Re: Re: [Clip] clip to replace boiler plate signatures at end of email texts.

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2004
      Doug:

      > The only other thing that I might want to add is a marker sequence to
      > separate the individual messages. Instead of deleting the first loop
      > could it be replaced with a unique marker sequence such as ###--->>>
      > so I can find the end of each email quickly?
      >
      > I tried using replace but couldn't figure out the syntax for
      > beginning and ending strings.

      This one is so simple you're going to kick yourself :-)
      Any line in a clip that doesn't start with either ";"-comment or "^"-clip
      command is considered to be literal text to be inserted at the current
      cursor location.

      so ...
      ^!menu edit/delete
      <---separator replaces old contents
      ^!goto Loop

      any text line(s) immediately following the delete command ^!menu edit/delete
      will be inserted as you want.

      hrs:
      >> ^!replace "$$$$">> "start delete here... " [T]

      > If this is a direct paste from your experimental clip the reason it
      > won't find '$$$$' is, there is no space between the closing quote on
      > the "$$$$" and the double chevron, >>.
      >
      > Instead of "$$$$">> , it should be "$$$$" >>. The clip should work
      > then.
      >
      > I don't understand why you're having trouble, I have none finding
      > $$$$.

      The initial problem (I think) is that
      ^!find "$$$$" was failing to in (say) "$$$$$$$$$".
      On going back to the Help file I found that a find is by default whole words
      only! :-( so ... either of:
      ^!find "$$$$" T
      ^!find $$$$ T
      will work just fine. So does:
      I assume because "[" and "]" are just treated as invalid flags and ignored.

      Paul - sorry for the irrelevant digression into regexps which now appears to
      have just been a confusing/complicated way of turning off the "whole words"
      flag! Hopefully though it introduced you to Regexps which when they *ARE*
      needed, are *VERY* powerful :-)

      Regards ... Alec