Re: [Clip] ExamDiff Comparison Clip

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      At 03:19 AM 3/3/04 -0000, you wrote:

      >Tonight I decided to incorporate the pre-Examdiff Tidying and saving
      >into Larry's clip. This is what I came up with:
      >
      >^!FarClip !xml: Tidy now!
      >^!Menu File/Save
      >^!Set %Comp1%=^**
      >^!Keyboard Ctrl+Tab
      >^!FarClip !xml: Tidy now!
      >^!Menu File/Save
      >^!Set %Comp2%=^**
      >^!CmdShow Maximize
      >^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff Pro\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%"
      >
      >[Don't worry about the weird-looking Far Clip -- the name of the
      >clip is actually " Tidy Now!", with two leading spaces. And *that*
      >part works.]
      >
      >In *this* version, when it gets to running the last line, instead of
      >going automatically into Examdiff, I get Examdiff's Open dialog.
      >Not only that, sometimes the two file names given in the dialog are
      >both set to the Comp2 variable!
      >
      >What gives?
      >
      >Actually, I first did the variable setting *before* each Tidy, and I
      >though the Tidy process was perhaps confusing it, so I moved them to
      >after the File Save (which is as you see it above). But that seems
      >to have made no difference.

      Try inserting a ^!Delay nn just before each of the variables are set. You
      might try using ^!Info ^%comp1%^p^%comp2% just before the examdiff line to
      see what the variables contain before examdiff is launched.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2004
        Larry Thomas wrote:

        > At 03:19 AM 3/3/04 -0000, you wrote:
        >
        >> ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff Pro\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%"
        >>
        >> In *this* version, when it gets to running the last line, instead of
        >> going automatically into Examdiff, I get Examdiff's Open dialog.
        >> Not only that, sometimes the two file names given in the dialog are
        >> both set to the Comp2 variable!
        >>
        >> What gives?
        >

        > Try inserting a ^!Delay nn just before each of the variables are
        set. You
        > might try using ^!Info ^%comp1%^p^%comp2% just before the examdiff
        line to
        > see what the variables contain before examdiff is launched.
        >
        > Regards,

        Jelks,

        It will work either way, but, to use the ^!Shell command, I think it is
        the most recent and preferred method to run a program, also, you must
        use double quotes around the program path with spaces in it.

        ^!"C:\Program Files\Examdiff Pro\EXAMDIFF.EXE" ^%Comp1% ^%Comp2%

        ^!Shell "C:\Program Files\Examdiff Pro\EXAMDIFF.EXE" ^%Comp1% ^%Comp2%

        hrs
      • Jelks Cabaniss
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2004
          Larry Thomas wrote:
          > > In *this* version, when it gets to running the last line,
          > > instead of going automatically into Examdiff, I get
          > > Examdiff's Open dialog. Not only that, sometimes the two
          > > file names given in the dialog are both set to the Comp2
          > > variable!

          > Try inserting a ^!Delay nn just before each of the variables
          > are set. You might try using ^!Info ^%comp1%^p^%comp2% just
          > before the examdiff line to see what the variables contain
          > before examdiff is launched.

          Turns out %Comp1% is cleared for some reason after the *second*
          document is Tidied. Delays have no effect, and there is no %Comp1%
          used in the far clip:

          ^!FarClip !xml: Tidy now!
          ^!Menu File/Save
          ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+Tab
          ^!Info Before 2nd Tidy:^pComp1=^%Comp1%
          ^!Delay 30
          ^!FarClip !xml: Tidy now!
          ^!Delay 30
          ^!Info After 2nd Tidy:^pComp1=^%Comp1%
          ^!Menu File/Save
          ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
          ^!CmdShow Maximize
          ^!Info Comp1=^%Comp1%^pComp2=^%Comp2%
          ;^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff Pro\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%"

          Ah, it just dawned on me: ^!ClearVariables is called in the far
          clip ...

          Update: I just did a ^!SaveValue before the 2nd Tidy and a ^!
          GetValue after it, and it now works!

          Thanks Larry!

          /Jelks