running a clip on an external text file...

  • Rowel I. Lirag
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
      I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
      25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
      reports that I'm out of memory.

      Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular expression
      (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading it
      first?

      Many thanks in advance.

      ROWEL
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
        Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about PRO) but
        not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use the
        control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is a
        replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not be undone.

        --
        ``

        Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

        Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
        If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
        and tell us what REALLY happened.
        ~~~~
      • Rowel I. Lirag
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
          Tried that, I still ran out of memory.

          I'm looking for the expression ,\s+{[A-Z]+}\s+{[0-9]+}
          and replacing it with \t\1\t\2

          I've tested the above on a subset of the document and it works so I
          know it couldn't be the expressions.

          I unloaded every document open in NoteTab before I did the CTRL-D
          search and replace.

          What could be the problem?

          ROWEL
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
          > Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about
          PRO) but
          > not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use
          the
          > control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is
          > replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not
          be undone.
        • jaytee556
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
            You could try using gawk on the file.

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Rowel I. Lirag" <rowelx@c...>
            wrote:

            > I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
            > 25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
            > reports that I'm out of memory.
            >
            > Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular
            expression
            > (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading
            it
            > first?
            >
            > Many thanks in advance.
            >

            > ROWEL
          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
              That's strange. That feature works on the disk files. It does not open the files in Notetab.
              --

              On a big file, it can be faster to not use the replace but instead to use the find command and use a loop. Find each item then handle the change for that one item, then go on (via repetitive loop) find next.

              :repeat
              find whatever
              iferror end
              replace getselection >> \t\1\t\2 IS
              goto repeat
              ; ----------------------

              Oh, I just now see you are use of a tagged match. Hmm, if you use find and a loop, you'll have to deal with that.

              And/or try Perl maybe if you want to do so.

              The search disk or disk file feature should not caused you memory problem unless I'm mistaken.

              Alan.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 12, 2004
                Hi Rowel,

                NoteTab's current Regular Expression engine does not do well with
                long or complex RegExp. Also, using the /n new line expression
                often ends with a Out of Memory. Use a perl engine as suggested,
                shorten your expression into pieces doing a few passes, or use
                NoteTab's Clip code instead to work around the problem.