word count

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2004
      Is there a clip that will count the number of words, alphabetize the words,
      tell how many of the words are repeated on a page of text and how many or
      misspelled or not words?

      I do not have any other text editors, I think both MS Word and WORDPERFECT
      will do most if not all of the above.

      Tried using several of the Re: [Clip] Convert "Daniel Prince" into "Prince,
      Daniel" but on my page of names it only converted them one at a time.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        >Is there a clip that will count the number of words, alphabetize the words,
        >tell how many of the words are repeated on a page of text and how many or
        >misspelled or not words?

        Doesn't Tools | Text Statistics... do that in the expand view?

      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2004
          Yep, it does. I looked at it twice and it opened so small that even in the "MORE mode I did not see the words. Then I did select the expand and there they are. Close enough to what I wanted.
          Thanks
          Ed

          >Doesn't Tools | Text Statistics... do that in the expand view?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2004
            Jody and other clip writers,
            However, text statistics does miss the main point. I want to pick out and identify the words that are used twice, three, four, or five times. I do not think that there is more repetition than that. As far as I can tell Text Statistics does not get into those things. The list now stands at 1,665 words and is growing daily. So far as I can tell at this point only one word is repeated 4 times.There are many that repeats twice and three times. As the list grows longer these repeated words should increase.
            Thanks
            Ed
            >Yep, it does. I looked at it twice and it opened so small that even in the "MORE mode I did not see the words. Then I >did select the expand and there they are. Close enough to what I wanted.
            Thanks
            Ed

            >Doesn't Tools | Text Statistics... do that in the expand view?

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2004
              Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't that what the frequency
              column indicates Ed?

              Also, if you want the expanded text stats sorted by name, you can
              right click over the window and untick the sort by frequency option.
              You can also select and copy the text in the stats window if you wish
              to.

              John

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
              > Jody and other clip writers,
              > However, text statistics does miss the main point. I want to pick
              out and identify the words that are used twice, three, four, or five
              times. I do not think that there is more repetition than that. As far
              as I can tell Text Statistics does not get into those things. The
              list now stands at 1,665 words and is growing daily. So far as I can
              tell at this point only one word is repeated 4 times.There are many
              that repeats twice and three times. As the list grows longer these
              repeated words should increase.
              > Thanks
              > Ed

              Service.

            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't that what the frequency
                column indicates Ed?

                Also, if you want the expanded text stats sorted by name, you can
                right click over the window and untick the sort by frequency option.
                You can also select and copy the text in the stats window if you wish
                to.

                John

                John,
                Thanks, I did not know about the right click. It shows enough of what I want to be able to past and copy it to a separate document. Now if there was only away to get rid of the % column and to make the print larger in the stats window.
                When I try to paste and copy the percent column also appears in part in the I get the following mish mash.
                Word Frequency %

                gegenschein 4 0.24
                bract 4 0.24
                shun 3 0.18
                shield 3 0.18
                rodney 3 0.18
                retrograde 3 0.18
                placater 3 0.18
                phantom 3 0.18
                over 3 0.18
                northeast 3 0.18
                noontime 3 0.18
                mutt 3 0.18
                mccauley 3 0.18
                l'vov 3 0.18

                I would like to have them fall into even columns and the percent column is not necessary. This is not necessarily the email, this is the way they appear when copied and pasted. Otherwise this program does so many things it is hard to know about each of them. I wish someone would publish a book detailing all the things it will do and how to them. Searching in the help would probably produce it but most of the time I do not know what to ask for? Thanks again.
                Ed

              • John Zeman
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
                  > John,
                  > Thanks, I did not know about the right click. It shows enough of
                  what I want to be able to past and copy it to a separate document.
                  Now if there was only away to get rid of the % column and to make
                  the print larger in the stats window.
                  > When I try to paste and copy the percent column also appears in
                  part in the I get the following mish mash.
                  > Word Frequency %
                  >
                  > gegenschein 4 0.24
                  > bract 4 0.24
                  > shun 3 0.18
                  > shield 3 0.18
                  > rodney 3 0.18
                  > retrograde 3 0.18
                  > placater 3 0.18
                  > phantom 3 0.18
                  > over 3 0.18
                  > northeast 3 0.18
                  > noontime 3 0.18
                  > mutt 3 0.18
                  > mccauley 3 0.18
                  > l'vov 3 0.18
                  >
                  > I would like to have them fall into even columns and the percent
                  column is not necessary.

                  This hasn't been tested much Ed, but try this clip.

                  But before you do, first have the document open you want the stats
                  for, get the text statistics as you have been, press the MORE button
                  as you have done, then right click and sort the list the way you
                  want. Then right click again and select "Save All" and save
                  the "words.txt" file. Next open that "words.txt" file in NoteTab and
                  run the following clip. On my machine it removes the percentages.

                  If that does what you want, you could continue modifying the clip to
                  lay the remaining text out the way you want it to look.

                  John

                  ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                    Hi Ed,

                    At 08:03 AM 5/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
                    > John,
                    > Thanks, I did not know about the right click. It shows enough of what I
                    want to be able to past and copy it to a separate document. Now if there
                    was only away to get rid of the % column and to make the print larger in
                    the stats window.
                    > When I try to paste and copy the percent column also appears in part in
                    the I get the following mish mash.
                    > Word Frequency %
                    >
                    > gegenschein 4 0.24
                    > bract 4 0.24
                    > shun 3 0.18
                    > shield 3 0.18
                    > rodney 3 0.18
                    > retrograde 3 0.18
                    > placater 3 0.18
                    > phantom 3 0.18
                    > over 3 0.18
                    > northeast 3 0.18
                    > noontime 3 0.18
                    > mutt 3 0.18
                    > mccauley 3 0.18
                    > l'vov 3 0.18
                    >
                    > I would like to have them fall into even columns and the percent column
                    is not necessary. This is not necessarily the email, this is the way they
                    appear when copied and pasted. Otherwise this program does so many things
                    it is hard to know about each of them. I wish someone would publish a book
                    detailing all the things it will do and how to them. Searching in the help
                    would probably produce it but most of the time I do not know what to ask
                    for? Thanks again.
                    > Ed

                    In addition to John's clip, you should also know that the reason you see
                    such a mish mash is because the columns are separated by real tabs and the
                    tab setting is too small for some of the longer words in the list to fit in
                    the column they belong. So they push into the next column and the
                    subseqent tabs push out farther to the right and make everything misaligned
                    instead of neat columns. Go to the menu bar and select View/Options and
                    then the Documents tab. There you go to the box labeled Tab Size and
                    temporarily set your tab size to a larger size... oh say 30 or 35 and then
                    your columns will spread out and form into evenly spaced columns. Do this
                    after you run John's clip to get rid of the percent column.

                    Now adjust the tab size so that the columns look the way you want all the
                    way down the page. When you are satisfied with the way it looks you can
                    press Ctrl+A to highlight all of the text and then go to the menu bar and
                    select Modify/Spaces/Tabs to Spaces to convert all of the tabs in the
                    document to spaces which will fix the columns in place for you. Then you
                    can go back to the Documents tab in Options and delete the temporary tab
                    size to return your settings to the default and click ok.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    lrt@... e¿ê
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                      Ed Brown wrote:

                      > John,
                      > Thanks, I did not know about the right click.
                      > When I try to paste and copy the percent column also
                      > appears in part in the I get the following mish mash.
                      >
                      > Word Frequency %
                      >
                      > gegenschein 4 0.24
                      > bract 4 0.24
                      > shun 3 0.18
                      > shield 3 0.18
                      > rodney 3 0.18
                      > retrograde 3 0.18
                      > placater 3 0.18
                      > phantom 3 0.18
                      > over 3 0.18
                      > northeast 3 0.18
                      > noontime 3 0.18
                      > mutt 3 0.18
                      > mccauley 3 0.18
                      > l'vov 3 0.18
                      >
                      > I would like to have them fall into even columns and
                      > the percent column is not necessary.
                      > Ed

                      Ed,

                      Would a list similar to this;

                      Word Frequency

                      gegenschein 4

                      bract 4

                      shun 3

                      shield 3

                      rodney 3

                      retrograde 3

                      placater 3

                      phantom 3

                      over 3

                      northeast 3

                      noontime 3

                      mutt 3

                      mccauley 3

                      l'vov 3

                      be suitable.

                      If so this clip will help and need very few corrections.

                      Just copy and paste from the Text Statistics window to a blank document
                      and insure there is a blank line at the bottom. With that new document
                      focused run this clip. I works good for me with almost no trouble. In
                      the fill variable the space is a non-breaking space.

                      The aligned columns above will be single-line spaced in NoteTab, this
                      result is due to the email client.

                      H="Format Statistics"
                      ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                      ^!SetDebug 0
                      ^!Replace ^ >> ¤ TWSA
                      ^!Jump 1
                      :LOOP
                      ^!Select EOL
                      ^!Replace {.*}\t{.*}\t{.*} >> \1Ø\2 TIHRS
                      ^!Select BOL
                      ^!SetCode %line%=^$GetSelection$
                      ^!Set %size%=^$StrSize(^%line%)$
                      ^!Set %fill%="^$StrFill(" ";^$Calc(40-^%size%)$)$"
                      ^!Replace Ø >> ^%fill% TIHS
                      ^!Jump +1
                      ^!If ^$GetRow$ > ^$GetTextLineCount$ NEXT ELSE LOOP
                      ^!Replace ¤ >> ^ TWSA

                      hrs
                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                        John,
                        The clip works just as it should. And thanks to Larry, I have the tabs set right and everything falls into place just as I wanted.
                        Thanks guys,
                        Ed

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                          However, when I run the clip from hsavage on the large list I get a syntax error in line 11. And I get this if I use the Text Statistics and then Fromat Statistics even after I changed the tabs.
                          WordFrequency

                          gegenschein4
                          bract4
                          .4
                          shun3
                          shield3
                          rodney3
                          retrograde3
                          placater3
                          phantom3
                          over3
                          northeast3
                          noontime3
                          mutt3
                          mccauley3
                          l'vov3
                          kowloon3
                          incondensable3
                          hurst3

                          While the shorter clip which I named Text Stats gives me this or similar, the email does not reproduce it as good as it really is .
                          Word Frequency %

                          gegenschein 4
                          bract 4
                          rodney 3
                          retrograde 3
                          placater 3
                          phantom 3

                          So while I do not know enough to find it I do believe that there must be an error in syntax in the second clip. I see possiblities in both. I am examining them to try to learn a little more about writing clips. Thanks guys. I do appreciate all the work that you have done in my behalf.
                          Ed
                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                            Ed Brown wrote:

                            > However, when I run the clip from hsavage on
                            > the large list I get a syntax error in line 11.
                            > And I get this if I use the Text Statistics and
                            > then Format Statistics even after I changed the tabs.

                            > WordFrequency
                            >
                            > gegenschein4
                            > bract4
                            > .4

                            Ed,

                            If I understand what you said you are changing tabs to something else
                            before you run the clip.

                            Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.

                            The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
                            too long.

                            That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
                            ^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.

                            hrs
                          • Ed Brown
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 2, 2004
                              hrs wrote:

                              >Ed,

                              >If I understand what you said you are changing tabs to something else
                              before you run the clip.

                              >Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.

                              >The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
                              too long.

                              >That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
                              ^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.

                              I would like to put the tabs back in place, I set them larger. But now I do not see a way to reset them to the original settings. I will try the clip line near the top and see what happens.

                            • Larry Thomas
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                                Hi Ed,

                                At 11:36 PM 5/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
                                >before you run the clip.
                                >
                                >>Don't change anything, the tabs must be in place for the clip to work.
                                >
                                >>The only thing that gave me an error a line with a first word that was
                                >too long.
                                >
                                >>That could be worked around, I think, by adding the line,
                                >^!SetErrorLabel NEXT, near the top of the clip.
                                >
                                >I would like to put the tabs back in place, I set them larger. But now I
                                do not see a way to reset them to the original settings. I will try the
                                clip line near the top and see what happens.

                                There is another way with clips using ^!Keyboard commands to set and reset
                                tabs. You do this manually from the menu bar on the current document only
                                by selecting Document/Properties and then setting the tab size from there.
                                The clip commands would be:

                                ______[Copy below this line]_______
                                H="Set Tab Size to 35"
                                ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S #35# Enter

                                H="Restore Default Tab Size"
                                ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S Delete Enter
                                _____[Copy above this line]______
                                | right click over the clipbook |
                                | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                                ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

                                You might have to change the &100 delay to a different number depending on
                                your computer's setup speed.

                                Regards,

                                Larry
                                lrt@... e¿ê
                              • Larry Thomas
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                                  Hi Ed,

                                  This clip combines with John's clip and it does the whole thing. It runs
                                  text statistics on the current open document. It copies the advanced page
                                  to the clipboard and then pastes it to a new document. It then runs John's
                                  replace clip and deletes the percent column. It then sets the tab size to
                                  35 and replaces the tabs with spaces. And finally, it restores the tab
                                  size to the default setting.

                                  You can modify it to suit your tastes.

                                  ______[Copy below this line]_______
                                  H="Get Text Statistics"
                                  ;lrt@... e¿ê
                                  ;05/03/2004, 06:56:39 AM
                                  ^!Keyboard Alt+T S M Ctrl+A &200 Alt+C &200 Shift+Ctrl+V Ctrl+Home
                                  ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                                  ;
                                  ^!Keyboard Alt+D P &100 Alt+S #35# Enter &200 Alt+M S B Ctrl+Home &200
                                  Alt+D P &100 Alt+S Delete Enter
                                  ;
                                  _____[Copy above this line]______
                                  | right click over the clipbook |
                                  | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

                                  Be sure to restore the long line in the clip before you try to use it.

                                  Regards,

                                  Larry
                                  lrt@... e¿ê
                                • Ed Brown
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                                    Works exactly as advertised. Great.

                                    Now I have a question. The second line is exactly the same as the first clip.
                                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                                    Does this mean to replace the order of the words in the list with the ones used most, the words used second most, etc. and that is why the first [0-9]? IF so what does {^.*} mean or I guess what action is perfomed by this. Then we have \t . what does this do for us? That is followed by the first [0-9]. What does the +\. do? then we have the second [0-9]+S Altogether at this point we have this equation.
                                    ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                                    With the part after "Replace space" enclosed in quotation marks. This followed with >> "\1" AIWRS . Would you explain how this complete clip works in detail? Or is this too rudimentary? I have been pouring over the clip help for several weeks and so far it makes little or no sense to me. How did you know to use "Replace" instead of "List" as in "list the following words in this order etc."? Or why not "Get" the words listed most often in numerical order, etc.? I would like to see a beginners clip class in which we began with writing some simple clips and branch off into the student writing a few simple clips and then advance to the next level with using several different commands, gradually increasing in difficult with an instructor to catch our mistakes and show us why we made those errors.

                                    I see many clips with multiple lines beginning ^!Set. What are we setting in those lines. Why use Set? If this is too basic to be answered here that is OK. I understand I am just trying to learn the ABC's and asking a Doctor of English to teach me the ABC's. :-) After all you cannot build a word until you know the ABC's and you cannot make a sentence until you have a vocabulary of words and neither can I write much of a clip until I understand what each symbol means and what it does and then build a vocabulary of clip parts and actions. Does this make any sense at all?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Brown" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
                                      > Works exactly as advertised. Great.
                                      >
                                      > Now I have a question. The second line is exactly the same as the
                                      first clip.
                                      > ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS
                                      > Does this mean to replace the order of the words in the list with
                                      the ones used most, the words used second most, etc. and that is why
                                      the first [0-9]? IF so what does {^.*} mean or I guess what action
                                      is perfomed by this. Then we have \t . what does this do for us? That
                                      is followed by the first [0-9]. What does the +\. do? then we have
                                      the second [0-9]+S Altogether at this point we have this equation.
                                      > ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                                      > With the part after "Replace space" enclosed in quotation marks.
                                      This followed with >> "\1" AIWRS . Would you explain how this
                                      complete clip works in detail?

                                      I'll answer the part on the ^!Replace line Ed since I'm the one who
                                      wrote it. If what I'm about to say here doesn't help anyone, it
                                      ought to at least cure insomnia. <Grin>

                                      "^!Replace" is a NoteTab clip command where NoteTab searches for some
                                      text and then replaces that text with something else. To resolve
                                      your problem of wanting to eliminate the percentages, I used a
                                      regular expression that I'll further explain below. Regular
                                      expressions are not unique to NoteTab, they are used in a great
                                      number of programs. A normal find and replace operation is limited
                                      to specific text and wildcards, regular expressions do that and so
                                      much more. The only downer to RegExp is at first, it seems like
                                      total gobbledygook. For me it took patience and a lot of time to
                                      gradually figure them out.

                                      Here's how the following ^!Replace clip works

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

                                      ^!Replace "this" >> "that" AIWRS
                                      Start the NoteTab clip command to find "this" and replace it
                                      with "that" in a document. What is in between each set of double
                                      quotes represents what is searched for and what the replacement text
                                      is. The AIWRS represent the ^!Replace options and their definitions
                                      can be found in the clip help section.
                                      A = Replaces all occurrences of the found text in the document.
                                      I = Ignore character case (I really didn't need it in this situation).
                                      W = Searches the entire document.
                                      R = Means the ^!Replace criteria is a regular expression
                                      S = Silent, just do the replacing without any messages.

                                      Ok, now to explain how the regular expression part of the clip line
                                      works.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1" AIWRS

                                      ^!Replace "
                                      In a replace operation, the first " marks the beginning of where the
                                      searched for text will be defined.

                                      ^!Replace "{
                                      The { marks the beginning of what is called a tagged match. A tagged
                                      match is text found during the search, that is to be used in the
                                      replacement. In other words what is in between a set of { } brackets
                                      can be referred to in the replacement operation by using \1. If
                                      there are two sets of { } brackets, then \2 represents what is found
                                      in between the second set of brackets. I think you can have up to 9
                                      sets of brackets.

                                      ^!Replace "{^
                                      The ^ means "starting at the very beginning of each line".

                                      ^!Replace "{^.
                                      The . means to match ANY single character. A number, an alphabet
                                      letter, punctuation, a space, a tab, anything at all.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*
                                      The * means to match the character that precedes the * 0 or more
                                      times. So the combination of ^.* means to match anything at all that
                                      starts at the beginning of each line.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}
                                      Ok, now we have the closing } which ends the tagged match. If this
                                      were the only criteria the ^!Replace command was looking for,
                                      everything in the document would be replaced. Which isn't useful so
                                      we need to add more to it.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t
                                      \t represents a tab.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]
                                      [0-9] represents any one single digit. Anything from 0 through 9.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+
                                      The + represents 1 or more matches of the one thing that precedes
                                      it. Since 0-9 is enclosed in between a set of [ ] that entire [0-9]
                                      represents one thing, a single digit.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.
                                      The \. represents a period. Remember that normally a period has a
                                      special meaning in regular expressions so if you want to actually
                                      search for a period, you have to escape the period with a \

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+
                                      Like the previous [0-9]+ the second [0-9]+ simply means to find one
                                      or more digits grouped together.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$
                                      The $ represents the end of a line (where someone has hit ENTER on
                                      their keyboard).

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$"
                                      The second " represents the end of the "find this" section of the ^!
                                      Replace command.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >>
                                      The >> tells NoteTab that what follows it will be the text to use to
                                      replace the text that was found.

                                      ^!Replace "{^.*}\t[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" >> "\1"
                                      And "\1" represents the text that was found in between the set of { }

                                      So here is how the above clip works.
                                      Starting at the beginning of each line in the document, search for
                                      anything at all as long as it ends the line with a TAB followed by
                                      one or more numbers, followed by a period, followed by one or more
                                      numbers, and then finally the end of the line. Since we wanted to
                                      keep everything but the last TAB, the last numbers, etc, we used the
                                      curly brackets to collect the other text so it could be used as the
                                      replacement text.

                                      John
                                    • Larry Thomas
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 3, 2004
                                        At 10:59 AM 5/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
                                        >Works exactly as advertised. Great.
                                        >
                                        >I see many clips with multiple lines beginning ^!Set. What are we setting
                                        in those lines. Why use Set? If this is too basic to be answered here
                                        that is OK. I understand I am just trying to learn the ABC's and asking a
                                        Doctor of English to teach me the ABC's. :-) After all you cannot build a
                                        word until you know the ABC's and you cannot make a sentence until you have
                                        a vocabulary of words and neither can I write much of a clip until I
                                        understand what each symbol means and what it does and then build a
                                        vocabulary of clip parts and actions. Does this make any sense at all?
                                        >Ed

                                        You are seeing the clip storing information in a named memory location
                                        called a variable. The informaation can be a value (any number) or a
                                        string (a group of characters). A number can be treated either as a value
                                        as in 2 + 2 or as a string as in "2 + 2" which is actually five characters
                                        - a two folloed by a space followed by a + followed by a space followed by
                                        a two.

                                        You can define any variable by using the ^!Set Command with the variable
                                        name you choose enclosed in percent characters. Example:

                                        ^!Set %Name%=Ed Brown

                                        Creates a variable named %Name% which contains the string "Ed Brown". To
                                        use the variable in a clip you just place and circumflex (^) in front of
                                        it. Example:

                                        ^%Name%

                                        Placed on a line by itself will insert the string "Ed Brown" into the
                                        currently open document at the current cursor position.

                                        You can learn all about variables by going to the main help file. Go to
                                        the menu bar and select Help/Help Topics.

                                        FOR VARIABLES:
                                        Go down the left panel to "Reference Information" and under that go to
                                        "Tools" and under that go to "Editor Clipbook" and under that go to "Clip
                                        Programming". On the right panel go down the page until you come to "Clip
                                        Language - Variables" and click on it. This will give you all of the
                                        information on variables and how to use them.

                                        FOR REGULAR EXPRESSIONS:
                                        Go down the left panel to "Reference Information" and under that go to
                                        "Dialog Boxes" and underr that go to "Regular Expressions" and you will see
                                        all of the information about how regular expressions work.

                                        Regards,

                                        Larry
                                        lrt@... e¿ê