Re: [Clip] Checkboxes for selecting folders AND files

  • Dick Gascoigne
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
      > If this is for backup only and sending a list to Winzip, how about
      > building a wizard to display and select only files with the archive bit
      > set and after saving reset the archive bit.

      I had planned to do that, after doing a clip that will backup everything.
      One clip will backup all files (full backup)
      Another will backup only Archive=A (incremental)

      They'll both be driven by a GUI clip that lets the user select options:
      full or incremental, output filename, etc., and presents a list of folders &
      files with checkboxes to select which get archived.

      It is that list part that is causing me difficulty. There may well be over
      1,000 files, in a multi-level tree structure. Can't even look at them all,
      let alone click them. So, I'd like the user to be able to select a folder's
      box, in which case it's files and sub-folders will be added to a backup
      list. Or to click on a foldername to open the sub-folders and select, etc
      etc. (Sometimes, individual folders or files are not to be backed-up).

      There doesn't seem to be a good way to display the folder tree structure,
      with checkboxes for the folders and files, AND the ability to "drill down"
      through to sub-folders.

      Or ... is there?

      Dick in Singapore

      Message 2 of 14 , May 17, 2004
        I was reading through old lists and came across this conversation.
        I was wondering if you ever got this to work, Dick, because it sounds
        fabulous!
        If you did, would you share?

        Thanks,
        Christine

        > If this is for backup only and sending a list to Winzip, how about
        building a wizard to display and select only files with the archive bit set
        and after saving reset the archive bit.

        I had planned to do that, after doing a clip that will backup everything.
        One clip will backup all files (full backup)
        Another will backup only Archive=A (incremental)

        They'll both be driven by a GUI clip that lets the user select options:
        full or incremental, output filename, etc., and presents a list of folders &
        files with checkboxes to select which get archived.

        It is that list part that is causing me difficulty. There may well be over
        1,000 files, in a multi-level tree structure. Can't even look at them all,
        let alone click them. So, I'd like the user to be able to select a folder's
        box, in which case it's files and sub-folders will be added to a backup
        list. Or to click on a foldername to open the sub-folders and select, etc
        etc. (Sometimes, individual folders or files are not to be backed-up).

        There doesn't seem to be a good way to display the folder tree structure,
        with checkboxes for the folders and files, AND the ability to "drill down"
        through to sub-folders.

        Or ... is there?

        Dick in Singapore
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2004
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" <christine@e...> wrote:
          > I was reading through old lists and came across this conversation.
          > I was wondering if you ever got this to work, Dick, because it
          sounds
          > fabulous!
          > If you did, would you share?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Christine

          I'm not Dick Christine, or at least I don't think I am <G> but rather
          than creating a long extensive clip to do something like this, why
          not use a simple clip and the powerful command line program called
          xxcopy?

          For example here is a clip that would copy only the files with the
          archive bit set in the NoteTab Pro folder (and its subfolders) on the
          C:\ drive to the F:\ drive, maintaining the directory structure.
          After copying, the archive bit is reset by xxcopy.

          ^!Dos xxcopy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro\" "F:\" /BU/B0/M

          ^!Wait

          There is a freeware version of xxcopy For non-networked systems
          available at:

          http://www.xxcopy.com/

          John
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2004
            I should also mention that plan old XCOPY that comes with Windows
            would work for this as well. I'm just used to using XXCOPY instead
            of XCOPY, it's like using NoteTab as opposed to Notepad. :)

            John

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...>

            > I'm not Dick Christine, or at least I don't think I am <G> but
            rather
            > than creating a long extensive clip to do something like this, why
            > not use a simple clip and the powerful command line program called
            > xxcopy?
            >
            > For example here is a clip that would copy only the files with the
            > archive bit set in the NoteTab Pro folder (and its subfolders) on
            the
            > C:\ drive to the F:\ drive, maintaining the directory structure.
            > After copying, the archive bit is reset by xxcopy.
            >

            > ^!Dos xxcopy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro\" "F:\" /BU/B0/M
            >
            > ^!Wait
            >

            > There is a freeware version of xxcopy For non-networked systems
            > available at:
            >
            > http://www.xxcopy.com/
            >
            > John
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2004
              I don't know Dick.

              But I respect his opinion.

              --
              ``

              Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

              Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
              If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
              and tell us what REALLY happened.
              ~~~~
            • Dick Gascoigne
              Message 6 of 14 , May 17, 2004
                Christine -
                I am happy to confirm to John Zeman that, indeed, he is NOT Dick.

                I really liked the idea of what I was doing in NoteTab, and had fun putting
                it together. But, in the middle of building it, I came across a program
                that does exactly what I wanted to do -- and more -- and better. SyncBack,
                by Michael Leaver. Rather than re-invent the wheel (and likely come up with
                a square one), I've been using that program, and love it.

                Take a look at www.syncback.com for download

                You can backup or synchronize, compress or not, automatically run other
                programs before or after syncback, schedule auto-backup, etc.

                I've got it set up to Sync my most dynamic folders frequently. The update
                only happens if the files have changed. Before it does the Sync, it runs
                Erunt to backup the registry.

                Weekly, I have it do a full backup.

                Let me know if you need any help.

                Dick in Singapore
                (Not to be confused with John Zeman)

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 17, 2004
                    Christine wrote:

                    > Well, I don't know Dick, either, but he sounded like a pretty good guy!
                    I like to think so ... just have trouble getting people to agree with me,
                    sigh.

                    > I can't believe what I'm asking is as difficult on a home network as it's
                    so far proved to be.
                    Yes, yes. My feeling exactly. I researched at least 1/2doz backup
                    programs - both free and fee. Tried 3 of them that had demos. But didn't
                    feel that any came close to what I wanted to do (as simple as I thought my
                    requirements are). No compression, no file-level selection or filtering,
                    restrictive destination media, etc

                    I don't know how I stumbled across SyncBack, but immediately adopted it.
                    Also, I sent them an email with a question and suggestion, and got an
                    immediate and effective response.

                    From their www.syncback.com web page, I see they are planning a SyncBack Pro
                    for fee, but will continue offering the freeware version. The freeware is
                    so comprehensive that I'm not sure what they'd add to Pro to induce people
                    to pay.

                    BTW: the author of SyncBack is a brand new father, so don't forget to click
                    on the Help > Donate button !!

                    Dick, a pretty good guy
                    (not REALLY good, just pretty good)
                  • John Zeman
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 18, 2004
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Gascoigne"
                      <dick.gascoigne@a...> wrote:
                      > Christine wrote:
                      >
                      > > Well, I don't know Dick, either, but he sounded like a pretty
                      good guy!
                      > I like to think so ... just have trouble getting people to agree
                      with me,
                      > sigh.
                      >
                      > > I can't believe what I'm asking is as difficult on a home network
                      as it's
                      > so far proved to be.
                      > Yes, yes. My feeling exactly. I researched at least 1/2doz backup
                      > programs - both free and fee. Tried 3 of them that had demos. But
                      didn't
                      > feel that any came close to what I wanted to do (as simple as I
                      thought my
                      > requirements are). No compression, no file-level selection or
                      filtering,
                      > restrictive destination media, etc
                      >
                      > I don't know how I stumbled across SyncBack, but immediately
                      adopted it.
                      > Also, I sent them an email with a question and suggestion, and got
                      an
                      > immediate and effective response.
                      >
                      > From their www.syncback.com web page, I see they are planning a
                      SyncBack Pro
                      > for fee, but will continue offering the freeware version. The
                      freeware is
                      > so comprehensive that I'm not sure what they'd add to Pro to induce
                      people
                      > to pay.
                      >
                      > BTW: the author of SyncBack is a brand new father, so don't forget
                      to click
                      > on the Help > Donate button !!
                      >
                      > Dick, a pretty good guy
                      > (not REALLY good, just pretty good)

                      Hi Christine, this is NotDick again :)

                      As IsDick (the pretty good guy) did with syncback, I can also vouch
                      for the almost daily feedback by the authors of xxcopy in their
                      forum. They have superb product support. I guess it really comes
                      down to what each person is comfortable with. Myself I prefer
                      command line utilities quite often simply for their speed. I've
                      never counted the total number of clip commands and functions in
                      NoteTab, but there's certainly a lot of them. As pretty much
                      everyone in this forum knows, with so many NoteTab tools available in
                      the clip language virtually anything is possible when it comes to
                      processing text in NoteTab. Likewise for xxcopy and file
                      processing. I have counted the options (switches) available for it,
                      and currently there's over 250 of them. Obviously with so many
                      options for selecting files, folders, deleting, etc, it's a
                      tremendously complicated but exceptionally powerful file management
                      tool. With xxcopy I'm doing file management tasks that I never
                      dreamed would be possible, and it performs those tasks in record
                      time. For example:

                      I do a total backup of my primary computer to an external hard drive
                      every day, and in general the total time for that backup is less than
                      5 minutes.

                      I can write a short clip that runs xxcopy to delete all the empty
                      folders on my hard drive in moments, (if that's what I want to do).

                      I have a clip that runs xxcopy to move all the photos on my digital
                      camera picture card into my digital photo folder on my hard drive.

                      Anyway you get the idea. Xxcopy works for me NotDick, syncback works
                      for IsDick, and I'm sure there's some program out there that will do
                      just what you want. And of course you can do many common file
                      management tasks directly from NoteTab, if that's what you want. :)

                      John aka NotDick
                    • Christine
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 18, 2004
                        <LOL>
                        I'll give them both a shot. I'm pretty comfortable with command line stuff,
                        so perhaps a combination might work for me.
                        Thank you isDick and notDick. It's always easier to work with
                        recommendations that to reinvent the wheel. :)

                        Christine