^?[Jump to what line number?]
            ^!Jump ^%line_number%
            ^!SetView ^%line_number%:1

            Yours,

            Michael F
            -���-
            ~

            *************************
            Never Forget
            September 11, 2001
            *************************
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2004
              mfrascinella@... wrote:

              > Melchior,
              >
              > I took the idea of using ^!setview from H. Savage and added a variable
              > to make it more useful. One aspect of scrolling is that, once you get
              > close to the end of file, the cursor still lands on the line number
              > you specify but that line is not at the top of window.
              >

              > H="Set View to Line N"
              > ; 06-22-04 new; asks for a line number and scrolls that line to the
              top of the window.
              > ^!Set %line_number%=^?[Jump to what line number?]
              > ^!Jump ^%line_number%
              > ^!SetView ^%line_number%:1
              >
              > Yours,
              >
              > Michael F

              Michael F,

              Sorry I didn't read more closely and answer sooner. AFAIK - NoteTab
              won't leave blank whitespace in the edit window at EOF unless you create
              it with CRLF's, or, unless you have to few lines in the entire file to
              fill the edit window.

              When doing auto text manipulation near the EOF NoteTab will always place
              the last CRLF line at the bottom of the edit window.

              hrs