Re: [Clip] word count

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2004
      hrs wrote:

      >Ed,

      >If I understand what you said you are changing tabs to something else
      before you run the clip.

      >Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.

      >The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
      too long.

      >That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
      ^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.

      I would like to put the tabs back in place, I set them larger. But now I do not see a way to reset them to the original settings. I will try the clip line near the top and see what happens.

    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 18 , May 3, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        At 11:36 PM 5/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
        >before you run the clip.
        >
        >>Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.
        >
        >>The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
        >too long.
        >
        >>That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
        >^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.
        >
        >I would like to put the tabs back in place, I set them larger. But now I
        do not see a way to reset them to the original settings. I will try the
        clip line near the top and see what happens.

        There is another way with clips using ^!Keyboard commands to set and reset
        tabs. You do this manually from the menu bar on the current document only
        by selecting Document/Properties and then setting the tab size from there.
        The clip commands would be:

        ______[Copy below this line]_______
        H="Set Tab Size to 35"
        ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S #35# Enter

        H="Restore Default Tab Size"
        ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S Delete Enter
        _____[Copy above this line]______
        | right click over the clipbook |
        | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

        You might have to change the &100 delay to a different number depending on
        your computer's setup speed.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2004
          Hi Ed,

          This clip combines with John's clip and it does the whole thing. It runs
          text statistics on the current open document. It copies the advanced page
          to the clipboard and then pastes it to a new document. It then runs John's
          replace clip and deletes the percent column. It then sets the tab size to
          35 and replaces the tabs with spaces. And finally, it restores the tab
          size to the default setting.

          You can modify it to suit your tastes.

          ______[Copy below this line]_______
          H="Get Text Statistics"
          ;lrt@... e¿ê
          ;05/03/2004, 06:56:39 AM
          ^!Keyboard Alt+T S M Ctrl+A &200 Alt+C &200 Shift+Ctrl+V Ctrl+Home
          ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
          ;
          ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S #35# Enter &200 Alt+M S B Ctrl+Home &200
          Alt+D P &100 Alt+S Delete Enter
          ;
          _____[Copy above this line]______
          | right click over the clipbook |
          | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

          Be sure to restore the long line in the clip before you try to use it.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2004
            Works exactly as advertised. Great.

            Now I have a question. The second line is exactly the same as the first clip.
            ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
            Does this mean to replace the order of the words in the list with the ones used most, the words used second most, etc. and that is why the first [0-9]? IF so what does {^.*} mean or I guess what action is perfomed by this. Then we have \t . what does this do for us? That is followed by the first [0-9]. What does the +\. do? then we have the second [0-9]+S Altogether at this point we have this equation.
            ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
            With the part after "Replace space" enclosed in quotation marks. This followed with >> "\1" AIWRS . Would you explain how this complete clip works in detail? Or is this too rudimentary? I have been pouring over the clip help for several weeks and so far it makes little or no sense to me. How did you know to use "Replace" instead of "List" as in "list the following words in this order etc."? Or why not "Get" the words listed most often in numerical order, etc.? I would like to see a beginners clip class in which we began with writing some simple clips and branch off into the student writing a few simple clips and then advance to the next level with using several different commands, gradually increasing in difficult with an instructor to catch our mistakes and show us why we made those errors.

            I see many clips with multiple lines beginning ^!Set. What are we setting in those lines. Why use Set? If this is too basic to be answered here that is OK. I understand I am just trying to learn the ABC's and asking a Doctor of English to teach me the ABC's. :-) After all you cannot build a word until you know the ABC's and you cannot make a sentence until you have a vocabulary of words and neither can I write much of a clip until I understand what each symbol means and what it does and then build a vocabulary of clip parts and actions. Does this make any sense at all?
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2004
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
              > Works exactly as advertised. Great.
              >
              > Now I have a question. The second line is exactly the same as the
              first clip.
              > ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
              > Does this mean to replace the order of the words in the list with
              the ones used most, the words used second most, etc. and that is why
              the first [0-9]? IF so what does {^.*} mean or I guess what action
              is perfomed by this. Then we have \t . what does this do for us? That
              is followed by the first [0-9]. What does the +\. do? then we have
              the second [0-9]+S Altogether at this point we have this equation.
              > ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
              > With the part after "Replace space" enclosed in quotation marks.
              This followed with >> "\1" AIWRS . Would you explain how this
              complete clip works in detail?

              I'll answer the part on the ^!Replace line Ed since I'm the one who
              wrote it. If what I'm about to say here doesn't help anyone, it
              ought to at least cure insomnia. <Grin>

              "^!Replace" is a NoteTab clip command where NoteTab searches for some
              text and then replaces that text with something else. To resolve
              your problem of wanting to eliminate the percentages, I used a
              regular expression that I'll further explain below. Regular
              expressions are not unique to NoteTab, they are used in a great
              number of programs. A normal find and replace operation is limited
              to specific text and wildcards, regular expressions do that and so
              much more. The only downer to RegExp is at first, it seems like
              total gobbledygook. For me it took patience and a lot of time to
              gradually figure them out.

              Here's how the following ^!Replace clip works

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

              ^!Replace "this" >> "that" AIWRS
              Start the NoteTab clip command to find "this" and replace it
              with "that" in a document. What is in between each set of double
              quotes represents what is searched for and what the replacement text
              is. The AIWRS represent the ^!Replace options and their definitions
              can be found in the clip help section.
              A = Replaces all occurrences of the found text in the document.
              I = Ignore character case (I really didn't need it in this situation).
              W = Searches the entire document.
              R = Means the ^!Replace criteria is a regular expression
              S = Silent, just do the replacing without any messages.

              Ok, now to explain how the regular expression part of the clip line
              works.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

              ^!Replace "
              In a replace operation, the first " marks the beginning of where the
              searched for text will be defined.

              ^!Replace "{
              The { marks the beginning of what is called a tagged match. A tagged
              match is text found during the search, that is to be used in the
              replacement. In other words what is in between a set of { } brackets
              can be referred to in the replacement operation by using \1. If
              there are two sets of { } brackets, then \2 represents what is found
              in between the second set of brackets. I think you can have up to 9
              sets of brackets.

              ^!Replace "{^
              The ^ means "starting at the very beginning of each line".

              ^!Replace "{^.
              The . means to match ANY single character. A number, an alphabet
              letter, punctuation, a space, a tab, anything at all.

              ^!Replace "{^.*
              The * means to match the character that precedes the * 0 or more
              times. So the combination of ^.* means to match anything at all that
              starts at the beginning of each line.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}
              Ok, now we have the closing } which ends the tagged match. If this
              were the only criteria the ^!Replace command was looking for,
              everything in the document would be replaced. Which isn't useful so
              we need to add more to it.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t
              \t represents a tab.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]
              [0-9] represents any one single digit. Anything from 0 through 9.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+
              The + represents 1 or more matches of the one thing that precedes
              it. Since 0-9 is enclosed in between a set of [ ] that entire [0-9]
              represents one thing, a single digit.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.
              The \. represents a period. Remember that normally a period has a
              special meaning in regular expressions so if you want to actually
              search for a period, you have to escape the period with a \

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+
              Like the previous [0-9]+ the second [0-9]+ simply means to find one
              or more digits grouped together.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$
              The $ represents the end of a line (where someone has hit ENTER on
              their keyboard).

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
              The second " represents the end of the "find this" section of the ^!
              Replace command.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >>
              The >> tells NoteTab that what follows it will be the text to use to
              replace the text that was found.

              ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1"
              And "\1" represents the text that was found in between the set of { }

              So here is how the above clip works.
              Starting at the beginning of each line in the document, search for
              anything at all as long as it ends the line with a TAB followed by
              one or more numbers, followed by a period, followed by one or more
              numbers, and then finally the end of the line. Since we wanted to
              keep everything but the last TAB, the last numbers, etc, we used the
              curly brackets to collect the other text so it could be used as the
              replacement text.

              John
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                At 10:59 AM 5/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
                >Works exactly as advertised. Great.
                >
                >I see many clips with multiple lines beginning ^!Set. What are we setting
                in those lines. Why use Set? If this is too basic to be answered here
                that is OK. I understand I am just trying to learn the ABC's and asking a
                Doctor of English to teach me the ABC's. :-) After all you cannot build a
                word until you know the ABC's and you cannot make a sentence until you have
                a vocabulary of words and neither can I write much of a clip until I
                understand what each symbol means and what it does and then build a
                vocabulary of clip parts and actions. Does this make any sense at all?
                >Ed

                You are seeing the clip storing information in a named memory location
                called a variable. The informaation can be a value (any number) or a
                string (a group of characters). A number can be treated either as a value
                as in 2 + 2 or as a string as in "2 + 2" which is actually five characters
                - a two folloed by a space followed by a + followed by a space followed by
                a two.

                You can define any variable by using the ^!Set Command with the variable
                name you choose enclosed in percent characters. Example:

                ^!Set %Name%=Ed Brown

                Creates a variable named %Name% which contains the string "Ed Brown". To
                use the variable in a clip you just place and circumflex (^) in front of
                it. Example:

                ^%Name%

                Placed on a line by itself will insert the string "Ed Brown" into the
                currently open document at the current cursor position.

                You can learn all about variables by going to the main help file. Go to
                the menu bar and select Help/Help Topics.

                FOR VARIABLES:
                Go down the left panel to "Reference Information" and under that go to
                "Tools" and under that go to "Editor Clipbook" and under that go to "Clip
                Programming". On the right panel go down the page until you come to "Clip
                Language - Variables" and click on it. This will give you all of the
                information on variables and how to use them.

                FOR REGULAR EXPRESSIONS:
                Go down the left panel to "Reference Information" and under that go to
                "Dialog Boxes" and underr that go to "Regular Expressions" and you will see
                all of the information about how regular expressions work.

                Regards,

                Larry
                lrt@... e¿ê