Re: Date Math

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Walter" <wwabbott@m...> wrote:
      > Does anyone already have functions to calculate a date N number of
      > days in the past or future?
      >
      > Or Calculate the number of days between two dates?

      If you haven't found your answer yet, you can manipulate the time and
      date using the combination of a free command line utility program
      called TimeMath.exe and a clip. The zipped file containing
      TimeMath.exe can be downloaded from: (it's a long URL, so watch out
      for yahoo inserted line breaks)

      http://gearbox.maem.umr.edu/batch/f_w_util/Frank_Westlake-
      Freeware.html

      Unzip TimeMath (the zipped file includes a help file) and put it
      where you want it to be. In my clip example below I have it stored as
      C:\bin\TimeMath.exe

      Then with a clip similar to the one below, you can calculate dates
      and times in numerous ways. This sample clip tells TimeMath to
      calculate the DATE/TIME/DAY OF WEEK of one week ago today. The
      results are first sent to a temp file which NoteTab reads and
      displays in a NoteTab ^!Info box.

      From that point using other clip commands you could parse the
      returned dates/times however you want to.

      John

      ; Begin Clip ====================================

      ; run timemath and send date parms to it
      ; timemath output will be sent to a temp
      ; file named: c:\timemath.txt

      ^!DOS "C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1 >c:\timemath.txt

      ; force notetab to wait till above is done
      ^!Wait

      ; open the file
      ^!Open "c:\timemath.txt"

      ; set var %results% to all text in file
      ^!Set %RESULTS%=^$GetText$

      ; close and discard file
      ^!Close Discard

      ; show date and time results in a NoteTab ^!Info box
      ^!Info ^%RESULTS%

      ; End Clip ======================================
    • melchior prisi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
        ----- on 05.06.2004 19:40 John Zeman wrote:
        (...)
        > ; run timemath and send date parms to it
        > ; timemath output will be sent to a temp
        > ; file named: c:\timemath.txt
        > ^!DOS "C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1 >c:\timemath.txt
        (...)

        I guess, you could just:

        ^!set %results%=^$getdosoutput("C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1")$

        .. so you wouldn't need a temp file.

        ---

        Another interesting command line tool
        for time calculations is Fdate91c

        Freeware from
        <http://www.simtel.net/product.php%5Bid%5D40615%5Bsekid%5D0%5BSiteID%5Dsimtel.net%5BSiteID%5Dsimtel.net>

        Regards,
        Melchior

        --
        http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
        http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, melchior prisi <mprisi@s...> wrote:
          > ----- on 05.06.2004 19:40 John Zeman wrote:
          > (...)
          > > ; run timemath and send date parms to it
          > > ; timemath output will be sent to a temp
          > > ; file named: c:\timemath.txt
          > > ^!DOS "C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1 >c:\timemath.txt
          > (...)
          >
          > I guess, you could just:
          >
          > ^!set %results%=^$getdosoutput("C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1")$
          >
          > .. so you wouldn't need a temp file.
          >
          > ---
          >
          > Another interesting command line tool
          > for time calculations is Fdate91c
          >
          > Freeware from
          > <http://www.simtel.net/product.php%5Bid%5D40615%5Bsekid%5D0%
          5BSiteID%5Dsimtel.net%5BSiteID%5Dsimtel.net>

          > Regards,
          > Melchior

          True enough melchior.

          I have to admit that I run all my command line utilities from actual
          command line scripts. I'd forgotten about ^$getdosoutput$ and how
          NoteTab can import command line results.

          By the way, when I went to the link you posted it returned a page not
          found error.

          John
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
            > By the way, when I went to the link you posted it returned a page
            not
            > found error.
            >
            > John

            Never mind, it works now.

            http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/40615.html

            John
          • melchior prisi
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
              Hi John
              ----- on 06.06.2004 01:23 John Zeman wrote:
              > By the way, when I went to the link you posted it returned a page not
              > found error.

              Here is another Link that should work:
              http://www.bookcase.com/library/software/msdos.util.batch.html

              fdate91c.zip is about in the middle down the page..

              Regards,
              Melchior

              --
              http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
              http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                I downloaded TimeMath but it only had the Timemath.exe and no help file.
                Does anyone have the help file?
                Thanks,
                Roy

                > > By the way, when I went to the link you posted it returned a page not
                > > found error.
                >
                > Here is another Link that should work:
                > http://www.bookcase.com/library/software/msdos.util.batch.html
                >
                > fdate91c.zip is about in the middle down the page..
                >

                > Regards,
                > Melchior
                >

                > --
                > http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
                > http://orp.alphazwirbel.net

              • John Zeman
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Herring" <roynancy@e...> wrote:
                  > I downloaded TimeMath but it only had the Timemath.exe and no help
                  file.
                  > Does anyone have the help file?
                  > Thanks,
                  > Roy

                  Like many command line programs, the help is built into the program.
                  You can get it by going to a command prompt (a DOS prompt) in the
                  directory the timemath program is stored in, and typing one of the
                  following:

                  To just see the help type:
                  Timemath /?

                  To output the help to a text file:
                  Timemath /? > timemath.txt

                  Then press ENTER after either of the above lines.