Re: [Clip] clip to replace boiler plate signatures at end of email texts.

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2004
      Doug:

      this should do it. replace "beginning text" and "ending text" by any strings
      that occur only in the first line and last line of the range you want
      deleted.

      for extra credit create a clip wizard to allow specification of the
      beginning and ending strings you need. As coded these can be anywhere in the
      beginning and ending lines :-)

      > That type of clip is well outside of my limited abilities at the
      > moment. Can anyone point me to a clip with those functions or perhaps
      > create one for me?

      One good way to figure out how to increase "limited abilities" is to
      activate the ^!setdebug and use to step through the clip making sure you
      understand what each line is doing.

      <----- copy below
      H="remove multiple Find-1 thru Find-2
      ; Alec Burgess 2004-04-28

      ; remove ; in following line to debug
      ;^!setdebug ON

      ^!Set beg_str="beginning text"
      ^!Set end_str="ending text"
      ^!jump TEXT_START
      :Loop
      ^!find "^%beg_str%"
      ^!iferror END
      ^!set beg_line="^$getrow$:1"
      ^!find "^%end_str%"
      ^!iferror END
      ^!jump SELECT_END
      ^!jump LINE_END
      ^!selectto ^%beg_line%
      ^!menu edit/delete
      ^!goto Loop
      <------ copy above, then in Notetab Open Clipbook then
      <------ right click then Add clip from clipboard

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2004
        Thanks Alec,

        I messed with your clip a bit and it would not find $$$$ as the
        beginning text for some reason. I put in a replace command so it can
        look for word string "start delete here... " instead of $$$$.

        <----- copy below
        H="remove multiple Find-1 thru Find-2
        ; Alec Burgess 2004-04-28, with Doug Offen meddling in there too.
        ; remove ; in following line to debug
        ;^!setdebug ON

        ^!jump TEXT_START
        :Loop
        ^!replace "$$$$">> "start delete here... " [T]
        ^!iferror END
        ^!jump TEXT_START
        ^!Set beg_str="start delete here... "
        ^!Set end_str="/2004"
        ^!jump TEXT_START
        ^!find "^%beg_str%"
        ^!iferror END
        ^!set beg_line="^$getrow$:1"
        ^!find "^%end_str%"
        ^!iferror END
        ^!jump SELECT_END
        ^!jump LINE_END
        ^!selectto ^%beg_line%
        ^!menu edit/delete
        ^!replace "$$$$">> "start delete here... " [T]
        ^!jump TEXT_START
        ^!goto Loop
        <------ copy above, then in Notetab Open Clipbook then
        <------ right click then Add clip from clipboard

        That worked. I know I have too many loops somewhere and the clip
        should be cleaned up a bit, but it does what I need. See sample text
        below.

        Thanks again Alec. (Sorry for the long post)

        Doug

        P.S. Is there a way to have a series of loops performing searches for
        several different text strings and deleting them? There are several
        recurring text insertions that aren't covered in the above clip.

        --------------------------------------
        This is an example of the canspam boiler plate at the end of an email
        message. There are just 3 lines I want to keep and the above clip
        separates all the chaff from the wheat. Works great on saved massed
        email text files.

        ---------start below here:------------

        save this 01

        $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

        Since not everyone gets the corporate e-mail blasts or news reports,
        and some do not get ALL of the blasts or news reports, here is an
        important e-mail blast or news story that you might have missed:

        You have been sent this E-mail because of your expressed interests
        in PPLSI, if you no longer have that interest then follow the
        instructions to be removed.

        There are specific ways listed in MOST E-mail's on how you may
        UNSUBSCRIBE to a Yahoogroups.com mailing list that you have
        subscribed to in the past.
        Thank you.
        Joe

        You can UN subscribe by sending an e-mail to the selected list below:

        You may SUBSCRIBE for FREE by sending an e-mail to the lists below
        HOWEVER do NOT SPAM our lists or you WILL be reported to the
        host of your web page, autoresponder, e-mail provider and MORE !!! :

        Pre-Paid-Legal-News-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        (Moderated list to avoid spam. Articles about PPLSI or the need for
        PPLSI,
        plus TIPS
        and HOT announcements made about new PPL contests or policy changes,
        even BEFORE PPLSI can get an E-mail blast out to many associates !!! )
        (Also we hide the members list so your address can not be harvested.
        Only moderators see the member's list.)

        prepaidlegalassociatesonly2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com (active Q&A
        interaction
        among associates,
        yet MODERATED to avoid SPAM !!!)

        pplFlorida-subscribe@yahoogroups.com (announcements only to prevent
        SPAM with
        HOT NEWS & tips associates
        can use for ANY state or Province. Overviews of conference calls
        posted, HOT
        announcements made
        about new PPL contests or policy changes,
        even BEFORE PPLSI can get an E-mail blast out to many associates !!!

        Also frequently check all areas of www.pplflorida.com )
        for a wealth of constantly changing infomation that is great for
        associates
        anywhere in North America !!!

        1pplbuilders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        PAWomenInBusiness-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        PPLSI-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Pre-PaidLegal-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Pre-Paid-Legal-TIPS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Daily-Motivation-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        The person who controls your income ... CONTROLS YOU !!!
        Take ACTION TODAY to start your $ucce$$ TODAY !!!
        http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/joebentson

        You have received this message, because your were recommended to
        receive the E-mail by an independent PPL associate, or you have
        REQUESTED to be on this E-mailing list of suggestions, tips, and
        specials to help your Pre-Paid Legal business grow as an Independent
        Associate. Please do NOT SPAM the list or memebrs of the list.
        SPAMMERS will be reported to their ISP, Affilliate program,
        autoresponder, etc.

        E-mail Addresses:
        Post message: Pre-Paid-Legal-Tips@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: Pre-Paid-Legal-Tips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        anyone, especially those who are in sales:
        Subscribe: Daily-Motivation-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        to "Existing" Independent Pre-Paid Legal Associates. Thus, it should
        not require any approvals.

        Please do NOT forward these emails to anyone. They may subscribe and
        read them in the archieves. Thank You.
        http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/joebentson
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        save this 02

        $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[...]

        save this 03

        $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2004
          Hi Doug:

          One think I notice off the top. You've put the replace line for $$$$ inside
          the loop. It can all be done at once if you put it ABOVE the loop and then
          you don't need the jump TEXT_START at the beginning of each line. Also (I'm
          pretty sure you don't need the square brackets around your option [T]. In
          the Help file this line:
          ^!Find "SearchText" [Options TCIBGWHRS] simply indicates that each of the
          letters are optional and you can choose one or more of them as required.

          So this should work at the top:
          change:
          > ^!jump TEXT_START
          > :Loop
          > ^!replace "$$$$">> "start delete here... " [T]
          > ^!iferror END
          > ^!jump TEXT_START
          > ^!Set beg_str="start delete here... "

          > ^!replace "$$$$">> "start delete here... " wsa
          > ; <-- wsa means w-whole buffer, s- Silent search. a- Use to replace all
          matched occurrences
          > ^!iferror END
          > ^!jump TEXT_START
          > :Loop
          > ^!Set beg_str="start delete here... "

          I'm not sure why searching for $$$$ doesn't work - must be some kind of
          special token like ^P or ^T (return or tab respectively) strangely it works
          in the find box, just not in the clip.

          instead of doing this (which does work) lets use a very simple regular
          expression instead:
          use:
          ^!set beg_str="\$\$\$\$" instead of ^!set beg_str="$$$$" and
          ^!find "^%beg_str%" r instead of just ^!find "^%beg_str%"

          here: the "\"backslashes before the "$"'s escape the special meaning of $ in
          a regular expression and the "r" on the end of the find command just says
          its a regular expression.

          so the revised clip:

          H="remove multiple Find-1 thru Find-2
          ; Alec Burgess rev2 2004-04-30

          ; remove ; in following line to debug
          ^!setdebug ON

          ;^!Set beg_str="beginning text"
          ;^!Set end_str="ending text"
          ^!Set beg_str="\$\$\$\$"
          ^!Set end_str="/2004"
          ^!jump TEXT_START
          :Loop
          ^!find "^%beg_str%" r
          ^!iferror DONE_LOOP
          ^!set beg_line="^$getrow$:1"
          ^!find "^%end_str%"
          ^!iferror DONE_LOOP
          ^!jump SELECT_END
          ^!jump LINE_END
          ^!selectto ^%beg_line%
          ^!menu edit/delete
          ^!goto Loop
          :DONE_LOOP

          finds the three valid lines:
          save this 01
          save this 02
          save this 03
          though it leaves a bunch of blank lines in between them ...

          btw: No wonder you wanted to clean them up -- that sure is a whole bunch of
          crap surrounding the nuggets of gold you want to keep!

          > P.S. Is there a way to have a series of loops performing searches for
          > several different text strings and deleting them? There are several
          > recurring text insertions that aren't covered in the above clip.

          Absolutely :-)
          Just put additional groups after the first one and change
          :LOOP and :DONE_LOOP to
          :LOOP_1
          :DONE_LOOP_1
          ; reset the Beg_str and end_str here and put in another jump TEXT_START
          :LOOP_2
          :DONE_LOOP_2

          hope this helps. if you're not clear, since we've gone this far, put up
          another sample text for the additional changes you want to make.

          Regards ... Alec
          > I messed with your clip a bit and it would not find $$$$ as the
          > beginning text for some reason. I put in a replace command so it can
          > look for word string "start delete here... " instead of $$$$.
        • doff02ca
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2004

            > hope this helps. if you're not clear, since we've gone this far,
            put up
            > another sample text for the additional changes you want to make.
            >
            > Regards ... Alec
            > --

            Thanks Alec,

            Loop_1 works great! I added loop_2 to remove yahoo advertisements
            like this one which pop up throughout the messages randomly.

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-
            ->
            Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
            Canada.
            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/fYiolB/TM
            ~->

            The multiple ---- picked up with no problem. Still can't figure why
            the $$$$ didn't work.

            Much neater clip. I copied and pasted the lines and made the minor
            changes for loop_2. Thanks for explaining what you did and why. The
            setdebug really helped too.

            Here is the second loop and it works well.

            H:"double loop - remove selections"
            ; Alec Burgess rev2 2004-04-30, second loop by Doug Offen

            ; remove ; in following line to debug
            ^!setdebug ON

            ;^!Set beg_str="beginning text"
            ;^!Set end_str="ending text"
            ^!Set beg_str="\$\$\$\$"
            ^!Set end_str="/2004"
            ^!jump TEXT_START
            :Loop_1
            ^!find "^%beg_str%" r
            ^!iferror DONE_LOOP_1
            ^!set beg_line="^$getrow$:1"
            ^!find "^%end_str%"
            ^!iferror DONE_LOOP_1
            ^!jump SELECT_END
            ^!jump LINE_END
            ^!selectto ^%beg_line%
            ^!menu edit/delete
            ^!goto Loop_1
            :DONE_LOOP_1
            ; reset the Beg_str and end_str here and put in another jump
            ^!Set beg_str="------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor"
            ^!Set end_str="-------------------------------------------------~->"
            ^!jump TEXT_START
            TEXT_START
            :LOOP_2
            ^!find "^%beg_str%" r
            ^!iferror DONE_LOOP_2
            ^!set beg_line="^$getrow$:1"
            ^!find "^%end_str%"
            ^!iferror DONE_LOOP_2
            ^!jump SELECT_END
            ^!jump LINE_END
            ^!selectto ^%beg_line%
            ^!menu edit/delete
            ^!goto Loop_2
            :DONE_LOOP_2

            The only other thing that I might want to add is a marker sequence to
            separate the individual messages. Instead of deleting the first loop
            could it be replaced with a unique marker sequence such as ###--->>>
            so I can find the end of each email quickly?

            I tried using replace but couldn't figure out the syntax for
            beginning and ending strings.

            Thanks again Alec.

            Doug
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2004
              doff02ca wrote:

              > Thanks Alec,
              >
              > I messed with your clip a bit and it would not find $$$$ as the
              > beginning text for some reason. I put in a replace command so it can
              > look for word string "start delete here... " instead of $$$$.
              >
              > <----- copy below
              > H="remove multiple Find-1 thru Find-2
              > ; Alec Burgess 2004-04-28, with Doug Offen meddling in there too.
              > ; remove ; in following line to debug
              > ;^!setdebug ON
              >
              > ^!jump TEXT_START
              > :Loop
              > ^!replace "$$$$">> "start delete here... " [T]
              > ^!iferror END

              Doug,

              If this is a direct paste from your experimental clip the reason it
              won't find '$$$$' is, there is no space between the closing quote on the
              "$$$$" and the double chevron, >>.

              Instead of "$$$$">> , it should be "$$$$" >>. The clip should work then.

              I don't understand why you're having trouble, I have none finding $$$$.

              hrs
            • doff02ca
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2004
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
                > If this is a direct paste from your experimental clip the reason it
                > won't find '$$$$' is, there is no space between the closing quote
                on the
                > "$$$$" and the double chevron, >>.
                >
                > Instead of "$$$$">> , it should be "$$$$" >>. The clip should work
                then.

                > I don't understand why you're having trouble, I have none finding
                $$$$.

                > hrs

                Thanks hrs,

                I am still at the stage of copy and paste and then tweat the clip
                commands to do my specific tasks. I remember typing that line from
                the help sections and I guess I didn't pick up on the space. That's
                why I like to c/p the commands. I miss a lot of little things like
                that when I try to type them in.

                Truly one time when nothing means something... Thanks again.

                Doug
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2004
                  Doug:

                  > The only other thing that I might want to add is a marker sequence to
                  > separate the individual messages. Instead of deleting the first loop
                  > could it be replaced with a unique marker sequence such as ###--->>>
                  > so I can find the end of each email quickly?
                  >
                  > I tried using replace but couldn't figure out the syntax for
                  > beginning and ending strings.

                  This one is so simple you're going to kick yourself :-)
                  Any line in a clip that doesn't start with either ";"-comment or "^"-clip
                  command is considered to be literal text to be inserted at the current
                  cursor location.

                  so ...
                  ^!menu edit/delete
                  <---separator replaces old contents
                  ^!goto Loop

                  any text line(s) immediately following the delete command ^!menu edit/delete
                  will be inserted as you want.

                  hrs:
                  >> ^!replace "$$$$">> "start delete here... " [T]

                  > If this is a direct paste from your experimental clip the reason it
                  > won't find '$$$$' is, there is no space between the closing quote on
                  > the "$$$$" and the double chevron, >>.
                  >
                  > Instead of "$$$$">> , it should be "$$$$" >>. The clip should work
                  > then.
                  >
                  > I don't understand why you're having trouble, I have none finding
                  > $$$$.

                  The initial problem (I think) is that
                  ^!find "$$$$" was failing to in (say) "$$$$$$$$$".
                  On going back to the Help file I found that a find is by default whole words
                  only! :-( so ... either of:
                  ^!find "$$$$" T
                  ^!find $$$$ T
                  will work just fine. So does:
                  I assume because "[" and "]" are just treated as invalid flags and ignored.

                  Paul - sorry for the irrelevant digression into regexps which now appears to
                  have just been a confusing/complicated way of turning off the "whole words"
                  flag! Hopefully though it introduced you to Regexps which when they *ARE*
                  needed, are *VERY* powerful :-)

                  Regards ... Alec