Re: Paring Text Statistics

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2004
      If you're new to NoteTab you'll want to learn how to use clips
      first. Then once you know how to create and use them the following
      clip commands will get you started in what you want to do:

      The first clip command line strips all html tags in the active
      document and changes the document file extension to .txt so the
      original is not modified. The second clip command merely opens the
      same text stats box you saw before.

      John

      ; Strip html tags
      ^!Menu Modify/Strip HTML Tags/Remove All Tags

      ; View stats
      ^!Menu Tools/Text Statistics

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Robert J. Emery" <rjemery@g...>
      wrote:
      > Larry from the Basic List suggested I post here. My interest in
      NoteTab
      > comes from a wish to parse a webpage and find the number of
      occurrences
      > of common and proper nouns and verbs. Larry has showed me how Text
      > Statistics can do much of that.
      >
      > Using such a saved list from Text Statistics, my next step is to
      filter
      > all words that stem from HTML syntax or other directives, and to
      > disregard common words (a, and, the, ...), a separate list of which
      > could be kept in another file.
      >
      > How can I accomplish the above?
      >
      > My ultimate goal is to pare down the saved list of words to just
      > significant nouns and verbs.
      >
      > --
      > RJ Emery
    • Robert J. Emery
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2004
        How do I go about learning clips? Please help me get started.

        --
        RJ Emery

      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2004
          Hi RJ,

          At 07:22 PM 2/25/04 -0500, you wrote:
          >How do I go about learning clips? Please help me get started.
          >
          >--
          >RJ Emery

          due to a lack of traffic and an increase in spam to the site. The
          listowner of these NoteTab sites is Jody Adair and he has placed a searies
          of helpful files on his website including a clip tutorial and a couple of
          outline files. One of the outline files is a tutorial itself on NoteTab
          Clip programing and the other is an email archive from the discontinued
          list of all of the posts to that list during its short life.

          You can download the tutorial in a file called cliptut.zip from:

          http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip

          You can use the tutorial files in this archive to learn clips. You can
          also refer to the help files that Eric Fookes (The NoteTab Author) created.
          There are two. The first one is the main help file helps you with basic
          NoteTab functions and features. You can access this file by going to the
          menu bar and selecting Help/Help Topics. The second help file helps you
          learn clip programming. To access it go to the menu bar and select
          Help/Help on clip programing. The information is in a logical outline
          format and in a alphabetical index for looking up commands.

          The biggest thing is to try things out. Copy documents and paste the
          information to a new document and then create clips and run them on the
          test doc and see what happens. Experiment and play around with things and
          have fun. You will find you will learn more that way.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê