Re: [Clip] word count

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2004
      John,
      The clip works just as it should. And thanks to Larry, I have the tabs set right and everything falls into place just as I wanted.
      Thanks guys,
      Ed
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2004
        However, when I run the clip from hsavage on the large list I get a syntax error in line 11. And I get this if I use the Text Statistics and then Fromat Statistics even after I changed the tabs.
        WordFrequency

        gegenschein4
        bract4
        .4
        shun3
        shield3
        rodney3
        retrograde3
        placater3
        phantom3
        over3
        northeast3
        noontime3
        mutt3
        mccauley3
        l'vov3
        kowloon3
        incondensable3
        hurst3

        While the shorter clip which I named Text Stats gives me this or similar, the email does not reproduce it as good as it really is .
        Word Frequency %

        gegenschein 4
        bract 4
        rodney 3
        retrograde 3
        placater 3
        phantom 3

        So while I do not know enough to find it I do believe that there must be an error in syntax in the second clip. I see possiblities in both. I am examining them to try to learn a little more about writing clips. Thanks guys. I do appreciate all the work that you have done in my behalf.
        Ed
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2004
          Ed Brown wrote:

          > However, when I run the clip from hsavage on
          > the large list I get a syntax error in line 11.
          > And I get this if I use the Text Statistics and
          > then Format Statistics even after I changed the tabs.

          > WordFrequency
          >
          > gegenschein4
          > bract4
          > .4

          Ed,

          If I understand what you said you are changing tabs to something else
          before you run the clip.

          Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.

          The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
          too long.

          That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
          ^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.

          hrs
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2004
            hrs wrote:

            >Ed,

            >If I understand what you said you are changing tabs to something else
            before you run the clip.

            >Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.

            >The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
            too long.

            >That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
            ^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.

            I would like to put the tabs back in place, I set them larger. But now I do not see a way to reset them to the original settings. I will try the clip line near the top and see what happens.

          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2004
              Hi Ed,

              At 11:36 PM 5/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
              >before you run the clip.
              >
              >>Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.
              >
              >>The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
              >too long.
              >
              >>That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
              >^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.
              >
              >I would like to put the tabs back in place, I set them larger. But now I
              do not see a way to reset them to the original settings. I will try the
              clip line near the top and see what happens.

              There is another way with clips using ^!Keyboard commands to set and reset
              tabs. You do this manually from the menu bar on the current document only
              by selecting Document/Properties and then setting the tab size from there.
              The clip commands would be:

              ______[Copy below this line]_______
              H="Set Tab Size to 35"
              ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S #35# Enter

              H="Restore Default Tab Size"
              ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S Delete Enter
              _____[Copy above this line]______
              | right click over the clipbook |
              | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

              You might have to change the &100 delay to a different number depending on
              your computer's setup speed.

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                Hi Ed,

                This clip combines with John's clip and it does the whole thing. It runs
                text statistics on the current open document. It copies the advanced page
                to the clipboard and then pastes it to a new document. It then runs John's
                replace clip and deletes the percent column. It then sets the tab size to
                35 and replaces the tabs with spaces. And finally, it restores the tab
                size to the default setting.

                You can modify it to suit your tastes.

                ______[Copy below this line]_______
                H="Get Text Statistics"
                ;lrt@... e¿ê
                ;05/03/2004, 06:56:39 AM
                ^!Keyboard Alt+T S M Ctrl+A &200 Alt+C &200 Shift+Ctrl+V Ctrl+Home
                ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                ;
                ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S #35# Enter &200 Alt+M S B Ctrl+Home &200
                Alt+D P &100 Alt+S Delete Enter
                ;
                _____[Copy above this line]______
                | right click over the clipbook |
                | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

                Be sure to restore the long line in the clip before you try to use it.

                Regards,

                Larry
                lrt@... e¿ê
              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                  Works exactly as advertised. Great.

                  Now I have a question. The second line is exactly the same as the first clip.
                  ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                  Does this mean to replace the order of the words in the list with the ones used most, the words used second most, etc. and that is why the first [0-9]? IF so what does {^.*} mean or I guess what action is perfomed by this. Then we have \t . what does this do for us? That is followed by the first [0-9]. What does the +\. do? then we have the second [0-9]+S Altogether at this point we have this equation.
                  ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                  With the part after "Replace space" enclosed in quotation marks. This followed with >> "\1" AIWRS . Would you explain how this complete clip works in detail? Or is this too rudimentary? I have been pouring over the clip help for several weeks and so far it makes little or no sense to me. How did you know to use "Replace" instead of "List" as in "list the following words in this order etc."? Or why not "Get" the words listed most often in numerical order, etc.? I would like to see a beginners clip class in which we began with writing some simple clips and branch off into the student writing a few simple clips and then advance to the next level with using several different commands, gradually increasing in difficult with an instructor to catch our mistakes and show us why we made those errors.

                  I see many clips with multiple lines beginning ^!Set. What are we setting in those lines. Why use Set? If this is too basic to be answered here that is OK. I understand I am just trying to learn the ABC's and asking a Doctor of English to teach me the ABC's. :-) After all you cannot build a word until you know the ABC's and you cannot make a sentence until you have a vocabulary of words and neither can I write much of a clip until I understand what each symbol means and what it does and then build a vocabulary of clip parts and actions. Does this make any sense at all?
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • John Zeman
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
                    > Works exactly as advertised. Great.
                    >
                    > Now I have a question. The second line is exactly the same as the
                    first clip.
                    > ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                    > Does this mean to replace the order of the words in the list with
                    the ones used most, the words used second most, etc. and that is why
                    the first [0-9]? IF so what does {^.*} mean or I guess what action
                    is perfomed by this. Then we have \t . what does this do for us? That
                    is followed by the first [0-9]. What does the +\. do? then we have
                    the second [0-9]+S Altogether at this point we have this equation.
                    > ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                    > With the part after "Replace space" enclosed in quotation marks.
                    This followed with >> "\1" AIWRS . Would you explain how this
                    complete clip works in detail?

                    I'll answer the part on the ^!Replace line Ed since I'm the one who
                    wrote it. If what I'm about to say here doesn't help anyone, it
                    ought to at least cure insomnia. <Grin>

                    "^!Replace" is a NoteTab clip command where NoteTab searches for some
                    text and then replaces that text with something else. To resolve
                    your problem of wanting to eliminate the percentages, I used a
                    regular expression that I'll further explain below. Regular
                    expressions are not unique to NoteTab, they are used in a great
                    number of programs. A normal find and replace operation is limited
                    to specific text and wildcards, regular expressions do that and so
                    much more. The only downer to RegExp is at first, it seems like
                    total gobbledygook. For me it took patience and a lot of time to
                    gradually figure them out.

                    Here's how the following ^!Replace clip works

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

                    ^!Replace "this" >> "that" AIWRS
                    Start the NoteTab clip command to find "this" and replace it
                    with "that" in a document. What is in between each set of double
                    quotes represents what is searched for and what the replacement text
                    is. The AIWRS represent the ^!Replace options and their definitions
                    can be found in the clip help section.
                    A = Replaces all occurrences of the found text in the document.
                    I = Ignore character case (I really didn't need it in this situation).
                    W = Searches the entire document.
                    R = Means the ^!Replace criteria is a regular expression
                    S = Silent, just do the replacing without any messages.

                    Ok, now to explain how the regular expression part of the clip line
                    works.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

                    ^!Replace "
                    In a replace operation, the first " marks the beginning of where the
                    searched for text will be defined.

                    ^!Replace "{
                    The { marks the beginning of what is called a tagged match. A tagged
                    match is text found during the search, that is to be used in the
                    replacement. In other words what is in between a set of { } brackets
                    can be referred to in the replacement operation by using \1. If
                    there are two sets of { } brackets, then \2 represents what is found
                    in between the second set of brackets. I think you can have up to 9
                    sets of brackets.

                    ^!Replace "{^
                    The ^ means "starting at the very beginning of each line".

                    ^!Replace "{^.
                    The . means to match ANY single character. A number, an alphabet
                    letter, punctuation, a space, a tab, anything at all.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*
                    The * means to match the character that precedes the * 0 or more
                    times. So the combination of ^.* means to match anything at all that
                    starts at the beginning of each line.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}
                    Ok, now we have the closing } which ends the tagged match. If this
                    were the only criteria the ^!Replace command was looking for,
                    everything in the document would be replaced. Which isn't useful so
                    we need to add more to it.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t
                    \t represents a tab.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]
                    [0-9] represents any one single digit. Anything from 0 through 9.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+
                    The + represents 1 or more matches of the one thing that precedes
                    it. Since 0-9 is enclosed in between a set of [ ] that entire [0-9]
                    represents one thing, a single digit.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.
                    The \. represents a period. Remember that normally a period has a
                    special meaning in regular expressions so if you want to actually
                    search for a period, you have to escape the period with a \

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+
                    Like the previous [0-9]+ the second [0-9]+ simply means to find one
                    or more digits grouped together.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$
                    The $ represents the end of a line (where someone has hit ENTER on
                    their keyboard).

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                    The second " represents the end of the "find this" section of the ^!
                    Replace command.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >>
                    The >> tells NoteTab that what follows it will be the text to use to
                    replace the text that was found.

                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1"
                    And "\1" represents the text that was found in between the set of { }

                    So here is how the above clip works.
                    Starting at the beginning of each line in the document, search for
                    anything at all as long as it ends the line with a TAB followed by
                    one or more numbers, followed by a period, followed by one or more
                    numbers, and then finally the end of the line. Since we wanted to
                    keep everything but the last TAB, the last numbers, etc, we used the
                    curly brackets to collect the other text so it could be used as the
                    replacement text.

                    John
                  • Larry Thomas
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                      At 10:59 AM 5/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Works exactly as advertised. Great.
                      >
                      >I see many clips with multiple lines beginning ^!Set. What are we setting
                      in those lines. Why use Set? If this is too basic to be answered here
                      that is OK. I understand I am just trying to learn the ABC's and asking a
                      Doctor of English to teach me the ABC's. :-) After all you cannot build a
                      word until you know the ABC's and you cannot make a sentence until you have
                      a vocabulary of words and neither can I write much of a clip until I
                      understand what each symbol means and what it does and then build a
                      vocabulary of clip parts and actions. Does this make any sense at all?
                      >Ed

                      You are seeing the clip storing information in a named memory location
                      called a variable. The informaation can be a value (any number) or a
                      string (a group of characters). A number can be treated either as a value
                      as in 2 + 2 or as a string as in "2 + 2" which is actually five characters
                      - a two folloed by a space followed by a + followed by a space followed by
                      a two.

                      You can define any variable by using the ^!Set Command with the variable
                      name you choose enclosed in percent characters. Example:

                      ^!Set %Name%=Ed Brown

                      Creates a variable named %Name% which contains the string "Ed Brown". To
                      use the variable in a clip you just place and circumflex (^) in front of
                      it. Example:

                      ^%Name%

                      Placed on a line by itself will insert the string "Ed Brown" into the
                      currently open document at the current cursor position.

                      You can learn all about variables by going to the main help file. Go to
                      the menu bar and select Help/Help Topics.

                      FOR VARIABLES:
                      Go down the left panel to "Reference Information" and under that go to
                      "Tools" and under that go to "Editor Clipbook" and under that go to "Clip
                      Programming". On the right panel go down the page until you come to "Clip
                      Language - Variables" and click on it. This will give you all of the
                      information on variables and how to use them.

                      FOR REGULAR EXPRESSIONS:
                      Go down the left panel to "Reference Information" and under that go to
                      "Dialog Boxes" and underr that go to "Regular Expressions" and you will see
                      all of the information about how regular expressions work.

                      Regards,

                      Larry
                      lrt@... e¿ê