Re: [Clip] running a clip on an external text file...

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
      Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about PRO) but
      not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use the
      control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is a
      replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not be undone.

      --
      ``

      Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

      Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
      If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
      and tell us what REALLY happened.
      ~~~~
    • Rowel I. Lirag
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
        Tried that, I still ran out of memory.

        I'm looking for the expression ,\s+{[A-Z]+}\s+{[0-9]+}
        and replacing it with \t\1\t\2

        I've tested the above on a subset of the document and it works so I
        know it couldn't be the expressions.

        I unloaded every document open in NoteTab before I did the CTRL-D
        search and replace.

        What could be the problem?

        ROWEL
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
        > Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about
        PRO) but
        > not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use
        the
        > control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is
        > replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not
        be undone.
      • jaytee556
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
          You could try using gawk on the file.

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Rowel I. Lirag" <rowelx@c...>
          wrote:

          > I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
          > 25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
          > reports that I'm out of memory.
          >
          > Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular
          expression
          > (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading
          it
          > first?
          >
          > Many thanks in advance.
          >

          > ROWEL
        • Alan C.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
            That's strange. That feature works on the disk files. It does not open the files in Notetab.
            --

            On a big file, it can be faster to not use the replace but instead to use the find command and use a loop. Find each item then handle the change for that one item, then go on (via repetitive loop) find next.

            :repeat
            find whatever
            iferror end
            replace getselection >> \t\1\t\2 IS
            goto repeat
            ; ----------------------

            Oh, I just now see you are use of a tagged match. Hmm, if you use find and a loop, you'll have to deal with that.

            And/or try Perl maybe if you want to do so.

            The search disk or disk file feature should not caused you memory problem unless I'm mistaken.

            Alan.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 12, 2004
              Hi Rowel,

              NoteTab's current Regular Expression engine does not do well with
              long or complex RegExp. Also, using the /n new line expression
              often ends with a Out of Memory. Use a perl engine as suggested,
              shorten your expression into pieces doing a few passes, or use
              NoteTab's Clip code instead to work around the problem.