running a clip on an external text file...

  • Rowel I. Lirag
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
      I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
      25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
      reports that I'm out of memory.

      Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular expression
      (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading it
      first?

      Many thanks in advance.

      ROWEL
    • Rowel I. Lirag

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
            Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about PRO) but
            not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use the
            control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is a
            replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not be undone.

            --
            ``

            Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

            Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
            If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
            and tell us what REALLY happened.
            ~~~~
          • Rowel I. Lirag
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
              Tried that, I still ran out of memory.

              I'm looking for the expression ,\s+{[A-Z]+}\s+{[0-9]+}
              and replacing it with \t\1\t\2

              I've tested the above on a subset of the document and it works so I
              know it couldn't be the expressions.

              I unloaded every document open in NoteTab before I did the CTRL-D
              search and replace.

              What could be the problem?

              ROWEL
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
              > Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about
              PRO) but
              > not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use
              the
              > control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is
              > replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not
              be undone.
            • jaytee556
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                You could try using gawk on the file.

                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Rowel I. Lirag" <rowelx@c...>
                wrote:

                > I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
                > 25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
                > reports that I'm out of memory.
                >
                > Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular
                expression
                > (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading
                it
                > first?
                >
                > Many thanks in advance.
                >

                > ROWEL
              • Alan C.
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                  That's strange. That feature works on the disk files. It does not open the files in Notetab.
                  --

                  On a big file, it can be faster to not use the replace but instead to use the find command and use a loop. Find each item then handle the change for that one item, then go on (via repetitive loop) find next.

                  :repeat
                  find whatever
                  iferror end
                  replace getselection >> \t\1\t\2 IS
                  goto repeat
                  ; ----------------------

                  Oh, I just now see you are use of a tagged match. Hmm, if you use find and a loop, you'll have to deal with that.

                  And/or try Perl maybe if you want to do so.

                  The search disk or disk file feature should not caused you memory problem unless I'm mistaken.

                  Alan.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 12, 2004
                    Hi Rowel,

                    NoteTab's current Regular Expression engine does not do well with
                    long or complex RegExp. Also, using the /n new line expression
                    often ends with a Out of Memory. Use a perl engine as suggested,
                    shorten your expression into pieces doing a few passes, or use
                    NoteTab's Clip code instead to work around the problem.