running a clip on an external text file...

  • Rowel I. Lirag
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
      I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
      25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
      reports that I'm out of memory.

      Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular expression
      (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading it
      first?

      Many thanks in advance.

      ROWEL
    • Rowel I. Lirag

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
          Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about PRO) but
          not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use the
          control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is a
          replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not be undone.

          --
          ``

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
          If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
          and tell us what REALLY happened.
          ~~~~
        • Rowel I. Lirag
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
            Tried that, I still ran out of memory.

            I'm looking for the expression ,\s+{[A-Z]+}\s+{[0-9]+}
            and replacing it with \t\1\t\2

            I've tested the above on a subset of the document and it works so I
            know it couldn't be the expressions.

            I unloaded every document open in NoteTab before I did the CTRL-D
            search and replace.

            What could be the problem?

            ROWEL
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
            > Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about
            PRO) but
            > not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use
            the
            > control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is
            > replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not
            be undone.
          • jaytee556
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
              You could try using gawk on the file.

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Rowel I. Lirag" <rowelx@c...>
              wrote:

              > I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
              > 25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
              > reports that I'm out of memory.
              >
              > Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular
              expression
              > (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading
              it
              > first?
              >
              > Many thanks in advance.
              >

              > ROWEL
            • Alan C.
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                That's strange. That feature works on the disk files. It does not open the files in Notetab.
                --

                On a big file, it can be faster to not use the replace but instead to use the find command and use a loop. Find each item then handle the change for that one item, then go on (via repetitive loop) find next.

                :repeat
                find whatever
                iferror end
                replace getselection >> \t\1\t\2 IS
                goto repeat
                ; ----------------------

                Oh, I just now see you are use of a tagged match. Hmm, if you use find and a loop, you'll have to deal with that.

                And/or try Perl maybe if you want to do so.

                The search disk or disk file feature should not caused you memory problem unless I'm mistaken.

                Alan.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 12, 2004
                  Hi Rowel,

                  NoteTab's current Regular Expression engine does not do well with
                  long or complex RegExp. Also, using the /n new line expression
                  often ends with a Out of Memory. Use a perl engine as suggested,
                  shorten your expression into pieces doing a few passes, or use
                  NoteTab's Clip code instead to work around the problem.