Checkboxes for selecting folders AND files

  • Dick Gascoigne
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
      I want to write a clip to drive Winzip to backup folders and files.

      I would like to display a checkbox dialog with a list of folders & files.

      If the user selects a folder's checkbox, that folder path is put in an array
      element.
      If the user clicks on the folder name (instead of the checkbox), the folder
      should open to show sub-folders and files. Which the user can check, or
      click to open.

      The result should be an array of folder and file paths that then could be
      fed to WinZip to add to a backup.zip

      ------------
      I've checked the archives, and the DirStuff examples, but don't see quite
      what I'm looking for.

      My alternative may be make a loop, allowing the user to select one element
      at a time. But that sounds awkward and time-consuming.

      Any ideas (sample clip even better) :-)

      Dick in Singapore
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Gascoigne"
        <dick.gascoigne@a...> wrote:
        > I want to write a clip to drive Winzip to backup folders and files.
        >
        > I would like to display a checkbox dialog with a list of folders &
        files.

        > If the user selects a folder's checkbox, that folder path is put in
        an array
        > element.
        > If the user clicks on the folder name (instead of the checkbox),
        the folder
        > should open to show sub-folders and files. Which the user can
        check, or
        > click to open.
        >
        > The result should be an array of folder and file paths that then
        could be
        > fed to WinZip to add to a backup.zip
        >
        > ------------
        > I've checked the archives, and the DirStuff examples, but don't see
        quite
        > what I'm looking for.
        >
        > My alternative may be make a loop, allowing the user to select one
        element
        > at a time. But that sounds awkward and time-consuming.
        >
        > Any ideas (sample clip even better) :-)
        >
        > Dick in Singapore

        A listbox clip wizard is NoteTab's equivalent to a checkbox.

        I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for Dick, but perhaps
        it will put you on the right track to get you started. It is only
        intended to serve as a basic example.

        The following uses a listbox clip wizard to choose either a specific
        folder name (which will display in an ^!info box) or assigns the
        executable files in the C:\Program Files\ folder (and subfolders) to
        an array which is also displayed in an ^!info box.

        John

        ;===================================

        ; SET FULL PATH TO PROCESS
        ; (PRECEDE WITH A + TO INCLUDE SUBFOLDERS
        ^!Set %PATH%=+C:\Program Files\

        ; SET TYPE OF FILE (WILDCARDS OK)
        ^!Set %TYPE%=*.exe

        :Go
        ; NEXT LINE IS LONG
        ^!Set %X%=^?{(T=L;H=3) Choose Folder Name or Folder Path=Folder
        Name|Folder Path 1^=c:\temp\|Folder Path 2^=C:\My Documents\}

        ^!If "^%X%" = "^%EMPTY%" Go

        ^!If "^%X%" = "Folder Name" DoName

        ^!Info The folder path is:^%X%

        ^!GoTo End

        :DoName
        ^!StatusShow WORKING...PLEASE WAIT

        ; CREATE ARRAY OF FILES FROM FOLDER PATH
        ^!SetArray %FILES%=^$GetFiles("^%PATH%";^%TYPE%;;Name)$

        ^!StatusShow The EXE files in ^%PATH% are in an array delimited by
        spaces between the "file names"

        ^!Delay 10

        ^!Info [L]^%FILES%
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
          I need to clarify something I said last time Dick that's not exactly
          correct.

          A NoteTab listbox is the equivalent to a "one or the other" kind of
          checkbox where only one choice can be made from a list of items.

          An actual NoteTab checkbox allows a person to check any, all, or none
          of a number of items in a list.

          And a combobox is like a listbox but also allows you to type
          something in.

          With the way your question was worded, it sounded like you wanted to
          choose one item from a list and then depending on what that item is,
          to do a specific action. That's why I said things the way I did
          previously.

          Sorry for creating any confusion there..

          John
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
            Dick Gascoigne wrote:

            > I want to write a clip to drive Winzip to backup folders and files.
            >
            > I would like to display a checkbox dialog with a list of folders & files.
            >
            > If the user selects a folder's checkbox, that folder path is put in
            an array
            > element.
            > If the user clicks on the folder name (instead of the checkbox), the
            folder
            > should open to show sub-folders and files. Which the user can check, or
            > click to open.
            >
            > The result should be an array of folder and file paths that then could be
            > fed to WinZip to add to a backup.zip

            Dick,

            If this is for backup only and sending a list to Winzip, how about
            building a wizard to display and select only files with the archive bit
            set and after saving reset the archive bit.

            This would pick only the files changed since last backup. If no files
            are changed none would be selected.

            I built a clip on this order, to copy archived files to CD, I just don't
            Zip them.

            hrs
          • Dick Gascoigne
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
              > If this is for backup only and sending a list to Winzip, how about
              > building a wizard to display and select only files with the archive bit
              > set and after saving reset the archive bit.

              I had planned to do that, after doing a clip that will backup everything.
              One clip will backup all files (full backup)
              Another will backup only Archive=A (incremental)

              They'll both be driven by a GUI clip that lets the user select options:
              full or incremental, output filename, etc., and presents a list of folders &
              files with checkboxes to select which get archived.

              It is that list part that is causing me difficulty. There may well be over
              1,000 files, in a multi-level tree structure. Can't even look at them all,
              let alone click them. So, I'd like the user to be able to select a folder's
              box, in which case it's files and sub-folders will be added to a backup
              list. Or to click on a foldername to open the sub-folders and select, etc
              etc. (Sometimes, individual folders or files are not to be backed-up).

              There doesn't seem to be a good way to display the folder tree structure,
              with checkboxes for the folders and files, AND the ability to "drill down"
              through to sub-folders.

              Or ... is there?

              Dick in Singapore

              > > I want to write a clip to drive Winzip to backup folders and files.
              > >
              > > I would like to display a checkbox dialog with a list of folders &
              files.

              > > If the user selects a folder's checkbox, that folder path is put in
              > an array
              > > element.
              > > If the user clicks on the folder name (instead of the checkbox), the
              > folder
              > > should open to show sub-folders and files. Which the user can check,
              or
              > > click to open.
              > >
              > > The result should be an array of folder and file paths that then could
              be
              > > fed to WinZip to add to a backup.zip
              >
              > Dick,
              >
              > If this is for backup only and sending a list to Winzip, how about
              > building a wizard to display and select only files with the archive bit
              > set and after saving reset the archive bit.
              >
              > This would pick only the files changed since last backup. If no files
              > are changed none would be selected.
              >
              > I built a clip on this order, to copy archived files to CD, I just don't
              > Zip them.
              >
              > hrs
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Christine
              Message 6 of 14 , May 17 8:07 AM
                I was reading through old lists and came across this conversation.
                I was wondering if you ever got this to work, Dick, because it sounds
                fabulous!
                If you did, would you share?

                Thanks,
                Christine

                Message 7 of 14 , May 17 2:43 PM
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" <christine@e...> wrote:
                  > I was reading through old lists and came across this conversation.
                  > I was wondering if you ever got this to work, Dick, because it
                  sounds
                  > fabulous!
                  > If you did, would you share?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Christine

                  I'm not Dick Christine, or at least I don't think I am <G> but rather
                  than creating a long extensive clip to do something like this, why
                  not use a simple clip and the powerful command line program called
                  xxcopy?

                  For example here is a clip that would copy only the files with the
                  archive bit set in the NoteTab Pro folder (and its subfolders) on the
                  C:\ drive to the F:\ drive, maintaining the directory structure.
                  After copying, the archive bit is reset by xxcopy.

                  ^!Dos xxcopy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro\" "F:\" /BU/B0/M

                  ^!Wait

                  There is a freeware version of xxcopy For non-networked systems
                  available at:

                  http://www.xxcopy.com/

                  John
                • John Zeman
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 17 3:03 PM
                    I should also mention that plan old XCOPY that comes with Windows
                    would work for this as well. I'm just used to using XXCOPY instead
                    of XCOPY, it's like using NoteTab as opposed to Notepad. :)

                    John

                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...>

                    > I'm not Dick Christine, or at least I don't think I am <G> but
                    rather
                    > than creating a long extensive clip to do something like this, why
                    > not use a simple clip and the powerful command line program called
                    > xxcopy?
                    >
                    > For example here is a clip that would copy only the files with the
                    > archive bit set in the NoteTab Pro folder (and its subfolders) on
                    the
                    > C:\ drive to the F:\ drive, maintaining the directory structure.
                    > After copying, the archive bit is reset by xxcopy.
                    >

                    > ^!Dos xxcopy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro\" "F:\" /BU/B0/M
                    >
                    > ^!Wait
                    >

                    > There is a freeware version of xxcopy For non-networked systems
                    > available at:
                    >
                    > http://www.xxcopy.com/
                    >
                    > John
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 17 8:06 PM
                      I don't know Dick.

                      But I respect his opinion.

                      --
                      ``

                      Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                      Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
                      If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
                      and tell us what REALLY happened.
                      ~~~~
                    • Dick Gascoigne
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 17 8:07 PM
                        Christine -
                        I am happy to confirm to John Zeman that, indeed, he is NOT Dick.

                        I really liked the idea of what I was doing in NoteTab, and had fun putting
                        it together. But, in the middle of building it, I came across a program
                        that does exactly what I wanted to do -- and more -- and better. SyncBack,
                        by Michael Leaver. Rather than re-invent the wheel (and likely come up with
                        a square one), I've been using that program, and love it.

                        Take a look at www.syncback.com for download

                        You can backup or synchronize, compress or not, automatically run other
                        programs before or after syncback, schedule auto-backup, etc.

                        I've got it set up to Sync my most dynamic folders frequently. The update
                        only happens if the files have changed. Before it does the Sync, it runs
                        Erunt to backup the registry.

                        Weekly, I have it do a full backup.

                        Let me know if you need any help.

                        Dick in Singapore
                        (Not to be confused with John Zeman)

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 17 11:42 PM
                            Christine wrote:

                            > Well, I don't know Dick, either, but he sounded like a pretty good guy!
                            I like to think so ... just have trouble getting people to agree with me,
                            sigh.

                            > I can't believe what I'm asking is as difficult on a home network as it's
                            so far proved to be.
                            Yes, yes. My feeling exactly. I researched at least 1/2doz backup
                            programs - both free and fee. Tried 3 of them that had demos. But didn't
                            feel that any came close to what I wanted to do (as simple as I thought my
                            requirements are). No compression, no file-level selection or filtering,
                            restrictive destination media, etc

                            I don't know how I stumbled across SyncBack, but immediately adopted it.
                            Also, I sent them an email with a question and suggestion, and got an
                            immediate and effective response.

                            From their www.syncback.com web page, I see they are planning a SyncBack Pro
                            for fee, but will continue offering the freeware version. The freeware is
                            so comprehensive that I'm not sure what they'd add to Pro to induce people
                            to pay.

                            BTW: the author of SyncBack is a brand new father, so don't forget to click
                            on the Help > Donate button !!

                            Dick, a pretty good guy
                            (not REALLY good, just pretty good)
                          • John Zeman
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 18 5:19 AM
                              <dick.gascoigne@a...> wrote:
                              > Christine wrote:
                              >
                              > > Well, I don't know Dick, either, but he sounded like a pretty
                              good guy!
                              > I like to think so ... just have trouble getting people to agree
                              with me,
                              > sigh.
                              >
                              > > I can't believe what I'm asking is as difficult on a home network
                              as it's
                              > so far proved to be.
                              > Yes, yes. My feeling exactly. I researched at least 1/2doz backup
                              > programs - both free and fee. Tried 3 of them that had demos. But
                              didn't
                              > feel that any came close to what I wanted to do (as simple as I
                              thought my
                              > requirements are). No compression, no file-level selection or
                              filtering,
                              > restrictive destination media, etc
                              >
                              > I don't know how I stumbled across SyncBack, but immediately
                              adopted it.
                              > Also, I sent them an email with a question and suggestion, and got
                              an
                              > immediate and effective response.
                              >
                              > From their www.syncback.com web page, I see they are planning a
                              SyncBack Pro
                              > for fee, but will continue offering the freeware version. The
                              freeware is
                              > so comprehensive that I'm not sure what they'd add to Pro to induce
                              people
                              > to pay.
                              >
                              > BTW: the author of SyncBack is a brand new father, so don't forget
                              to click
                              > on the Help > Donate button !!
                              >
                              > Dick, a pretty good guy
                              > (not REALLY good, just pretty good)

                              Hi Christine, this is NotDick again :)

                              As IsDick (the pretty good guy) did with syncback, I can also vouch
                              for the almost daily feedback by the authors of xxcopy in their
                              forum. They have superb product support. I guess it really comes
                              down to what each person is comfortable with. Myself I prefer
                              command line utilities quite often simply for their speed. I've
                              never counted the total number of clip commands and functions in
                              NoteTab, but there's certainly a lot of them. As pretty much
                              everyone in this forum knows, with so many NoteTab tools available in
                              the clip language virtually anything is possible when it comes to
                              processing text in NoteTab. Likewise for xxcopy and file
                              processing. I have counted the options (switches) available for it,
                              and currently there's over 250 of them. Obviously with so many
                              options for selecting files, folders, deleting, etc, it's a
                              tremendously complicated but exceptionally powerful file management
                              tool. With xxcopy I'm doing file management tasks that I never
                              dreamed would be possible, and it performs those tasks in record
                              time. For example:

                              I do a total backup of my primary computer to an external hard drive
                              every day, and in general the total time for that backup is less than
                              5 minutes.

                              I can write a short clip that runs xxcopy to delete all the empty
                              folders on my hard drive in moments, (if that's what I want to do).

                              I have a clip that runs xxcopy to move all the photos on my digital
                              camera picture card into my digital photo folder on my hard drive.

                              Anyway you get the idea. Xxcopy works for me NotDick, syncback works
                              for IsDick, and I'm sure there's some program out there that will do
                              just what you want. And of course you can do many common file
                              management tasks directly from NoteTab, if that's what you want. :)

                              John aka NotDick
                            • Christine
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 18 7:39 AM
                                <LOL>
                                I'll give them both a shot. I'm pretty comfortable with command line stuff,
                                so perhaps a combination might work for me.
                                Thank you isDick and notDick. It's always easier to work with
                                recommendations that to reinvent the wheel. :)

                                Christine