Re: [Clip] word count

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2004
      Hi Ed,

      At 08:03 AM 5/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
      > John,
      > Thanks, I did not know about the right click. It shows enough of what I
      want to be able to past and copy it to a separate document. Now if there
      was only away to get rid of the % column and to make the print larger in
      the stats window.
      > When I try to paste and copy the percent column also appears in part in
      the I get the following mish mash.
      > Word Frequency %
      >
      > gegenschein 4 0.24
      > bract 4 0.24
      > shun 3 0.18
      > shield 3 0.18
      > rodney 3 0.18
      > retrograde 3 0.18
      > placater 3 0.18
      > phantom 3 0.18
      > over 3 0.18
      > northeast 3 0.18
      > noontime 3 0.18
      > mutt 3 0.18
      > mccauley 3 0.18
      > l'vov 3 0.18
      >
      > I would like to have them fall into even columns and the percent column
      is not necessary. This is not necessarily the email, this is the way they
      appear when copied and pasted. Otherwise this program does so many things
      it is hard to know about each of them. I wish someone would publish a book
      detailing all the things it will do and how to them. Searching in the help
      would probably produce it but most of the time I do not know what to ask
      for? Thanks again.
      > Ed

      In addition to John's clip, you should also know that the reason you see
      such a mish mash is because the columns are separated by real tabs and the
      tab setting is too small for some of the longer words in the list to fit in
      the column they belong. So they push into the next column and the
      subseqent tabs push out farther to the right and make everything misaligned
      instead of neat columns. Go to the menu bar and select View/Options and
      then the Documents tab. There you go to the box labeled Tab Size and
      temporarily set your tab size to a larger size... oh say 30 or 35 and then
      your columns will spread out and form into evenly spaced columns. Do this
      after you run John's clip to get rid of the percent column.

      Now adjust the tab size so that the columns look the way you want all the
      way down the page. When you are satisfied with the way it looks you can
      press Ctrl+A to highlight all of the text and then go to the menu bar and
      select Modify/Spaces/Tabs to Spaces to convert all of the tabs in the
      document to spaces which will fix the columns in place for you. Then you
      can go back to the Documents tab in Options and delete the temporary tab
      size to return your settings to the default and click ok.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2004
        Ed Brown wrote:

        > John,
        > Thanks, I did not know about the right click.
        > When I try to paste and copy the percent column also
        > appears in part in the I get the following mish mash.
        >
        > Word Frequency %
        >
        > gegenschein 4 0.24
        > bract 4 0.24
        > shun 3 0.18
        > shield 3 0.18
        > rodney 3 0.18
        > retrograde 3 0.18
        > placater 3 0.18
        > phantom 3 0.18
        > over 3 0.18
        > northeast 3 0.18
        > noontime 3 0.18
        > mutt 3 0.18
        > mccauley 3 0.18
        > l'vov 3 0.18
        >
        > I would like to have them fall into even columns and
        > the percent column is not necessary.
        > Ed

        Ed,

        Would a list similar to this;

        Word Frequency

        gegenschein 4

        bract 4

        shun 3

        shield 3

        rodney 3

        retrograde 3

        placater 3

        phantom 3

        over 3

        northeast 3

        noontime 3

        mutt 3

        mccauley 3

        l'vov 3

        be suitable.

        If so this clip will help and need very few corrections.

        Just copy and paste from the Text Statistics window to a blank document
        and insure there is a blank line at the bottom. With that new document
        focused run this clip. I works good for me with almost no trouble. In
        the fill variable the space is a non-breaking space.

        The aligned columns above will be single-line spaced in NoteTab, this
        result is due to the email client.

        H="Format Statistics"
        ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
        ^!SetDebug 0
        ^!Replace ^ >> ¤ TWSA
        ^!Jump 1
        :LOOP
        ^!Select EOL
        ^!Replace {.*}\t{.*}\t{.*} >> \1Ø\2 TIHRS
        ^!Select BOL
        ^!SetCode %line%=^$GetSelection$
        ^!Set %size%=^$StrSize(^%line%)$
        ^!Set %fill%="^$StrFill(" ";^$Calc(40-^%size%)$)$"
        ^!Replace Ø >> ^%fill% TIHS
        ^!Jump +1
        ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ NEXT ELSE LOOP
        ^!Replace ¤ >> ^ TWSA

        hrs
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2004
          John,
          The clip works just as it should. And thanks to Larry, I have the tabs set right and everything falls into place just as I wanted.
          Thanks guys,
          Ed
          > Thanks, I did not know about the right click. It shows enough of
          what I want to be able to past and copy it to a separate document.
          Now if there was only away to get rid of the % column and to make
          the print larger in the stats window.
          > When I try to paste and copy the percent column also appears in
          part in the I get the following mish mash.
          > Word Frequency %
          >
          > gegenschein 4 0.24
          > bract 4 0.24
          > shun 3 0.18
          > shield 3 0.18
          > rodney 3 0.18
          > retrograde 3 0.18
          > placater 3 0.18
          > phantom 3 0.18
          > over 3 0.18
          > northeast 3 0.18
          > noontime 3 0.18
          > mutt 3 0.18
          > mccauley 3 0.18
          > l'vov 3 0.18
          >
          > I would like to have them fall into even columns and the percent
          column is not necessary.

          This hasn't been tested much Ed, but try this clip.

          But before you do, first have the document open you want the stats
          for, get the text statistics as you have been, press the MORE button
          as you have done, then right click and sort the list the way you
          want. Then right click again and select "Save All" and save
          the "words.txt" file. Next open that "words.txt" file in NoteTab and
          run the following clip. On my machine it removes the percentages.

          If that does what you want, you could continue modifying the clip to
          lay the remaining text out the way you want it to look.

          John

          ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2004
            However, when I run the clip from hsavage on the large list I get a syntax error in line 11. And I get this if I use the Text Statistics and then Fromat Statistics even after I changed the tabs.
            WordFrequency

            gegenschein4
            bract4
            .4
            shun3
            shield3
            rodney3
            retrograde3
            placater3
            phantom3
            over3
            northeast3
            noontime3
            mutt3
            mccauley3
            l'vov3
            kowloon3
            incondensable3
            hurst3

            While the shorter clip which I named Text Stats gives me this or similar, the email does not reproduce it as good as it really is .
            Word Frequency %

            gegenschein 4
            bract 4
            rodney 3
            retrograde 3
            placater 3
            phantom 3

            So while I do not know enough to find it I do believe that there must be an error in syntax in the second clip. I see possiblities in both. I am examining them to try to learn a little more about writing clips. Thanks guys. I do appreciate all the work that you have done in my behalf.
            Ed
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2004
              Ed Brown wrote:

              > However, when I run the clip from hsavage on
              > the large list I get a syntax error in line 11.
              > And I get this if I use the Text Statistics and
              > then Format Statistics even after I changed the tabs.

              > WordFrequency
              >
              > gegenschein4
              > bract4
              > .4

              Ed,

              If I understand what you said you are changing tabs to something else
              before you run the clip.

              Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.

              The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
              too long.

              That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
              ^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.

              hrs
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                hrs wrote:

                >Ed,

                >If I understand what you said you are changing tabs to something else
                before you run the clip.

                >Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.

                >The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
                too long.

                >That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
                ^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.

                I would like to put the tabs back in place, I set them larger. But now I do not see a way to reset them to the original settings. I will try the clip line near the top and see what happens.

              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                  Hi Ed,

                  At 11:36 PM 5/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
                  >before you run the clip.
                  >
                  >>Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.
                  >
                  >>The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
                  >too long.
                  >
                  >>That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
                  >^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.
                  >
                  >I would like to put the tabs back in place, I set them larger. But now I
                  do not see a way to reset them to the original settings. I will try the
                  clip line near the top and see what happens.

                  There is another way with clips using ^!Keyboard commands to set and reset
                  tabs. You do this manually from the menu bar on the current document only
                  by selecting Document/Properties and then setting the tab size from there.
                  The clip commands would be:

                  ______[Copy below this line]_______
                  H="Set Tab Size to 35"
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S #35# Enter

                  H="Restore Default Tab Size"
                  ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S Delete Enter
                  _____[Copy above this line]______
                  | right click over the clipbook |
                  | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

                  You might have to change the &100 delay to a different number depending on
                  your computer's setup speed.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  lrt@... e¿ê
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                    Hi Ed,

                    This clip combines with John's clip and it does the whole thing. It runs
                    text statistics on the current open document. It copies the advanced page
                    to the clipboard and then pastes it to a new document. It then runs John's
                    replace clip and deletes the percent column. It then sets the tab size to
                    35 and replaces the tabs with spaces. And finally, it restores the tab
                    size to the default setting.

                    You can modify it to suit your tastes.

                    ______[Copy below this line]_______
                    H="Get Text Statistics"
                    ;lrt@... e¿ê
                    ;05/03/2004, 06:56:39 AM
                    ^!Keyboard Alt+T S M Ctrl+A &200 Alt+C &200 Shift+Ctrl+V Ctrl+Home
                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                    ;
                    ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S #35# Enter &200 Alt+M S B Ctrl+Home &200
                    Alt+D P &100 Alt+S Delete Enter
                    ;
                    _____[Copy above this line]______
                    | right click over the clipbook |
                    | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

                    Be sure to restore the long line in the clip before you try to use it.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    lrt@... e¿ê
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                      Works exactly as advertised. Great.

                      Now I have a question. The second line is exactly the same as the first clip.
                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                      Does this mean to replace the order of the words in the list with the ones used most, the words used second most, etc. and that is why the first [0-9]? IF so what does {^.*} mean or I guess what action is perfomed by this. Then we have \t . what does this do for us? That is followed by the first [0-9]. What does the +\. do? then we have the second [0-9]+S Altogether at this point we have this equation.
                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                      With the part after "Replace space" enclosed in quotation marks. This followed with >> "\1" AIWRS . Would you explain how this complete clip works in detail? Or is this too rudimentary? I have been pouring over the clip help for several weeks and so far it makes little or no sense to me. How did you know to use "Replace" instead of "List" as in "list the following words in this order etc."? Or why not "Get" the words listed most often in numerical order, etc.? I would like to see a beginners clip class in which we began with writing some simple clips and branch off into the student writing a few simple clips and then advance to the next level with using several different commands, gradually increasing in difficult with an instructor to catch our mistakes and show us why we made those errors.

                      I see many clips with multiple lines beginning ^!Set. What are we setting in those lines. Why use Set? If this is too basic to be answered here that is OK. I understand I am just trying to learn the ABC's and asking a Doctor of English to teach me the ABC's. :-) After all you cannot build a word until you know the ABC's and you cannot make a sentence until you have a vocabulary of words and neither can I write much of a clip until I understand what each symbol means and what it does and then build a vocabulary of clip parts and actions. Does this make any sense at all?

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
                        > Works exactly as advertised. Great.
                        >
                        > Now I have a question. The second line is exactly the same as the
                        first clip.
                        > ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                        > Does this mean to replace the order of the words in the list with
                        the ones used most, the words used second most, etc. and that is why
                        the first [0-9]? IF so what does {^.*} mean or I guess what action
                        is perfomed by this. Then we have \t . what does this do for us? That
                        is followed by the first [0-9]. What does the +\. do? then we have
                        the second [0-9]+S Altogether at this point we have this equation.
                        > ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                        > With the part after "Replace space" enclosed in quotation marks.
                        This followed with >> "\1" AIWRS . Would you explain how this
                        complete clip works in detail?

                        I'll answer the part on the ^!Replace line Ed since I'm the one who
                        wrote it. If what I'm about to say here doesn't help anyone, it
                        ought to at least cure insomnia. <Grin>

                        "^!Replace" is a NoteTab clip command where NoteTab searches for some
                        text and then replaces that text with something else. To resolve
                        your problem of wanting to eliminate the percentages, I used a
                        regular expression that I'll further explain below. Regular
                        expressions are not unique to NoteTab, they are used in a great
                        number of programs. A normal find and replace operation is limited
                        to specific text and wildcards, regular expressions do that and so
                        much more. The only downer to RegExp is at first, it seems like
                        total gobbledygook. For me it took patience and a lot of time to
                        gradually figure them out.

                        Here's how the following ^!Replace clip works

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

                        ^!Replace "this" >> "that" AIWRS
                        Start the NoteTab clip command to find "this" and replace it
                        with "that" in a document. What is in between each set of double
                        quotes represents what is searched for and what the replacement text
                        is. The AIWRS represent the ^!Replace options and their definitions
                        can be found in the clip help section.
                        A = Replaces all occurrences of the found text in the document.
                        I = Ignore character case (I really didn't need it in this situation).
                        W = Searches the entire document.
                        R = Means the ^!Replace criteria is a regular expression
                        S = Silent, just do the replacing without any messages.

                        Ok, now to explain how the regular expression part of the clip line
                        works.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

                        ^!Replace "
                        In a replace operation, the first " marks the beginning of where the
                        searched for text will be defined.

                        ^!Replace "{
                        The { marks the beginning of what is called a tagged match. A tagged
                        match is text found during the search, that is to be used in the
                        replacement. In other words what is in between a set of { } brackets
                        can be referred to in the replacement operation by using \1. If
                        there are two sets of { } brackets, then \2 represents what is found
                        in between the second set of brackets. I think you can have up to 9
                        sets of brackets.

                        ^!Replace "{^
                        The ^ means "starting at the very beginning of each line".

                        ^!Replace "{^.
                        The . means to match ANY single character. A number, an alphabet
                        letter, punctuation, a space, a tab, anything at all.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*
                        The * means to match the character that precedes the * 0 or more
                        times. So the combination of ^.* means to match anything at all that
                        starts at the beginning of each line.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}
                        Ok, now we have the closing } which ends the tagged match. If this
                        were the only criteria the ^!Replace command was looking for,
                        everything in the document would be replaced. Which isn't useful so
                        we need to add more to it.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t
                        \t represents a tab.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]
                        [0-9] represents any one single digit. Anything from 0 through 9.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+
                        The + represents 1 or more matches of the one thing that precedes
                        it. Since 0-9 is enclosed in between a set of [ ] that entire [0-9]
                        represents one thing, a single digit.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.
                        The \. represents a period. Remember that normally a period has a
                        special meaning in regular expressions so if you want to actually
                        search for a period, you have to escape the period with a \

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+
                        Like the previous [0-9]+ the second [0-9]+ simply means to find one
                        or more digits grouped together.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$
                        The $ represents the end of a line (where someone has hit ENTER on
                        their keyboard).

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                        The second " represents the end of the "find this" section of the ^!
                        Replace command.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >>
                        The >> tells NoteTab that what follows it will be the text to use to
                        replace the text that was found.

                        ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1"
                        And "\1" represents the text that was found in between the set of { }

                        So here is how the above clip works.
                        Starting at the beginning of each line in the document, search for
                        anything at all as long as it ends the line with a TAB followed by
                        one or more numbers, followed by a period, followed by one or more
                        numbers, and then finally the end of the line. Since we wanted to
                        keep everything but the last TAB, the last numbers, etc, we used the
                        curly brackets to collect the other text so it could be used as the
                        replacement text.

                        John
                      • Larry Thomas
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                          At 10:59 AM 5/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
                          >Works exactly as advertised. Great.
                          >
                          >I see many clips with multiple lines beginning ^!Set. What are we setting
                          in those lines. Why use Set? If this is too basic to be answered here
                          that is OK. I understand I am just trying to learn the ABC's and asking a
                          Doctor of English to teach me the ABC's. :-) After all you cannot build a
                          word until you know the ABC's and you cannot make a sentence until you have
                          a vocabulary of words and neither can I write much of a clip until I
                          understand what each symbol means and what it does and then build a
                          vocabulary of clip parts and actions. Does this make any sense at all?
                          >Ed

                          You are seeing the clip storing information in a named memory location
                          called a variable. The informaation can be a value (any number) or a
                          string (a group of characters). A number can be treated either as a value
                          as in 2 + 2 or as a string as in "2 + 2" which is actually five characters
                          - a two folloed by a space followed by a + followed by a space followed by
                          a two.

                          You can define any variable by using the ^!Set Command with the variable
                          name you choose enclosed in percent characters. Example:

                          ^!Set %Name%=Ed Brown

                          Creates a variable named %Name% which contains the string "Ed Brown". To
                          use the variable in a clip you just place and circumflex (^) in front of
                          it. Example:

                          ^%Name%

                          Placed on a line by itself will insert the string "Ed Brown" into the
                          currently open document at the current cursor position.

                          You can learn all about variables by going to the main help file. Go to
                          the menu bar and select Help/Help Topics.

                          FOR VARIABLES:
                          Go down the left panel to "Reference Information" and under that go to
                          "Tools" and under that go to "Editor Clipbook" and under that go to "Clip
                          Programming". On the right panel go down the page until you come to "Clip
                          Language - Variables" and click on it. This will give you all of the
                          information on variables and how to use them.

                          FOR REGULAR EXPRESSIONS:
                          Go down the left panel to "Reference Information" and under that go to
                          "Dialog Boxes" and underr that go to "Regular Expressions" and you will see
                          all of the information about how regular expressions work.

                          Regards,

                          Larry
                          lrt@... e¿ê