Date Math

  • Walter
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2004
      Does anyone already have functions to calculate a date N number of
      days in the past or future?

      Or Calculate the number of days between two dates?
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Walter" <wwabbott@m...> wrote:
        > Does anyone already have functions to calculate a date N number of
        > days in the past or future?
        >
        > Or Calculate the number of days between two dates?

        If you haven't found your answer yet, you can manipulate the time and
        date using the combination of a free command line utility program
        called TimeMath.exe and a clip. The zipped file containing
        TimeMath.exe can be downloaded from: (it's a long URL, so watch out
        for yahoo inserted line breaks)

        http://gearbox.maem.umr.edu/batch/f_w_util/Frank_Westlake-
        Freeware.html

        Unzip TimeMath (the zipped file includes a help file) and put it
        where you want it to be. In my clip example below I have it stored as
        C:\bin\TimeMath.exe

        Then with a clip similar to the one below, you can calculate dates
        and times in numerous ways. This sample clip tells TimeMath to
        calculate the DATE/TIME/DAY OF WEEK of one week ago today. The
        results are first sent to a temp file which NoteTab reads and
        displays in a NoteTab ^!Info box.

        From that point using other clip commands you could parse the
        returned dates/times however you want to.

        John

        ; Begin Clip ====================================

        ; run timemath and send date parms to it
        ; timemath output will be sent to a temp
        ; file named: c:\timemath.txt

        ^!DOS "C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1 >c:\timemath.txt

        ; force notetab to wait till above is done
        ^!Wait

        ; open the file
        ^!Open "c:\timemath.txt"

        ; set var %results% to all text in file
        ^!Set %RESULTS%=^$GetText$

        ; close and discard file
        ^!Close Discard

        ; show date and time results in a NoteTab ^!Info box
        ^!Info ^%RESULTS%

        ; End Clip ======================================
      • melchior prisi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
          ----- on 05.06.2004 19:40 John Zeman wrote:
          (...)
          > ; run timemath and send date parms to it
          > ; timemath output will be sent to a temp
          > ; file named: c:\timemath.txt
          > ^!DOS "C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1 >c:\timemath.txt
          (...)

          I guess, you could just:

          ^!set %results%=^$getdosoutput("C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1")$

          .. so you wouldn't need a temp file.

          ---

          Another interesting command line tool
          for time calculations is Fdate91c

          Freeware from
          <http://www.simtel.net/product.php%5Bid%5D40615%5Bsekid%5D0%5BSiteID%5Dsimtel.net%5BSiteID%5Dsimtel.net>

          Regards,
          Melchior

          --
          http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
          http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, melchior prisi <mprisi@s...> wrote:
            > ----- on 05.06.2004 19:40 John Zeman wrote:
            > (...)
            > > ; run timemath and send date parms to it
            > > ; timemath output will be sent to a temp
            > > ; file named: c:\timemath.txt
            > > ^!DOS "C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1 >c:\timemath.txt
            > (...)
            >
            > I guess, you could just:
            >
            > ^!set %results%=^$getdosoutput("C:\bin\TimeMath.exe" week-1")$
            >
            > .. so you wouldn't need a temp file.
            >
            > ---
            >
            > Another interesting command line tool
            > for time calculations is Fdate91c
            >
            > Freeware from
            > <http://www.simtel.net/product.php%5Bid%5D40615%5Bsekid%5D0%
            5BSiteID%5Dsimtel.net%5BSiteID%5Dsimtel.net>

            > Regards,
            > Melchior

            True enough melchior.

            I have to admit that I run all my command line utilities from actual
            command line scripts. I'd forgotten about ^$getdosoutput$ and how
            NoteTab can import command line results.

            By the way, when I went to the link you posted it returned a page not
            found error.

            John
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
              > By the way, when I went to the link you posted it returned a page
              not
              > found error.
              >
              > John

              Never mind, it works now.

              http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/40615.html

              John
            • melchior prisi
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
                Hi John
                ----- on 06.06.2004 01:23 John Zeman wrote:
                > By the way, when I went to the link you posted it returned a page not
                > found error.

                Here is another Link that should work:
                http://www.bookcase.com/library/software/msdos.util.batch.html

                fdate91c.zip is about in the middle down the page..

                Regards,
                Melchior

                --
                http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
                http://orp.alphazwirbel.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                  I downloaded TimeMath but it only had the Timemath.exe and no help file.
                  Does anyone have the help file?
                  Thanks,
                  Roy

                  > > By the way, when I went to the link you posted it returned a page not
                  > > found error.
                  >
                  > Here is another Link that should work:
                  > http://www.bookcase.com/library/software/msdos.util.batch.html
                  >
                  > fdate91c.zip is about in the middle down the page..
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  > Melchior
                  >

                  > --
                  > http://loc.alphazwirbel.net
                  > http://orp.alphazwirbel.net

                • John Zeman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Herring" <roynancy@e...> wrote:
                    > I downloaded TimeMath but it only had the Timemath.exe and no help
                    file.
                    > Does anyone have the help file?
                    > Thanks,
                    > Roy

                    Like many command line programs, the help is built into the program.
                    You can get it by going to a command prompt (a DOS prompt) in the
                    directory the timemath program is stored in, and typing one of the
                    following:

                    To just see the help type:
                    Timemath /?

                    To output the help to a text file:
                    Timemath /? > timemath.txt

                    Then press ENTER after either of the above lines.