RE: Clip Alternative

  • forporph
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 18 10:46 AM
      Clearly I also have a problem posting replies to previous messages,
      so I'll try it as a new post instead.

      I thank you Alan and John for your previous help, your examples work
      just fine.

      So I amalgamated them to mimic more the setup I was using in my own
      clip, and that works fine too.

      But it doesn't work in my own clip. The problem is in the way the
      clip-to-be-called is ^!Set. The examples set from a wizard field, my
      own clip sets from text picked up from the document. So I'm
      wondering if the wizard fields add on one of the codes in x00 thru
      x1F, because nothing different shows when I run Debug with both clips.

      Anyway, here are the modified examples you gave me, and my own clip

      H="temp1 clip call test"
      ^!SetDebug ON
      ^!Set %call%=^?{enter clip=temp2}

      ^!Info Variable A is: ^%a%

      ^!Clip ^%call%

      ^!Info Variable A is: ^%a% and Variable B from the called clip is: ^%
      b%

      H="temp2"
      ; next is the second clip named TEMP2

      ^!Set %b%=^?{Test 2=}

      ^!Info Variable B is: ^%b%

      H="xfind find clip by keyword"
      ^!SetWizardTitle Find clip(s) by keyword
      ^!SetWizardLabel and Execute chosen clip
      ^!Open "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light\Libraries\Math.clb"
      :Ismath
      ^!If "C:\Program Files\NoteTab
      Light\Libraries\Math.clb"=^$GetDocName$ NewSearch Else Ismath
      :NewSearch
      ^!Set %key%=^?{Keyword to find}
      ^!Jump TEXT_START
      :RepeatSearch
      ^!Find ^%key% TI
      ^!Set %res%=^?{0 Execute this clip, 1 repeat same search, 2 New
      Search, 3 Abort}
      ^!If ^%res%=1 RepeatSearch
      ^!If ^%res%=2 NewSearch
      ^!If ^%res%=3 Abort
      :StartLine
      ^!Jump LINE_START
      ^!Select +3
      ^!If "^$GetSelection$"="H="" GotLine
      ^!Jump -1
      ^!Goto StartLine
      :GotLine
      ^!SetDebug ON
      ^!Find " "
      ^!Set %amt%=^$GetCol$
      ^!Dec %amt% 4
      ^!Select LINE
      ^!Set %line%=^$GetSelection$
      ^!Set %clp%="^$StrCopy(^%line%;4;^%amt%)$^%nl%"
      ^!Open "C:\R\statwork\qu.txt"
      :GetQutxt
      ^!If "C:\R\statwork\qu.txt"=^$GetDocName$ next Else GetQutxt
      ^!Clip ^%clp%
      ^!Clip ^%call%
      ^!Info Done
      :Abort
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 18 4:23 PM
        On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:46:54 -0000, forporph wrote:
        [ . . ]
        > [ . . ].  The problem is in the way the
        > clip-to-be-called is ^!Set.  The examples set from a wizard field, my
        > own clip sets from text picked up from the document.  So I'm
        > wondering if the wizard fields add on one of the codes in x00 thru
        > x1F, because nothing different shows when I run Debug with both clips.

        Shouldn't matter. Set is set irregardless of whether wiz field or snagged text from doc to do so (unless you happen to be snagging a weird character from your sourced doc).

        I've never had nor have I ever heard of a wiz field generating or adding on something that wasn't already there.

        For myself I've decided that Debug has its limitations. I rarely use it. Instead of using debug, I place stop points or break points in the clip (^!Goto end). Also I focus on a modular design of a clip; this means the clip is breakable into smaller pieces for instance each piece can be tested separately -- I was able to do that with your clip (and, as to my method of debugging, I inserted several ^!delay and an ^!Info box or two and a stop point ^!Goto end ).

        It appears that you find a word in a clip then jump upwards until you've found the header and then go to the gotline section of your clip. If so, then I did a few mods that made that happen for me. As the clip is how I've enclosed it below, when I run it, now can visually be seen/followed what the clip does. It looks **to me** that it is very likely that the clip is doing just as you have instructed it to do (that is, unless I have misunderstood what your clip's objective is).

        As your clip is next enclosed with my mods, the clip via stop point, ends with an info box displaying the contents of what you have achieved as far as the %clp% variable is concerned. Also can visual aid during the clip's run due to several ^!Delay I inserted. These things/practices help me in clip writing. Whether you do or don't accept or use of them is your choice.

        H="xfind find clip by keyword"
        ^!SetWizardTitle Find clip(s) by keyword
        ^!SetWizardLabel and Execute chosen clip
        ^!Open "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light\Libraries\Math.clb"
        ;^!Open C:\programs\NOTETA~1\LIBRAR~1\xtstjunk.clb
        :Ismath
        ;^!If C:\programs\NOTETA~1\LIBRAR~1\xtstjunk.clb=^$GetDocName$ NewSearch Else Ismath
        :NewSearch
        ^!Set %key%=^?{Keyword to find}
        ^!Jump TEXT_START
        :RepeatSearch
        ^!Find ^%key% TI
        ^!Set %res%=^?{0 Execute this clip, 1 repeat same search, 2 New Search, 3 Abort}
        ^!If ^%res%=1 RepeatSearch
        ^!If ^%res%=2 NewSearch
        ^!If ^%res%=3 Abort
        :StartLine
        ^!Jump LINE_START
        ;^!Select +3
        ^!Select +2
        ^!Delay 15
        ;^!If ""^$GetSelection$ = H=" GotLine""
        ^!IfSame "^$GetSelection$" "H=" GotLine
        ^!Jump -1
        ^!Goto StartLine
        :GotLine
        ^!Info just now entered GotLine
        ;^!SetDebug ON
        ^!Find " "
        ^!Delay 15
        ^!Set %amt%=^$GetCol$
        ^!Dec %amt% 4
        ^!Select LINE
        ^!Set %line%=^$GetSelection$
        ^!Set %clp%="^$StrCopy(^%line%;4;^%amt%)$^%nl%"
        ^!SetWizardTitle contents of clp variable
        ^!Info ^%clp%
        ^!Goto end

        ;-----end of clip----------end-----

        --
        Alan.
      • graham lawrence
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 19 11:51 AM
          Alan, thank you for all your help. You are right that it is not something
          that the wizard field does, because they show something for whatever values
          are entered into them.

          I know the clip gets what its supposed to get and delivers it. I even tried
          doing

          ^!Set %call%=^?{=^%clp%}
          ^!Clip ^%call%

          which looks perfect, exactly as it should appear, but it still skips
          straight over the ^!Clip command without doing anything.

          So I posted the clip name to the clipboard and invoked a Quick macro to fire
          up the clip instead, and that gets the job done.

          Thanks again,

          Graham Lawrence

        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 19 1:25 PM
            Hi Graham,

            At 11:51 AM 3/19/04 -0800, you wrote:
            >Alan, thank you for all your help. You are right that it is not something
            >that the wizard field does, because they show something for whatever values
            >are entered into them.
            >
            >I know the clip gets what its supposed to get and delivers it. I even tried
            >doing
            >
            >^!Set %call%=^?{=^%clp%}
            >^!Clip ^%call%
            >
            >which looks perfect, exactly as it should appear, but it still skips
            >straight over the ^!Clip command without doing anything.

            You can do what you want perfectly but you must include the command in the
            variable as well as the name of trhe clip being called. Here is the
            example and I know it works because I tested it.

            ---------< start clip >---------
            H="Grahm's Clip"
            ^!Set %call%=Clip ^?{Select your subclip=_Subclip|Subclip2}
            ^!^%call%
            ^!Info Returned
            ---------< end clip >-----------

            ---------< start clip >---------
            H="Subclip"
            ^!Info Subclip
            ---------< end clip >-----------

            ---------< start clip >---------
            H="Subclip2"
            ^!Info Subclip2
            ---------< end clip >-----------

            Just add the three clips to the same library and run the first one and
            select one and it will be run and return to the main clip. If you type in
            a name that is not there, it will just skip over the call and go straight
            to the return.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 19 1:43 PM
              Hi Graham,

              There is one problem that you should be aware of. The name of the subclip
              MUST be enclosed in quotes if it has spaces in it or it will fail. ^!Clip
              "Subclip One" will work but ^!Clip Subclip One will fail. The entry is
              case insensitive so you do not have to worry about getting the caps right.

              I modified my clip by placing quotes around the wizard and now it works
              with or without spaces in the subclip name.

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 19 5:11 PM
                On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:51:10 -0800, graham lawrence wrote:
                [ . . ]

                >�^!Set %call%=^?{=^%clp%}
                >�^!Clip ^%call%
                >
                >�which looks perfect, exactly as it should appear, but it still skips
                >�straight over the ^!Clip command without doing anything.

                Earlier in the clip, had anything been set into the variable ^%clp% ?

                Any variable is nothing until something has been set into it. With the exception, that is, of the Noetab pre defined variables and your clp variable is not one of those. ^%EMPTY% and ^%NL% are a couple. There's more.

                H="junk11"
                ^!Set %clp%=^?{=junk10b}
                ^!Set %call%=^?{=^%clp%}
                ^!Info clp: ^%clp%^%NL%^%NL%call: ^%call%
                ^!Clip ^%call%
                ^!Info end

                H="_junk10b"
                ^!Info Hi there from clip junk10b

                Running those, and just say ok to each wizard does call up the second which is the called clip.

                I tend to avoid the use of ^ inside of a wizard -- try it with a square bracket wizard, for instance.

                By the way, the other day, your clip looked marvelous. And I thought it an interesting idea to find a keyword in a clip then jump upward until the grasp of its title.

                But I didn't totally grasp the rest of what you were doing. And I still don't grasp, don't understand what you are doing that brings on the need for these wizards in this fashion. Usually there are six or more different ways in which to accomplish any given task with Notetab clip.

                Would you mind sharing a bit on how and what the result is -> like, are you find a clip via a keyword search then launch the found clip? Or, etc. etc. Probably suggested to keep it short as it's off topic unless it's in the form of comments included within clip code. Thanks.

                >�So I posted the clip name to the clipboard and invoked a Quick macro to fire
                >�up the clip instead, and that gets the job done.

                Speaking of multiple various ways in which to accomplish any given task . . . :-)

                --
                Alan.
              • graham lawrence
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 21 12:28 PM
                  I have over 200 clips now, and lose track of their names. They all do
                  essentially the same thing, throw up a wizard field for me to enter problem
                  parameters, feed these parameters into the math engine R, call the
                  appropriate R script for the type of problem involved, then exit to another
                  clip that captures the R script's output and pastes it back into Notetab.

                  So this clip finds the desired clip by keyword when I can't recall the
                  clip's name, and should then execute the found clip. But Notetab skips the
                  ^!Clip instruction for some reason. I've given up on it and instead have it
                  call a macro that feeds the name from the clipboard to Notetab to run in the
                  normal manner.

                  If you are interested, I really recommend QuickMacros (search for
                  quickm13.zip). It handles everything in I/O manipulation that Notetab
                  doesn't (Windows key, mouse manipulation etc).

                • graham lawrence
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22 10:59 AM
                    "Speaking of multiple various ways in which to accomplish any given task . .
                    ."

                    Good of you to remind me of this Alan, for there is more than one way to
                    call a clip too, and the other way works, entirely in Notetab.

                    So here, and should now work straight-out-of-the-box so to speak, if your
                    clips always have the first line format
                    H="clipname optional other words"
                    ie at least one space following clipname

                    the following clip will find and execute any other clip by any keyword or
                    character sequence anywhere in the text of the clip

                    H="xfind find clip by keyword"
                    ^!SetWizardTitle Find clip(s) by keyword
                    ^!SetWizardLabel and Execute chosen clip
                    ^!Set %doc%=^$GetDocName$
                    ^!Set %lib%="^$GetLibraryPath$^?{LibraryName, no .clb=Math}.clb"
                    ^!Open "^%lib%"
                    :Ismath
                    ^!If ^%lib%=^$GetDocName$ NewSearch Else Ismath
                    :NewSearch
                    ^!Set %key%=^?{Keyword to find}
                    ^!Jump TEXT_START
                    :RepeatSearch
                    ^!Find ^%key% TI
                    ^!Set %res%=^?{0 Execute this clip, 1 repeat same search, 2 New Search, 3
                    Abort=0}
                    ^!If ^%res%=1 RepeatSearch
                    ^!If ^%res%=2 NewSearch
                    ^!If ^%res%=3 EXIT
                    :StartLine
                    ^!Jump LINE_START
                    ^!Select +3
                    ^!If "^$GetSelection$"="H="" GotLine
                    ^!Jump -1
                    ^!Goto StartLine
                    :GotLine
                    ^!Find " "
                    ^!Set %amt%=^$GetCol$
                    ^!Dec %amt% 4
                    ^!Select LINE
                    ^!Set %line%=^$GetSelection$
                    ^!Set %clp%=^$StrCopy(^%line%;4;^%amt%)$
                    ^!Close "^%lib%"
                    ^!Open "^%doc%"
                    :GetQutxt
                    ^!If ^%doc%=^$GetDocName$ next Else GetQutxt
                    ^!ShowClipbook TRUE
                    ^%clp%
                    ^!Keyboard F2

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 22 11:23 AM
                      Hi,
                      I am just starting to dabble in writing clips. The next question I am
                      likely to send is likely to be about something I am trying to do that is
                      not working. For now, though, I am confused about something. When should I
                      use [] and when should I use {}?

                      Thanks.

                      Jim

                      James D Homme, Manager, Assistive Technology,
                      Bender Consulting Services, Inc.
                      Phone: 412-787-8567,
                      E-mail: jhomme@...
                      Web: http://www.benderconsult.com/
                      Competitive Jobs Mean Freedom
                    • james.homme@highmark.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 22 12:44 PM
                        Hi,
                        I plan to make this clip smarter after it basically works, but right now,
                        Notetab says there's a syntax error in it and I can't spot it. Can someone
                        please help?

                        ^!Set %Columns%= ^?[Number of columns=2]
                        ^!Prompt Number of columns is ^%Columns%
                        ^!If ^$GetSelSize$ = 0 ^!GoTo End
                        ^!Select PARAGRAPHS
                        ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
                        ^!SetArray %Items%=^$GetSelection$
                        ^!Set %Index%=1
                        ^!Set %ItemsCount%=^%Items0%
                        ^!Prompt Items count is ^%ItemsCount%
                        ^!Set %ColsCount%=^%Columns%
                        ^!Prompt Cols count is ^%ColsCount%
                        :StartLoop
                        ^!Prompt top of loop
                        ^!Prompt Index is now ^%Index%
                        ^!Prompt Cols count is now ^%ColsCount%
                        ^!If ^%Index% > ^%ItemsCount% EndLoop
                        ^!Prompt Current item is ^%Items^%Index%%
                        ^!Set %Line%=^$StrTrim("^%Items^%Index%%")$
                        ^!Prompt Line is ^%Line%
                        ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%Line%")$ Next ELSE Skip
                        ^!If ^%Index% = ^%ItemsCount% EndLoop
                        ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty("^%Line%")$ ^!Set %Line%=^P<TD>^P^%Line%^p</TD>^P
                        ^!Prompt Line is ^%Line%
                        ^!Prompt Cols count is ^%ColsCount%
                        ^!Prompt Columns is ^%Columns%
                        ^!if ^%ColsCount% = ^%Columns% ^!Set %Line%=<TR>^P^%Line%
                        ^!If ^%ColsCount% = 1 ^!Set %Line%=^%Line%</TR>^P
                        ^!Prompt Line is ^%Line%
                        ^!Set %ListStr%=^%ListStr%^%Line%
                        ^!Prompt List str is ^%ListStr%
                        ; I think it's saying the error is right after this line.
                        ^!If ^%ColsCount% > 1 NEXT Else SKIP
                        ^!Dec ^%ColsCount%
                        ^!Set %ColsCount%=^%Columns%
                        ^!Inc %Index%
                        ^!Goto StartLoop

                        :EndLoop
                        ^!InsertHtml <TABLE>^P^%ListStr%</TABLE>^P
                        James D Homme, Manager, Assistive Technology,
                        Bender Consulting Services, Inc.
                        Phone: 412-787-8567,
                        E-mail: jhomme@...
                        Web: http://www.benderconsult.com/
                        Competitive Jobs Mean Freedom
                      • John Mitchell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 22 1:10 PM
                          James

                          Near the end of your clip, the statement..

                          ^!Dec ^%ColsCount%

                          ..should be

                          ^!Dec %ColsCount%

                          Regards, John Mitchell

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Larry Thomas
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 22 1:40 PM
                            Hi Jim,

                            At 02:23 PM 3/22/04 -0500, you wrote:

                            >Hi,
                            >I am just starting to dabble in writing clips. The next question I am
                            >likely to send is likely to be about something I am trying to do that is
                            >not working. For now, though, I am confused about something. When should I
                            >use [] and when should I use {}?
                            >
                            >Thanks.
                            >
                            >Jim

                            Go to the menu bar and select Help/Help Topics. Now go down the outline
                            list on the contents tab and select:

                            Reference Information
                            Tools
                            Editor Clipbook
                            Clip Programming

                            Now near the bottom of this page select: Clip Language - Clip Wizard and
                            Fields. This page starts right off describing what you are asking about.

                            Regards,

                            Larry
                            lrt@... e¿ê
                          • Don - htmlfixit.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 22 6:00 PM
                              >>When should I
                              >>use [] and when should I use {}?

                              one runs at the start of your clip [] before other functions and the
                              other runs {} when it is encounter in the line by line run ... so it
                              depends if you want it run up front or later ...