running a clip on an external text file...

  • Rowel I. Lirag
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
      I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
      25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
      reports that I'm out of memory.

      Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular expression
      (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading it
      first?

      Many thanks in advance.

      ROWEL
    • Rowel I. Lirag

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
              Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about PRO) but
              not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use the
              control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is a
              replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not be undone.

              --
              ``

              Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

              Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
              If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
              and tell us what REALLY happened.
              ~~~~
            • Rowel I. Lirag
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                Tried that, I still ran out of memory.

                I'm looking for the expression ,\s+{[A-Z]+}\s+{[0-9]+}
                and replacing it with \t\1\t\2

                I've tested the above on a subset of the document and it works so I
                know it couldn't be the expressions.

                I unloaded every document open in NoteTab before I did the CTRL-D
                search and replace.

                What could be the problem?

                ROWEL
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
                > Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about
                PRO) but
                > not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use
                the
                > control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is
                > replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not
                be undone.
              • jaytee556
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                  You could try using gawk on the file.

                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Rowel I. Lirag" <rowelx@c...>
                  wrote:

                  > I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
                  > 25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
                  > reports that I'm out of memory.
                  >
                  > Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular
                  expression
                  > (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading
                  it
                  > first?
                  >
                  > Many thanks in advance.
                  >

                  > ROWEL
                • Alan C.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                    That's strange. That feature works on the disk files. It does not open the files in Notetab.
                    --

                    On a big file, it can be faster to not use the replace but instead to use the find command and use a loop. Find each item then handle the change for that one item, then go on (via repetitive loop) find next.

                    :repeat
                    find whatever
                    iferror end
                    replace getselection >> \t\1\t\2 IS
                    goto repeat
                    ; ----------------------

                    Oh, I just now see you are use of a tagged match. Hmm, if you use find and a loop, you'll have to deal with that.

                    And/or try Perl maybe if you want to do so.

                    The search disk or disk file feature should not caused you memory problem unless I'm mistaken.

                    Alan.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 12, 2004
                      Hi Rowel,

                      NoteTab's current Regular Expression engine does not do well with
                      long or complex RegExp. Also, using the /n new line expression
                      often ends with a Out of Memory. Use a perl engine as suggested,
                      shorten your expression into pieces doing a few passes, or use
                      NoteTab's Clip code instead to work around the problem.