Re: [Clip] Re: Saving last used values

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Jody and others,

      At 12:06 PM 3/1/04 -0600, you wrote:
      >Hi jdfmike,
      >
      >>This is the solution! Thank you very much! [speaking to John Zeman]
      >
      >I didn't know exactly what you meant by "saving last used
      >values." There's a few different "reuses" (methods) of values for
      >a lack of better terms. You are basically just reusing a value
      >already set in the Clipbook session if I understand what you are
      >doing. It will not be saved/remembered if used in another
      >Library.
      >
      >If you use "^%p_YOUR-VARIABLE%" it can be used again in any
      >Library that calls the variable so long as you are still in the
      >same NoteTab session. That is, NoteTab has not been restarted. It
      >is the special code "p_" without the quotes that tells NoteTab to
      >remember it.

      I have discovered a situation where you must use something other than a
      variable to pass your data. There was a question sometime back from Manuel
      asking about why he could not set a variable in one clip and use it in a
      second one. That is, he was having a problem. He would run clip one and
      it would set a variable and then he would run clip two which would use the
      variable and it did not work. I told him about the ^%p_Global Variables%
      that you mentioned above. Then I came accross a situation on one of my own
      clips where the second clip could not get the contents of the variable.

      It appears that it fails if you run the clips from a clipbar. If you run
      them from the clipbook itself, then they work fine but if you run them from
      the clipbar the variable does not get passed. My understanding of the
      clipbar is that clips are loaded into RAM before being run. When this
      happens, it appears that the second clip deletes/clears the variables from
      RAM when it is loaded and run and the variable is lost. If you run the
      clip from the clipbook panel or the In-Context box, the clip is read and
      run from the library one instruction at a time and when you run the second
      clip, the variable is still in RAM and available for the second clip to
      use. I thought that you might be interested in this as it caught me off
      guard when I was writting my clip. I may have even given Manuel bad advise
      without realizing it. If so, I apologize.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hi Larry,

        >It appears that it [^%p_variable%] fails if you run the clips
        >from a clipbar. If you run them from the clipbook itself, then
        >they work fine but if you run them from the clipbar the variable
        >does not get passed.

        Yes, there are a few things that do not work (not programmed to)
        from the Clipbar and have to be run from Library to Library.
        FarClip does not work from the if I am not mistaken; wouldn't be
        the first time I am wrong though. <g>

        Take care,
        Jody Adair

        and even thou doest err some!