Strange Bug in Search and Replace (regular expressions)...

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2004
      Hi ntb-clips,

      I've found what I think is a unusual bug in search
      and replace (with regular expressions). I'm hoping that
      Fookes will be able to check this out--also wondering if
      anyone has used regular expressions extensively in
      NoteTab Pro (via Clips), and whether they've had success
      with the feature.

      The problem/bug:

      Use the following search string (as a 'Clip'):

      ^!Replace "\s[\s]+" >> "WHATPLOT" WRA

      It means replace 2 or more spaces (\s) with the string
      "WHATPLOT".

      I've uploaded sample data that demonstrates the bug
      to-->

      The file name is "bug_data_sparse.txt".

      The file is 33 bytes long, with 2 lines. The first line
      contains 4 spaces, followed by the string "Hidden Excluded".
      The second line contains 12 spaces, and that is all.

      Removing one space character from line two causes the
      Replace function to work correctly. Doing a Replace on
      the file without modification, produces a result of
      "WHATPLOTPLOTen Excluded" in the first line, which has
      obliterated the "Hidd" part of "Hidden".

      It's strange because removing just one space from
      the file makes things OK.

      It's bad because the bug is _not_ specific to
      these 33 bytes. In fact, it took a lot of narrowing
      down of the original data file to get it to these few bytes.

      -Steve

      P.S. Overall, NoteTab Pro seems to be a terrific product!!!
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2004
        I've been able to duplicate and verify this behavior as well. There
        are other RegExp problems involving NoteTab, for example not all
        Shorthand Character Classes work the way they should.

        It's been quite awhile ago but I seem to recall Eric saying something
        about the less than perfect RegExp engine NoteTab uses. That it's
        not a NoteTab coded thing, rather NoteTab uses an outside 3rd party
        RegExp engine.

        It also sticks in my craw that Eric said he is looking at using a
        much better RegExp engine in version 5 which we're all anxiously
        waiting for.

        John