Re: [Clip] running a clip on an external text file...

  • Rowel I. Lirag
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
      Tried that, I still ran out of memory.

      I'm looking for the expression ,\s+{[A-Z]+}\s+{[0-9]+}
      and replacing it with \t\1\t\2

      I've tested the above on a subset of the document and it works so I
      know it couldn't be the expressions.

      I unloaded every document open in NoteTab before I did the CTRL-D
      search and replace.

      What could be the problem?

      ROWEL
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
      > Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about
      PRO) but
      > not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use
      the
      > control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is
      > replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not
      be undone.
    • jaytee556
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
        You could try using gawk on the file.

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Rowel I. Lirag" <rowelx@c...>
        wrote:

        > I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
        > 25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
        > reports that I'm out of memory.
        >
        > Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular
        expression
        > (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading
        it
        > first?
        >
        > Many thanks in advance.
        >

        > ROWEL
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
          That's strange. That feature works on the disk files. It does not open the files in Notetab.
          --

          On a big file, it can be faster to not use the replace but instead to use the find command and use a loop. Find each item then handle the change for that one item, then go on (via repetitive loop) find next.

          :repeat
          find whatever
          iferror end
          replace getselection >> \t\1\t\2 IS
          goto repeat
          ; ----------------------

          Oh, I just now see you are use of a tagged match. Hmm, if you use find and a loop, you'll have to deal with that.

          And/or try Perl maybe if you want to do so.

          The search disk or disk file feature should not caused you memory problem unless I'm mistaken.

          Alan.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 12, 2004
            Hi Rowel,

            NoteTab's current Regular Expression engine does not do well with
            long or complex RegExp. Also, using the /n new line expression
            often ends with a Out of Memory. Use a perl engine as suggested,
            shorten your expression into pieces doing a few passes, or use
            NoteTab's Clip code instead to work around the problem.