Re: [Clip] Alternative to ^!Delay

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11 1:32 PM
      Hi Jody and Kevin,

      At 01:38 PM 5/11/04 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hi KRW,
      >
      >>I was wondering what the alternatives Note Tab provides to the
      >>^!Delay command. I am getting mixed results with the ^!Delay
      >>option because of the varying speed the clip runs.
      >
      >If you are using the ^!Keyboard command within NoteTab, you want
      >to switch to the ^!Menu command instead. That should help a lot.

      You cannot always use the ^!Menu or ^!Toolbar commands in place of the
      ^!Keyboard command. In the case of the text statistics clip that I wrote
      either:

      ^!Toolbar Text Statistics

      or

      ^!Menu Tools/Text Statistics

      Will cause the text statistics dialog window to open. Now I want to select
      "More" at the bottom of that dialog window but I want the clip to do it so
      I enter:

      ^!Keyboard M

      Just after the command to open it. But the clip quits running just as soon
      as the text statistics dialog opens. If I Close the window, the clip
      resumes and types an "M" into the currently open document which is not
      exactly what I wanted. So I use a couple os ^!Keyboard sequences:

      ^!Keyboard Alt+T S M
      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+A Alt+C &200 Shift+Ctrl+V Ctrl+Home

      Which opens the dialog and shows the "More" panel but quits and does not do
      the second sequence until I dismiss the dialog which againg runs the
      keystrokes on the open document :-b

      Ok, so now I add to the first keystroke sequence:

      ^!Keyboard Alt+T S M &200 Ctrl+A Alt+C

      This opens the dialog, presses the "More" button, copies the statistics to
      the clipboard, and finally closes the dialog. Good so far. Now right here
      I got lazy. I could have used other commands to finish up but I used the
      Keystroke seqence in stead. Had I used other commands, it would have
      looked like this:

      ^!Keyboard Alt+T S M &200 Ctrl+A Alt+C
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ^!Jump 1

      Instead of like this:

      ^!Keyboard Alt+T S M &200 Ctrl+A Alt+C &200 Shift+Ctrl+V Ctrl+Home

      Which the point is that sometimes there is no other way than to use the
      ^!Keyboard command.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Hugo Paulissen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11 1:55 PM

        > Which the point is that sometimes there is no other way than to use the
        > ^!Keyboard command.

        Larry,

        I've noticed this before, some of the "additional dialog-windows" (reformat
        lines being one of them, and there are others ...) just do not accept any
        input, unless you've opened the window itself by means of ^!Keyboard...

        If you're careful with the timing you can write nice "macro's" using
        ^!Keyboard.

        Hugo
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11 2:44 PM
          Hi Hugo,

          At 10:55 PM 5/11/04 +0200, you wrote:

          >Larry,
          >
          >I've noticed this before, some of the "additional dialog-windows" (reformat
          >lines being one of them, and there are others ...) just do not accept any
          >input, unless you've opened the window itself by means of ^!Keyboard...
          >
          >If you're careful with the timing you can write nice "macro's" using
          >^!Keyboard.

          True enough. You can also be fooled into using ^!Keyboard when you don't
          have to. NoteTab has so very many commands and functions you can end up
          thinking that you need a dialog box when there is a command or function
          that will do the same thing. Example, Modify/Lines/Reformat Lines would
          certainly appear to be one dialog that requires the ^!Keyboard command but
          no - Eric has provided the command below:

          ^$StrFormat("Str";LeftMargin;TextWidth;Justify)$
          Returns the "Str" string in specified format. LeftMargin determines the
          number of blank spaces to insert between the left margin and the text;
          TextWidth defines the maximum width of the text in each line; Justify is
          either True or False and determines if the text is left and right
          justified. Prior to version 4.8, this command was only available in the
          commercial and trial versions of NoteTab.

          Which effectively does the same job in a clip.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14 5:37 AM
            At 04:44 PM 5/11/04 -0500, Larry Thomas wrote:

            >Hi Hugo,
            >
            >^$StrFormat("Str";LeftMargin;TextWidth;Justify)$
            >Returns the "Str" string in specified format. LeftMargin determines the
            >number of blank spaces to insert between the left margin and the text;
            >TextWidth defines the maximum width of the text in each line; Justify is
            >either True or False and determines if the text is left and right
            >justified. Prior to version 4.8, this command was only available in the
            >commercial and trial versions of NoteTab.
            >
            >Which effectively does the same job in a clip.

            I see that I made a mistake here. The ^$StrFunction$ codes work the same
            as the built in NoteTab Pro features (StrFormat, StrSort, etc) UNLESS there
            is clipcode included in the text being formatted, sorted, etc. Then you
            must use the feature rather than the clip code. Example:

            If you have the cursor positioning code (^&) anywhere in the text being
            processed, the normal feature will handle it just fine but the
            ^$StrFunction$ requires that the text be preselected before running and
            every ^& in the selection will be replaced by the selection in the output
            which will cause the function to fail.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê