Re: [Clip] help getting started with clip programming

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2004
      Hi Paul,

      >Hi, I am new, can someone give me a pointer to some basic
      >ways to do basic things in clip programming? I have spent
      >several hours in help and just go in circles. It is obvious
      >that Notetab has a lot to offer, especailly in programming,
      >but how does one get started. A tutorial would be nice.

      In the post to the Basic list I gave you the link to the Clip
      Tutorial I wrote, plus the links to answer your question on how
      to make a Clip. In the Clip Tutorial there is a topic called
      Getting Started... :) You should make a new Library first.

      How to Make a Clipbook Library
      http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm#A09
      1. If you do not have the Clipbook visible, press F4 and it will
      appear for you. (Press F4 again to close.)

      2. Look up at the top of the Clipbook and you will see a small
      window (above the large one) that shows the Library's name.

      3. Right click in the small window with the Library name and
      choose "New..." You will be prompted to give it a name. After
      naming it and pressing OK the new Clipbook Library will be made
      and it will become active. You are now ready to add a Clip to it.

      How to Create a Clip
      http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm#A10
      1. To add a new Clip to an existing Library, focus the Library
      you want by pressing its button on the button bar at the bottom
      of your screen. (You may have to go to the menubar and select
      "View/Libraries bar" first.)

      2. Right click over the larger lower window on the left of the
      screen and select "Add New Clip..." Type in a name of the Clip in
      the popup.

      3. The Clip edit window will open in the main area with [Clips]
      as the name of the tab. Type in what you want in the Clip and
      save it. Hold your mouse over its tab and select close. It is not
      necessary to close the Clip Editor in order to use the Clip. (See
      How to Edit a Clip below.)

      When reading Help in NoteTab, posts to these lists, tutorials,
      etc. reference Help | NoteTab Tutorial when terms are used that
      you are not familiar with.

      So, you wanted to use the command ^!ActivateApp. You asked,
      "Isn't this support to start up another version of NoteTab?" That
      activates or brings NoteTab to the front. If you added that to a
      Clip and executed/ran it, in itself, you really wouldn't see
      anything happen - perhaps a flash of the screen. It is normally
      used when your script (Clip) has you in another application
      /program and you want to switch back to NoteTab giving it the
      focus.

      In order to have another instance of NoteTab running/open you
      would need to check the box in View | Options | General | Allow
      Multiple Instances checked (or write a fairly complex Clip
      considering you are just beginning). (There are a couple
      different ways of doing that and would be better to be discussed
      under a different thread (Subject:) on this list so that we keep
      this more to the basics of making a Clip.)

      A simple Clip would be to use a command to open another program.
      You can simply use the path to the program following the code for
      a command which is "^!" without the quotes. For instance:

      ^!"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

      Follow the instructions to "How Create a Clip" above or online at:
      http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm#A10

      My tutorial explains what commands and functions are. In short
      and very general though a command normally opens programs and
      executes features in NoteTab. They don't normally manipulate
      text, but can like ^!Toolbar Copy/Cut/Paste/Delete. Functions
      normally manipulate text, get text, and other things dealing with
      data. Commands start with "^!" and functions start with "^$" and
      end with "$" without the quotes.

      Jim Hall also has some help online for making Clips.

      http://www.jimbow.com/
      (Basic Clips Basics with Tutorial)

      I also have some images and help at:
      Getting Started, an Overview of the Basics
      http://www.notetab.net/cliptut/starting.htm
      (Also linked from the Clip Tutorial. I just uploaded again
      because I have been making some changes to images - I needed to
      backup and regroup. <g>)

      The following is a download for a Clipbook programming tutorial
      designed to walk you through Clip writing. It includes "Getting
      Started" (which is a web page with a number of images displaying
      different parts of NoteTab that deals with Clipbooks), making a
      Clipbook Library, adding Clips, and editing Clips, on to more
      difficult Clip writing. Be sure to read the Introduction also.
      Open ClipTut.clb and then click on the ClipTut.otl Outline Clip
      to open the Outline.

      All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries
      folder. http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip

      You can also sign up for the NoteTab Clips List to get answers to
      Clip questions, but please do not post there concerning the
      tutorial. NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:

      Subscribe, unSubscribe, Options

      Happy Clip'n! Jody

      http://www.notetab.net http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

      Take care,
      Jody Adair

      and even thou doest err some!
      http://clean-funnies.com
      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2004
        Jody:
        > You can also sign up for the NoteTab Clips List to get answers to
        > Clip questions, but please do not post there concerning the
        > tutorial. ...

        Now that the clipclass list has been officially terminated, is it ok for new
        users to ask questions (occasionally!) about problems encountered in the
        clipclass? I assume that if it became burdensome the clipclass list could be
        resurected from its anonymous resting place :-)

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2004
          Hi Alec,

          There is no clip class anymore. It is still best to leave all you guys
          alone with questions about the tutorial. I think I made it clear enough
          in the tutorial now to only ask questions on the Clips list about the
          commands and functions, but not the tutorial itself. :)