help getting started with clip programming

  • pmkadow2
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2004
      Hi, I am new, can someone give me a pointer to some basic
      ways to do basic things in clip programming? I have spent
      several hours in help and just go in circles. It is obvious
      that Notetab has a lot to offer, especailly in programming,
      but how does one get started. A tutorial would be nice.

      -Paul Kadow
      pmkadow@...
      (pmkadow@... is old but I cannot seem to get it changed)
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2004
        Hi Paul,

        >Hi, I am new, can someone give me a pointer to some basic
        >ways to do basic things in clip programming? I have spent
        >several hours in help and just go in circles. It is obvious
        >that Notetab has a lot to offer, especailly in programming,
        >but how does one get started. A tutorial would be nice.

        In the post to the Basic list I gave you the link to the Clip
        Tutorial I wrote, plus the links to answer your question on how
        to make a Clip. In the Clip Tutorial there is a topic called
        Getting Started... :) You should make a new Library first.

        How to Make a Clipbook Library
        http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm#A09
        1. If you do not have the Clipbook visible, press F4 and it will
        appear for you. (Press F4 again to close.)

        2. Look up at the top of the Clipbook and you will see a small
        window (above the large one) that shows the Library's name.

        3. Right click in the small window with the Library name and
        choose "New..." You will be prompted to give it a name. After
        naming it and pressing OK the new Clipbook Library will be made
        and it will become active. You are now ready to add a Clip to it.

        How to Create a Clip
        http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm#A10
        1. To add a new Clip to an existing Library, focus the Library
        you want by pressing its button on the button bar at the bottom
        of your screen. (You may have to go to the menubar and select
        "View/Libraries bar" first.)

        2. Right click over the larger lower window on the left of the
        screen and select "Add New Clip..." Type in a name of the Clip in
        the popup.

        3. The Clip edit window will open in the main area with [Clips]
        as the name of the tab. Type in what you want in the Clip and
        save it. Hold your mouse over its tab and select close. It is not
        necessary to close the Clip Editor in order to use the Clip. (See
        How to Edit a Clip below.)

        When reading Help in NoteTab, posts to these lists, tutorials,
        etc. reference Help | NoteTab Tutorial when terms are used that
        you are not familiar with.

        So, you wanted to use the command ^!ActivateApp. You asked,
        "Isn't this support to start up another version of NoteTab?" That
        activates or brings NoteTab to the front. If you added that to a
        Clip and executed/ran it, in itself, you really wouldn't see
        anything happen - perhaps a flash of the screen. It is normally
        used when your script (Clip) has you in another application
        /program and you want to switch back to NoteTab giving it the
        focus.

        In order to have another instance of NoteTab running/open you
        would need to check the box in View | Options | General | Allow
        Multiple Instances checked (or write a fairly complex Clip
        considering you are just beginning). (There are a couple
        different ways of doing that and would be better to be discussed
        under a different thread (Subject:) on this list so that we keep
        this more to the basics of making a Clip.)

        A simple Clip would be to use a command to open another program.
        You can simply use the path to the program following the code for
        a command which is "^!" without the quotes. For instance:

        ^!"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

        Follow the instructions to "How Create a Clip" above or online at:
        http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm#A10

        My tutorial explains what commands and functions are. In short
        and very general though a command normally opens programs and
        executes features in NoteTab. They don't normally manipulate
        text, but can like ^!Toolbar Copy/Cut/Paste/Delete. Functions
        normally manipulate text, get text, and other things dealing with
        data. Commands start with "^!" and functions start with "^$" and
        end with "$" without the quotes.

        Jim Hall also has some help online for making Clips.

        http://www.jimbow.com/
        (Basic Clips Basics with Tutorial)

        I also have some images and help at:
        Getting Started, an Overview of the Basics
        http://www.notetab.net/cliptut/starting.htm
        (Also linked from the Clip Tutorial. I just uploaded again
        because I have been making some changes to images - I needed to
        backup and regroup. <g>)

        The following is a download for a Clipbook programming tutorial
        designed to walk you through Clip writing. It includes "Getting
        Started" (which is a web page with a number of images displaying
        different parts of NoteTab that deals with Clipbooks), making a
        Clipbook Library, adding Clips, and editing Clips, on to more
        difficult Clip writing. Be sure to read the Introduction also.
        Open ClipTut.clb and then click on the ClipTut.otl Outline Clip
        to open the Outline.

        All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries
        folder. http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip

        You can also sign up for the NoteTab Clips List to get answers to
        Clip questions, but please do not post there concerning the
        tutorial. NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:

        Subscribe, unSubscribe, Options

        Happy Clip'n! Jody

        http://www.notetab.net http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

        Take care,
        Jody Adair

        and even thou doest err some!
        http://clean-funnies.com
        http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2004
          Jody:
          > You can also sign up for the NoteTab Clips List to get answers to
          > Clip questions, but please do not post there concerning the
          > tutorial. ...

          Now that the clipclass list has been officially terminated, is it ok for new
          users to ask questions (occasionally!) about problems encountered in the
          clipclass? I assume that if it became burdensome the clipclass list could be
          resurected from its anonymous resting place :-)

          Regards ... Alec

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2004
            Hi Alec,

            There is no clip class anymore. It is still best to leave all you guys
            alone with questions about the tutorial. I think I made it clear enough
            in the tutorial now to only ask questions on the Clips list about the
            commands and functions, but not the tutorial itself. :)