running a clip on an external text file...

  • Rowel I. Lirag
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11 5:36 AM
      I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
      25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
      reports that I'm out of memory.

      Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular expression
      (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading it
      first?

      Many thanks in advance.

      ROWEL
    • Rowel I. Lirag

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11 6:09 AM
                Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about PRO) but
                not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use the
                control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is a
                replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not be undone.

                --
                ``

                Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
                If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
                and tell us what REALLY happened.
                ~~~~
              • Rowel I. Lirag
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11 7:43 AM
                  Tried that, I still ran out of memory.

                  I'm looking for the expression ,\s+{[A-Z]+}\s+{[0-9]+}
                  and replacing it with \t\1\t\2

                  I've tested the above on a subset of the document and it works so I
                  know it couldn't be the expressions.

                  I unloaded every document open in NoteTab before I did the CTRL-D
                  search and replace.

                  What could be the problem?

                  ROWEL
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
                  > Therer is a directory find in NoteTab standard, (not sure about
                  PRO) but
                  > not available in Lite. Click on the open NoteTab frame and use
                  the
                  > control+d keys simultaneously, the serach function opens, there is
                  > replace tab you can choose as. NOTE changes done this way can not
                  be undone.
                • jaytee556
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 11 10:53 AM
                    You could try using gawk on the file.

                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Rowel I. Lirag" <rowelx@c...>
                    wrote:

                    > I am trying to do a FIND/REPLACE using regular expressions on a
                    > 25,000 line document each line b/w 80 to 90 characters and NoteTab
                    > reports that I'm out of memory.
                    >
                    > Would it be possible to run a clip containing the regular
                    expression
                    > (that does the replace function) against a document w/out loading
                    it
                    > first?
                    >
                    > Many thanks in advance.
                    >

                    > ROWEL
                  • Alan C.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 11 11:50 PM
                      That's strange. That feature works on the disk files. It does not open the files in Notetab.
                      --

                      On a big file, it can be faster to not use the replace but instead to use the find command and use a loop. Find each item then handle the change for that one item, then go on (via repetitive loop) find next.

                      :repeat
                      find whatever
                      iferror end
                      replace getselection >> \t\1\t\2 IS
                      goto repeat
                      ; ----------------------

                      Oh, I just now see you are use of a tagged match. Hmm, if you use find and a loop, you'll have to deal with that.

                      And/or try Perl maybe if you want to do so.

                      The search disk or disk file feature should not caused you memory problem unless I'm mistaken.

                      Alan.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 12 9:26 AM
                        Hi Rowel,

                        NoteTab's current Regular Expression engine does not do well with
                        long or complex RegExp. Also, using the /n new line expression
                        often ends with a Out of Memory. Use a perl engine as suggested,
                        shorten your expression into pieces doing a few passes, or use
                        NoteTab's Clip code instead to work around the problem.