Re: [Clip] Sent to list. How does my addr get out?

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14 1:31 AM
      Alan C. wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > http://users.cwnet.com/acummi/addresses/email.txt
      >
      > Above, a copy of a email that I just received in private (after I had sent to this list)
      >
      > I am going to leave it posted up there on the internet for a long long time.
      >
      > I do hope that many many spam bots do find it.
      >
      > I don't understand how it is that an addr can get out. It supposed to be sent to the list, then each list member gets it but without my address on it. Right?

      subscribed members see your address in their email as the from address
      ... and can click on reply directly to that

      all email addresses are sanitized in the yahoo groups archives now (they
      didn't use to be) so that anyone reading it online doesn't get your
      address and thus cannot harvest it

      I can say I have an address used regularly (and no this isn't a
      challenge) on yahoo groups that gets virtually no spam.

      You might go to my page here:
      http://htmlfixit.com/cgi-bin/tools/encoded_email_masking.cgi
      and read the linked article about spamming. Most spam currently is
      coming from inclusion of unmasked email addresses on web pages.
      Fortunately yahoogroups doesn't display the emails in messages posted to
      the web archive and thus is not harvestable there.

      These groups are moderated (THANK YOU MODERATORS) and as a result, only
      people proven to be posting on topic are unmoderated. People who join
      these groups to spam are knocked out of the loop before they get
      started. I suppose is one were really slick they could join without
      posting and harvest the addresses from posts, but my experience says
      they aren't (and no that isn't a challenge either).

      I think yahoo has taken great steps to assure that it's lists aren't
      used for spamming purposes (other than by yahoo ... which you can opt
      out of ... but of course they need to pay for this great service
      somehow) and that it isn't exposing your email address to spammers on-line.
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14 1:48 AM
        I meant to copy my reply to off topic. I missed that. I did now ...
        and I would suggest we pick this up over there.

        On further looking, I do see the from address unmasked when logged into
        the group. So I guess anyone could become a member and then set about
        harvesting the from information. Fortunately I am pretty sure (again
        not a challenge) that they currently have not been doing this.

        However non-members do not see the from addresses ... it is masked. So
        only if they took the time to join and then wrote a harvesting script
        that would pull the archive, run it and extract the from's ... too much
        work I guess so far ... thankfully ... would they get something fruitful.

        Example of what you get as a non-member on yahoogroups site:
        From: "A1" <andrew_zito@y...>
        Date: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:43 am
        Subject: IS"G-d" the Big Bang? THE TEMPLE OF REASON

        that is what I get at a random group I don't participate in
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indo-skeptics/message/3516
        so I don't see the from address.
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14 6:40 AM
          Alan C. wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > http://users.cwnet.com/acummi/addresses/email.txt
          >
          > Above, a copy of a email that I just received in private (after I had
          sent to this list)

          > I am going to leave it posted up there on the internet for a long
          long time.

          > I do hope that many many spam bots do find it.
          >
          > I don't understand how it is that an addr can get out. It supposed
          to be sent to the list, then each list member gets it but without my
          address on it. Right?

          Alan,

          I received exactly the same email in the evening of the 13th but I let
          AsA handle it. Our addresses are in the From position. I do agree, we
          shouldn't have received it.

          I didn't 'confirm', my message to the group was posted and I haven't
          received any more like it.

          I do get similar emails at times and they are always marked as spam so
          AsA takes care of them.

          hrs
        • Benjamin Badgley
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14 7:10 AM
            hsavage wrote:
            > Alan C. wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > http://users.cwnet.com/acummi/addresses/email.txt
            > >
            > > Above, a copy of a email that I just received in private (after I had
            > sent to this list)
            > >
            > > I am going to leave it posted up there on the internet for a long
            > long time.
            > >
            > > I do hope that many many spam bots do find it.
            > >
            > > I don't understand how it is that an addr can get out. It supposed
            > to be sent to the list, then each list member gets it but without my
            > address on it. Right?
            >
            > Alan,
            >
            > I received exactly the same email in the evening of the 13th but I let
            > AsA handle it. Our addresses are in the From position. I do agree, we
            > shouldn't have received it.
            >
            > I didn't 'confirm', my message to the group was posted and I haven't
            > received any more like it.
            >
            > I do get similar emails at times and they are always marked as spam so
            > AsA takes care of them.
            >
            > hrs

            It's actually an antispam service I've my email set
            up through. I'll make a minor adjustment and it'll be
            corrected that no one gets these. Sorry for the hassle
            it seems to have caused.

            --
            Benjamin K. Badgley mortecanine@...
            http://writersbbs.com/members/dead_dog/