Re: Disk replace in Standard

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
      > I am doing global replacements in NoteTab Standard.
      >
      > I need to remove all HTML "Head" coding in all htm files in a
      directory,
      > and its subfolders, (I already know how to get the replace to do
      > globals with Control+d)
      >
      > How do I get the process (via a clip) to automatically seek out
      > </head>, and delete everything before it, replacing it with the
      coding
      > that will standardize all pages?
      >
      > (and is there a way to toggle off word wrap in all documents in a
      sub
      > directory? I have done it before using the Keyboard command as a
      part
      > of the clip on OPEN docs.)
      >

      > --
      > ``
      >
      > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

      Recently I'd made a clip similar to what search disk does so it
      didn't take much modification to do what you want.

      I took what you said literally Jeff, meaning you wish to delete
      everything AHEAD of </head> in all documents. If you instead meant
      to delete everything ahead of </head> including </head> then you
      should change the

      ^!Jump SELECT_START

      Line to:

      ^!Jump SELECT_END

      Put the new code to be used in a new empty text file. In my example
      below I used:

      C:\Mine\Upload\home\newcode.tmp

      Also, the line in the clip that would normally save each page after
      it was processed is commented out. So if the clip does not do what
      you want, you won't lose the originals (unless of course you do save
      them).

      Change the value assigned to the %PATH% variable from

      C:\Mine\Upload\home\

      to where your files are, and if necessary, the file types from *.htm*
      to what you want.

      Finally, I do not know why this would not work on Standard, but I do
      not use Standard so I cannot say that for sure.

      I'll leave the word wrap part of your questions for someone else to
      answer, there's a nasty storm moving in fast so I have to shut things
      down.

      John

      ; begin clip =======================

      ~temp3

      ; SET FULL PATH TO SEARCH (PRECEDE WITH A +
      ; TO INCLUDE SUBDIRECTORIES
      ^!Set %PATH%=C:\Mine\Upload\home\
      ; SET TYPE OF FILE (WILDCARDS OK
      ^!Set %TYPE%=*.htm*

      ; THE NEW IMPROVED CODE THAT WILL BE USED AS THE
      ; REPLACEMENT CODE IS STORED IN THE FOLLOWING
      ; FILE. OPEN IT AND ASSIGN ITS CONTENTS TO A VAR
      ^!OpenReadOnly "C:\Mine\Upload\home\newcode.tmp"
      ^!Set %NEWCODE%=^$GetText$
      ^!Close Discard

      ^!SetWizardTitle Search in:
      ^!SetWizardLabel ^%PATH%
      ^!Set %CNT%=0
      ^!SetArray %FILES%=^$GetFiles("^%PATH%";^%TYPE%;;Name)$
      ^!StatusShow Please Wait.Searching files for </head>
      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

      :Loop
      ^!Inc %CNT%
      ^!Open ^%FILES^%CNT%%
      ^!Find "</head>" TIWS
      ^!IfError CloseIt
      ^!Jump SELECT_START
      ; SELECT EVERYTHING PRECEDING </HEAD>
      ^!SelectTo 1:1
      ; NOW REPLACE WHAT IS SELECTED WITH NEW CODE
      ^!InsertHtml ^%NEWCODE%

      ; save the file
      ;^!Save

      ^!If "^%CNT%" < "^%FILES0%" Loop
      ^!GoTo End

      :CloseIt
      ; IF THE FILE WAS ALREADY OPEN AND MODIFIED DO NOT CLOSE IT
      ^!If "^$IsModified$" = "1" skip_1
      ^!Close ^%FILES^%CNT%%
      ^!If "^%CNT%" < "^%FILES0%" Loop
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...>
        wrote:

        > ; begin clip =======================
        >
        > ~temp3

        One storm cell went through but another is coming in behind it so I'm
        only online again for a moment.

        I noticed in my previous post that in the clip I inadvertently forgot
        to take out

        ~temp3

        At the top of it. That's the name of the clip. I have a series of
        clips titles named ~temp1 ~temp2 etc for storing temporary clips I
        want to experiment with. It should not have been included in my first
        answer to you.

        John
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
          I am apparently doing something wrong, I get a line error in line 22 (open)

          --
          ``

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
          If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
          and tell us what REALLY happened.
          ~~~~
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
            > I am apparently doing something wrong, I get a line error in line
            22 (open)

            > --
            > ``
            >
            > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

            Well I just checked the NoteTab site for the differences between
            Standard and Pro and I don't see anything that should prevent the
            clip from working for you.

            What exact error do you get? I assume by line 22 you're referring to
            this one:

            ^!Open ^%FILES^%CNT%%

            John
          • Jeff Scism

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
                > I am apparently doing something wrong, I get a line error in line
                22 (open)

                > --
                > ``
                >
                > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                Oh wait, I think I found it. My original clip searched files in
                directories that did not have any spaces in the full path. So it did
                not need the double quotes around the full file path/name. Try
                changing that line to:

                ^!Open "^%FILES^%CNT%%"

                And then see if it works.

                John
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
                  I know about those storm watches, no hurry on getting this, I have been
                  working to "clean up" this site for two years now, and it is finally
                  "looking" presentable, I started with NO HTML experience, and NoteTab
                  has taught me alot.

                  --
                  ``

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
                    You also should put double quotes around this line too near the end
                    of the clip.

                    ^!Close ^%FILES^%CNT%%

                    So it becomes:

                    ^!Close "^%FILES^%CNT%%"

                    Sorry for the confusion Jeff, I'm dodging too many storms and not
                    able to take my time doing this.

                    John
                  • John Zeman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
                      > I know about those storm watches, no hurry on getting this, I have
                      been
                      > working to "clean up" this site for two years now, and it is
                      finally
                      > "looking" presentable, I started with NO HTML experience, and
                      NoteTab
                      > has taught me alot.
                      >
                      > --
                      > ``
                      >
                      > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG
                      >
                      > Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
                      > If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
                      > and tell us what REALLY happened.
                      > ~~~~

                      At the moment the storms are holding but that could change any second.

                      Can you post the clip back here so I can look for any differences
                      between yours and my original?

                      John
                    • John Zeman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 12, 2004
                        I just got your email Jeff and will respond to you that way from now
                        on regarding this thread so we don't clutter up this board.

                        But for anyone else following this, here is what is probably wrong.

                        Jeff is using the offline URL path to his folder of files. Instead
                        of this:

                        File:///C:/allgenealogy/all-genealogy-websites/inmontgo/bios/

                        He needs to use:

                        C:\allgenealogy\all-genealogy-websites\inmontgo\bios\